Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Pilots Needed - Influence the Future of Drone Development!

Reaction score
Hello,

Apologies first and foremost to be soliciting your help. I am a Human Factors researcher of a large company (which I cannot disclose) that is conducting a study on drone piloting experiences (specifically focused on autonomous flight capabilities). As you all know, drones with autonomous flight are still relatively few and far between so your insights are very important. We have been able to recruit a large number of DJI pilots but still have not had any Yuneec Typhoon H applicants. I know that you all want improvements in your current and next generation drones and this is the opportunity to have your voice heard! So, if you are a Typhoon H pilot we need you!

We are conducting the study using the Dscout mobile app moments-based research tool; all you have to do to participate in the study is download Dscout app to your phone, fill out a brief application and I will admit you to the study. During the study you will just be asked to answer a short survey using your mobile phone following 4 flights. After completion of the your 4 entries you will be paid $50 via the Dscout app. Here is the link to the study (only open to US-based pilots at this time, sorry).

Thank you for reading this message and for your participation; you are pioneers of technology that is sure to make for a bright future for all drones and drone pilots!

Douglas M.
Human Factors Researcher

I'm not eligible for the survey, but if I was I'd like to know which company you represent before handing over any information.

I'm not eligible for the survey, but if I was I'd like to know which company you represent before handing over any information.
Same here. If the poster is unwilling to say who he is working for, then he should be treated with some caution.

I understand not releasing the name of the company who contracted the research. But there is no reason not to release the name of the researchers firm.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Be very thoughtful before participating in this. They ask that an App be installed on your phone. What's in the App? Spyware, malware, virus? Who is the company performing research? If they are legitimate then concealing their name is neither logical or productive. A recognized name provides credibility and obtains greater participation. They promise $50.00 for your assistance, people in Africa promise more for your help cashing "insurance", lottery" and "estate" checks. It stinks of scam and click bait. If you cannot validate a company identity you are at risk if you elect to become involved.

There's a post on another forum requesting participation in a "survey" to improve the multirotor experience. That one asks a great many question with multiple choice answers leading to legislation expanding federal control of multirotor operations. Know what you are responding to before checking an answer box. Read everything and contemplate before responding to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lotatoys
I definitely understand the trepidation. Here are the answers that will hopefully allay concerns.

1.) Why can't the company name be divulged? The reason is simple, it is to prevent bias in participant responses during their responses; the company is large enough that there is a good chance that participants sentiments of prior experiences with the products might impact how they respond. I can promise to provide the company name at the end of the study to anyone who is interested in knowing. I am an employee of the company in question not an employee of a research firm nor an employee of Dscout (which is the tool we are using to conduct the research).

2.) Is Dscout a legitimate research tool or a scam? We have been using the tool for other studies on Voice Assistants, Autonomous Driving Features, and VR headsets and have had no reason to believe that it is fraudulent in any way. You can get more information on the company by visiting their website www.dscout.com/company

3.) Is my privacy at risk by participating? No, you do not need to provide your actual name nor actual demographics information in order to participate (it is up to you). During your entries you will not be asked any private information. We are interested in your experiences piloting your drone and nothing more.

Thanks for asking these questions they are important and valid; and I hope that I have allayed some of the the concerns that everyone might have in participating. Please feel free to ask anything else before choosing whether or not to participate. Thanks for your consideration.

Douglas M.

Reactions: Old School
Sorry, but how does a person with a letter for a last name guarantee anything? There is some level of bias in all surveys so the company name should not be a problem to provide, unless it is DJI.

Thank you for recognizing the concerns as being legitimate.

Reactions: Daemon1
Sorry, but how does a person with a letter for a last name guarantee anything? There is some level of bias in all surveys so the company name should not be a problem to provide, unless it is DJI.

Thank you for recognizing the concerns as being legitimate.

Divulging the name of any recognizable company involved with drone development would have the effect of biasing participant's responses and that is not in anyone's interest (your example of "DJI" is just illuminating the point). Our only interest is in knowing how current drone capabilities are meeting pilot's needs so we can work on addressing issues or further strengthening what is liked.

Thanks again for raising these concerns.

Reactions: Daemon1
Rather than load an App with unknown contents and zero vetting by a third party, why not simply ask the questions in the open and transfer the answers to the survey format? Lacking a company name and direct contact info that's as far as I'm willing to go. Trust is gained when trust is earned. Those that trust blindly usually regret it later.

I'll start:

No company should retain operational control of their product after the sale is finalized. Meaning no company should employ restrictions such as Geo or geo fencing unless such restrictions accurately reflect the geographical areas, dimensions, and altitudes of restrictions based on current and available published legal aeronautical charts.

No company should require personal credit cards, phone numbers, or similar to "unlock" area restrictions. Being provided FAA license information is more than adequate for those qualified to operate in such locations.

No company should be able to access stored flight data or imagery without the express permission of the owner and such permission must be obtained prior to each time the system is remotely accessed.

All companies should thoroughly vet their firm/software prior to releasing for public use.

All companies should have to comply with as yet to be established minimum level of component quality standards. The FAA will mandate that pretty soon regardless.

All companies need to develop comprehensive user manuals using tech writers from the countries the product will be marketed in.

Manufacturers should enact a "lemon" program where any system returned more twice for the same fault is replaced with a new and vetted system.

As for features, there will never be a system offered with all the features necessary to satisfy everyone. Price systems according to the features offered and assure via guarantee they function correctly after sale if manufacturer instructions (comprehensive and concise instructions) were followed.

The above is not biased except towards the right of the property owner to have full control of their personal property. This is applicable to every multirotor or flight system manufacturer.

It will be probably helpful for our community to share our flight experiences with a third party. (But) I wonder why an anonymous user is asking for so much ''private'' informations without declining his own identity. Regardless the fact that we are ,anyway, exposed and clearly already identified by various interested groups, i dont think it will be ''nice'' or ''smart'' to open our doors to strangers without any cares...

Excellent "Code of Conduct" PatR, thank you!

I do understand and relate to the qualms of those who have expressed their opinions against participating. I wish I had a way to convince you that the tool we are using to collect data (Dscout) is legitimate (though a simple web search would give you that assurance). Our reason for using it is that it is a quick/convenient way for participants to provide their responses about their piloting experiences as temporally proximate as possible to their actual flight (basically, you land your drone and then fill out a few questions on a survey using the app; do that 4 times and you are done). It also facilitates our ability to reimburse participants for their efforts.

Regarding privacy, as I already mentioned. There is no requirement that you provide your real name or actual demographic info in Dscout (that is not relevant to our study findings/analysis anyway). You can participate in the study without divulging any real personal information at all. You will be effectively as anonymous to our study as you are to this forum. We are only interested in understanding your subjective opinion regarding using your drone (the fact that demographic information is asked for in the app is just the nature of the tool's design; it was not something that I was able to turn off though I am looking into it now to see if I can get Dscout to bypass those questions).

As I also mentioned before, divulging the company name would have a biasing effect on our participant responses and we would like to avoid this bias (whether positive or negative) to ensure everyone is focused on their experience piloting and not feeling swayed in one way or another. The example given before; if I were a DJI employee then it would bias your responses. At the most I can say that the company I work for provides technology solutions that are integrated or may be integrated into many drone brands.

I can provide examples of the questions that you will be answering during the mission portion of the study (so you know what you are getting into) if that helps at all. They are generally multiple choice. You would answer this same set of questions a total of 4 times after which you would be done and be reimbursed $50 for your time.

1.) In a few words, describe why you flew your drone today; what was your goal?
2.) What were the conditions like during today's flight(s)?
3.) How easy/difficult was taking off during today's flight(s)?
4.) How easy/difficult was controlling the drone's direction/altitude during today's flight(s)?
5.) How was the drone's stability (capability to hover in place) during today's flight(s)?
6.) How responsive was the drone to your inputs from the controller during today's flight(s)?
etc.

I hope this allays everyone's concerns (the internet is a dangerous place after all). There are no nefarious intent behind this study; it is a company looking to understand the drone piloting end user experience better in order to develop technologies that better meet those end user's needs and to ensure technology is tested according to those needs.

If you are not interested in participating that is completely fine. But if you would like to provide your feedback about using your drone then we would be greatly appreciative of your insights. I have heard that the easiest way to participate is to download the app on your mobile device (search the app store for "Dscout") and then apply for the study. Feel free to send me a message if you have any issues.

Thanks Pat and Daemon for your inputs and doing a public service in trying to keep others safe on the internet!

I have an old Nexus tablet that has been factory reset....no personal info on that to pull off in the event there is any embedded spyware or tracking routines.

Where are the Moderators on this? Iv' seen issue far less removed -- why is this still here?
Brian, what exactly is the issue? I have paid to be a vendor on the YuneecPilots.com forum and have posted a valid solicitation for Yuneec pilot's participation in a paid study regarding their flying experiences. My apologies if anything about what I have done does not fall within the rules of the community.

Thanks for looking out though!

I have an old Nexus tablet that has been factory reset....no personal info on that to pull off in the event there is any embedded spyware or tracking routines.
Wanderlust, always pays to be extra safe (though in the case of the Dscout app I have not heard anything that would be cause of concern; many large companies use it to conduct their studies).

Thanks, and if you choose to participate the name of the study is "Calling All Drone Pilots"; you should see it once you open the app (you might have to swipe through a few other studies. Let me know if you cannot find it and I will send you a direct link.

Douglas

What other drone manufacturers are you conducting this study with or is this a Calling All Yuneec Pilots. How many questions are on the survey, just curious.

What other drone manufacturers are you conducting this study with or is this a Calling All Yuneec Pilots. How many questions are on the survey, just curious.
Markinter, looking at any drones with autonomous or semi-autonomous flight modes and FPV (which is pretty broad). We have a good sample of participants all the way up to semi-pro class but pro-level drones/pilots are obviously more difficult to find...

Regarding the study. After you download the Dscout app, there is a initial screener that you fill out with 19 (mostly multiple choice) questions to provide info about your drone and the features you use. After that I invite you to participate in the study and you fill out an entry (survey) after each of your next 4 flights (or days of flight depending on how often you fly). Each of the entries is also mostly multiple choice 19-23 questions (there is some skip logic involved). All in all, probably about an hour's worth of work total which is why we are offering $50 compensation for participating.

Thanks and let me know if you have any additional questions,
Douglas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval