Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Plus fell from the sky!

I believe that was the likely trigger that ended the flight. The battery was near depletion and the added power demand simply dropped the voltage to a value that caused the aircraft to shut down.

However, it's also troubling that the battery dislodged on impact. That shouldn't happen if the battery latch is secure. If the battery came out it was either not locked or the latch broke on impact. So it is conceivable the battery moved enough during a high speed maneuver to loose good contact if the lock was not completely engaged.

The last 5 seconds of flight show the dramatic loss of voltage and shut down. Note the battery reconnected prior to impact.

View attachment 25271
I notice that at the bottom of this report It show 15 volts can you explain that? Also, can you explain at Line 10893 and 10894 voltage displayed at 9.2 volts yet, the craft was still flying and Voltage jumped up to 14.6 at line 10895.

I notice that at the bottom of this report It show 15 volts can you explain that? Also, can you explain at Line 10893 and 10894 voltage displayed at 9.2 volts yet, the craft was still flying and Voltage jumped up to 14.6 at line 10895.
Thanks for your insight of this incident.

The last 5 seconds of flight show the dramatic loss of voltage and shut down. Note the battery reconnected prior to impact.
I'm not agree with that. The battery was at around 50% when telemetry was dropped. Voltage came back as the drone was already down on earth.

I agree with you that most probable cause was a dislodged battery. The two datasets showing 9.2V may be an hint to oncoming contact problems.

br HE

I'm not agree with that. The battery was at around 50% when telemetry was dropped.
Agreed.
I added the RSSI and Current columns and the battery appears to have sufficient capacity with only voltage becoming unreliable. That would suggest the connections were compromised.

It's impossible to know the actual time of impact or when the battery reconnects but it is clear from reviewing similar logs the telemetry stops when the battery ejects and that usually coincides with impact. In this case there is only 0.1 seconds from reacquiring voltage to disconnect.

So I think the conclusion is simply the battery was not locked in place. Typically I hear two clicks when inserting the battery. The second click is the battery lock.

1617033028465.png

Reactions: h-elsner
These are two similar flights where the battery was not locked in place.
The first one shows the battery reconnecting before impact. Also shows a drop in voltage prior to the disconnect.
The second shows the voltage drop but the battery came out of the aircraft far enough to prevent reconnect.

1617033317742.png

1617033405483.png

Typically a line of telemetry is written 8-20 times per second. So a blip in the voltage only indicates a possible problem. Generally it's impending doom. A blip in voltage drop isn't enough to shut down the flight.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Carr
I also took a look at the log and agree that it was likely an unlatched battery. The sport mode high speed spiral ascent would have created centrifugal force to the rear of the craft. That is more sustained than high speed sprint and braking maneuvers.

I am still curious what type of battery was used. Was it a Yuneec OEM battery or third party? Was this a new aircraft from Yuneec, a factory refurb, or a previously owned system?

I surely appreciate to info you have provided. I recall that I had flipping over to sport mode as I was watching the Screen and Next thing I knew the screen froze and I was confused and looked to see what the drone was doing and it was not where it was before I look down at the screen and seen it froze but, rather laying on the ground. This is very helpful and I was wondering if this drone is less than a year old would be worth my wild and contact Yuneec and see what they have to say about it. I have since started a rebuild on the unit and having Yuneec Skins look over the board and make any necessary repairs.
Notice to all. I sent my board into Yuneec Skins and he has determine the issue with the Sudden Loss Of Power During Flight. I have attached a example file showing as he calls it the Spring Steel portion of the Battery Connection in the H Plus. Please advise all who have a H Plus to look out for this. I guess I will be using a Flash light to inspect after each Battery replacement from now on.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Typhoon H+ & H520 Sudden Loss of Power 10.1.png
    thumbnail_Typhoon H+ & H520 Sudden Loss of Power 10.1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: Mike Irish
Well I sent my mother board or main board to Yuneec Skins and John has determine the issue with the Sudden Loss Of Power During Flight on the Typhoon H Plus. I have attached a picture of the issue. Turn's out there is a Spring steel that help keep connection and it breaks off for the most part causing issue with the Voltage and thus explains as some points up to the Total loss of power there were fluctuations in the Voltage. So perhaps another Thread is in order with a title "Typhoon H Plus" Sudden Loss of Power" Sorry for the second post But, the first post disappeared and then reappeared after I made this new post. Got me.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Typhoon H+ & H520 Sudden Loss of Power 10.1.png
    thumbnail_Typhoon H+ & H520 Sudden Loss of Power 10.1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Mike Irish
Sorry to hear this! ? What is the extent of the damage?

Sorry to hear this! ? What is the extent of the damage?
A major rebuild to say the Least. Frame Damage, One arm, One expensive Camera, and Landing gear and many Feelings. LOL She, will fly again but what a set back. All in All cost about $700 dollars. The best part is that I have discovered why this happen and as I discovered with this form I am not the only one who has experience this problem. So, H Plus flyers Best Beware of this connection issue that has plaque this model from the start. And yet there are many here who I see fly them that are unaware of this issue with the flaw.

Reactions: DCH
Yes, that is a huge setback! However I'm glad to know this, I was unaware of this battery connection spring blade discovery. I have been out of the loop for a while, and I have not flown in a while. One reason due to bad batteries, the other being the sudden power loss issue. With each Plus that fell out of the sky, I feel more reluctant to fly mine. But knowing this is the issue, I feel better about it again. This is definitely a new step in my preflight. Never again will I just "Slap" another battery in there and take off.

Good luck with reading the flight logs, that is something I never figured out and still rely on the folks here to help me out with.

Yes, that is a huge setback! However I'm glad to know this, I was unaware of this battery connection spring blade discovery. I have been out of the loop for a while, and I have not flown in a while. One reason due to bad batteries, the other being the sudden power loss issue. With each Plus that fell out of the sky, I feel more reluctant to fly mine. But knowing this is the issue, I feel better about it again. This is definitely a new step in my preflight. Never again will I just "Slap" another battery in there and take off.

Good luck with reading the flight logs, that is something I never figured out and still rely on the folks here to help me out with.
Yea, It is for sure a Little flash light inspection before inserting a Battery before each flight. I am not a pro at reading the files yet, But, I had notice glitches in the voltage of the battery in one of the graph. I knew I could find expert here to help with the logs and I did. Thanks to John Mitchell with Yuneec Skins. Pointing it out after sending the board in for him to look over and he spotted it right away. He has done me right with all my purchases and help with issues like this. I only wish I had come across this issue in a Form like this before this happen. It could have been avoided. Oh well, Live, Fly and Learn sometimes the Hard way. I hope this helps many others from this tragedy!

Reactions: DCH
The connection of the battery to the main board is a Dean's Pin type (see below), and has been/is a standard throughout the industry. If that pic above is from your main board it would indeed indicate a problem. If Yuneec has copied this connection (and there is no reason to think they haven't) then perhaps there is a flaw in some of these items.

I would point out a couple things: 1] All Typhoons use these same connections for the aircraft-to-battery, though the cell connections for all Typhoon batteries are different, 2] In the past, power failures mid flight - (particularly with the 480) - seemed to indicate the battery was not fully seated, and 3] The New H3 has a tiny switch that can detect (and alert) when a battery is not properly/fully inserted.

What I am getting at is: In the past, most power failures have almost certainly been from an improperly inserted battery, we know this, and Yuneec's installation of a battery position switch in the H3 confirms this. Also, while the Deans type connector has been used in millions of applications, I can also see that perhaps Yuneec's version of it could have flaws and this could be a case of such a failure.

My point here is to not dismiss either as a potential.

@Swashplate if you post your telemetry I will take a look.

Deans.jpg

The connection of the battery to the main board is a Dean's Pin type (see below), and has been/is a standard throughout the industry. If that pic above is from your main board it would indeed indicate a problem. If Yuneec has copied this connection (and there is no reason to think they haven't) then perhaps there is a flaw in some of these items.

I would point out a couple things: 1] All Typhoons use these same connections for the aircraft-to-battery, though the cell connections for all Typhoon batteries are different, 2] In the past, power failures mid flight - (particularly with the 480) - seemed to indicate the battery was not fully seated, and 3] The New H3 has a tiny switch that can detect (and alert) when a battery is not properly/fully inserted.

What I am getting at is: In the past, most power failures have almost certainly been from an improperly inserted battery, we know this, and Yuneec's installation of a battery position switch in the H3 confirms this. Also, while the Deans type connector has been used in millions of applications, I can also see that perhaps Yuneec's version of it could have flaws and this could be a case of such a failure.

My point here is to not dismiss either as a potential.

@Swashplate if you post your telemetry I will take a look.

View attachment 25356
Right here @Ty Pilot

Post in thread 'Typhoon H Plus fell from the sky!'
Typhoon H Plus fell from the sky!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval