Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H propeller protection

Reaction score
Typhoon H propeller protector

I have ordered from a dealer in Austria the Yuneec Typhoon H propeller protector. It costs € 29,99 and I now are wondering whom also would add these to his bird? For me it is not for the looks but simply another additional safety item especially since I have experienced a hard landing with an additional flip over that damaged two propeller blades.

Arno

Trust me, If the bird goes down hard (Which will be the case in most crashes) Those flimsy prop guards are not going to save the bird one bit! !The only thing maybe it could help is if you kissed a wall straight on with .5 psi pressure! Just my 2 cents worth!;)

Reactions: David Wilson
Trust me, If the bird goes down hard (Which will be the case in most crashes) Those flimsy prop guards are not going to save the bird one bit! !The only thing maybe it could help is if you kissed a wall straight on with .5 psi pressure! Just my 2 cents worth!;)

It could actually make it worse, well That one anyway, can get all tangled up in the props and cause all kinds of badness..

Reactions: DroneClone
My two cents is that they are gonna save your bird if you run into anything solid at slow speed. The on board sonar and this should keep your bird pretty safe.

I've used prop guards on Phantoms when filming in the forest flying through trees (not over them). Many times I edged into branches and the prop guards did a great job of preventing a crash. You can bang into objects and all will be well as long as you can keep the bird horizontal.

I can't speak for how good these prop guards are for the Typhoon but I'd think they'd be fine.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
My two cents is that they are gonna save your bird if you run into anything solid at slow speed. The on board sonar and this should keep your bird pretty safe.

I've used prop guards on Phantoms when filming in the forest flying through trees (not over them). Many times I edged into branches and the prop guards did a great job of preventing a crash. You can bang into objects and all will be well as long as you can keep the bird horizontal.

I can't speak for how good these prop guards are for the Typhoon but I'd think they'd be fine.

Watch the video on how tey come out of the box, and worse how they are mounted --

Reactions: abinder
This thing, might as well tie a thread around you H and pray for mercy! Most problems are with twig branches and leaflets , this is in no way going to prevent them from entering the area of props and motors, and when they do, bye bye H !:(
This is just my thoughts and experienced based opinions from past boo boo's! If it make you feel safer and you fly at 1 mph, it may make your day better?

Watch the video on how tey come out of the box, and worse how they are mounted --
They look fine to me. Don't underestimate the benefits that having such an item can do for your drone and confidence. If I'm not mistaken, I recall reading several posts from yourself and you do appear to be in the "still learning" how to fly stage by staying near your house with flights and not venturing far or high. These guards would be great for you. You could fly around the outside of your house and slam into the walls, roof, BBQ, trees, spouse, and come away with no damage... although your spouse may not be impressed :)

As was noted above, eventually a drone will crash. Prop guards will reduce the odds of a collision.

They look fine to me. Don't underestimate the benefits that having such an item can do for your drone and confidence. If I'm not mistaken, I recall reading several posts from yourself and you do appear to be in the "still learning" how to fly stage by staying near your house with flights and not venturing far or high. These guards would be great for you. You could fly around the outside of your house and slam into the walls, roof, BBQ, trees, spouse, and come away with no damage... although your spouse may not be impressed :)

As was noted above, eventually a drone will crash. Prop guards will reduce the odds of a collision.
I tend to agree that these will help on the small bumps into walls and or items. The cord around the outside is not the part to save it as much as the hard part mounted off the motor.

This thing, might as well tie a thread around you H and pray for mercy! Most problems are with twig branches and leaflets , this is in no way going to prevent them from entering the area of props and motors, and when they do, bye bye H !:(
This is just my thoughts and experienced based opinions from past boo boo's! If it make you feel safer and you fly at 1 mph, it may make your day better?
Ugggg.... I feel like I have to defend prop guards.

OK, from my experience with prop guards on a Phantom. You can fly into a tree at slow speed, you can fly into branches at slow speed. You can rise up into branches and you can descend into branches. What happens is the drone bounces off the object. As a pilot you need to react and pull the drone away from the object quickly. If you sit there and let it continue to grind the props into a branch it's not going to remain horizontal for very long and then it's going to flip and crash.

That's it, no more "defender of the prop guards" role for me. I'll just end with the old "don't knock the prop guards for the Typhoon H until you've tried them". I'm taking my Phantom prop guards and going home now. :)

They are perfect for indoor shoots...like glacial ice caves or architecture

Reactions: Brian Mackey
All I can say about propeller guards having some experience with them is that Murphy's Law comes into play. If one of the connections can come loose it will come loose as I have experienced and the irony is that the very thing that is supposed to protect your blades will chew them up in a hurry. Unless you are extremely experienced and I do mean extremely experienced you should not be flying anywhere near anything you could possibly hit anyway. If you are experienced then you don't need prop guards.

Reactions: Grimsin
All I can say about propeller guards having some experience with them is that Murphy's Law comes into play. If one of the connections can come loose it will come loose as I have experienced and the irony is that the very thing that is supposed to protect your blades will chew them up in a hurry. Unless you are extremely experienced and I do mean extremely experienced you should not be flying anywhere near anything you could possibly hit anyway. If you are experienced then you don't need prop guards.
I disagree downdrafts flying thru door ways....propwash thru narrow hallways...I've found them quite handy, slight brushes of walls in narrow places with expo cut to 50% sometimes cannot be avoided...I'm not speaking about crashing and relying on them I'm speaking about a layer of protection to proceed with a difficult shot...shooting ballerinas for instance...I would never make assumptions since those of us who do this for a living may approach in a manner different from someone else predicated on previous experience . www.michaelkienitz.com

Guys,

Next to flying into trees, against a wall ect. For me it is very important that when I would have a fly away or no controls in any form of my bird I have taken all the possible protection to reduce injuries to people and or animals.

Does it look great no, does it reduce injuries by propeller blades that´s the main question. When my uncontrolled bird would hit a adult or even worse a child I for a fact have taken any possible safety measures I could.

Arno

OK, from my experience with prop guards on a Phantom. You can fly into a tree at slow speed, you can fly into branches at slow speed. You can rise up into branches and you can descend into branches. What happens is the drone bounces off the object. As a pilot you need to react and pull the drone away from the object quickly. If you sit there and let it continue to grind the props into a branch it's not going to remain horizontal for very long and then it's going to flip and crash.

That's it, no more "defender of the prop guards" role for me. I'll just end with the old "don't knock the prop guards for the Typhoon H until you've tried them". I'm taking my Phantom prop guards and going home now. :)
You do not have to defend them, and no one is needing you to my friend, you have a opinion and the OP asked a question about using prop guards, you gave your, and I gave mine!, And we can both do as we wish and fly having fun and being safe !
Anyone who asks a question is going to get answers that are of different opinions based on personal preference !;)
I tried them, and did not like them for several reasons and that is all I stated!

Next to flying into trees, against a wall ect. For me it is very important that when I would have a fly away or no controls in any form of my bird I have taken all the possible protection to reduce injuries to people and or animals.

Does it look great no, does it reduce injuries by propeller blades that´s the main question. When my uncontrolled bird would hit a adult or even worse a child I for a fact have taken any possible safety measures I could.

Arno

Agree with Arno and CD. I'll get one when they're more available here in States. I didn't like seat belts when they first appeared.

Morning :) yes you recall correct, but if watch the video on how these are installed , I just do not think they are for me. I would prefer something without the continuous wire around it, that just, but I should probably shut up LOL I have not seen it in person..

LOL Sandbox is now closed :)

Typhoon H propeller protector

I have ordered from a dealer in Austria the Yuneec Typhoon H propeller protector. It costs € 29,99 and I now are wondering whom also would add these to his bird? For me it is not for the looks but simply another additional safety item especially since I have experienced a hard landing with an additional flip over that damaged two propeller blades.

Arno

Link please

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz