Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Simplified 3.9 mm lens install video 2.5 minutes

Here are my focus results. It is remarkably better. These are Jpeg raw with no post processing. At this point I don't think I will invest in a better lens. I also figured out a way to do the focusing using my phone/tablet without the need for a tv or taking out the sd card back to a computer. I will post a write up tomorrow.
It is obvious which picture is before focusing. From the details of the roof, It looks like I lost focus in the first 2 feet of the picture, but I will take that any day to gain sharpness in the distance.
Please post that write up! My Typhoon is on it's way and I would love to make this my first fine tune adjustment. Excellent results! This may save some pilots from purchasing a new lens right away.

Here is a video on how to quickly and easily change your 3.9mm lens. The running time is less than
2.5 minutes...not entertaining just informational. This will void your warranty I would assume.

I'm looking on Skydrones USA's website at two listings for the 3.9mm lens. One sells for $140 and another for $260. I'm not seeing any difference between the two lenses other than price. Am I missing something?

N/M - I just noticed one is RGB and the other is NDVI. Which one should I get for the Typhoon H?

I'm looking on Skydrones USA's website at two listings for the 3.9mm lens. One sells for $140 and another for $260. I'm not seeing any difference between the two lenses other than price. Am I missing something?

N/M - I just noticed one is RGB and the other is NDVI. Which one should I get for the Typhoon H?
have you tried refocusing your own before getting a replacement?

Here's are some pictures I took. Zoom in to see the difference
One is the stock lens, then there's one with the stock lens adjusted and the third one is with the Peau Lens. Looks like that the stock lens can create a decent image when adjusted right. In either way I tried to get it as sharp as possible. The Peau one was taken in natural mode, so it doesn't look as the other ones from a color standpoint of view.

There's only one question I have....would it make sense to adjust the lens to near perfect focus in DNG/RAW Mode as there is no sharpening applied. Therefore less sharpening would be required in JPG Mode
To my eye the tweaked stock lens appears to have sharpening artefacts, look at the brown gazebo thing on the left and compare with the original, what did you mean by adjusted? re focussed or processed?. The stock lens also suffers from Chromatic Abberration, look at the treeline and compare it with the Peau which I cannot see any from a quick look but does seem to be off on the focus at the edges

Three weeks ago, I tried installing a 5.4 mm lens, that is my lens of choice because it has a field of view of only 64 degrees, the stock lens has a field of view of 98 degrees...the narrow the field of view the less distortion. (I've installed about 10 of those on GoPros when I flew Phantoms) However the 5.4 will not focus in the lens mount...you need a deeper mount. Removing the old mount is problematic because of the epoxy glue they used and there are also 4 hair thin wires connected to a board smaller than a postage stamp which controls the gimbal which is very delicate. Each of those wire is finely soldered with a tiny dot of solder So I've settled for now with 3.9mm lens which has a field of view of 84 degrees. I like to fly low and close to my subjects and this lens allows me to have the image closer at a greater distance with less distortion. I got my 3.9mm lens from Skydrones USA in Iowa.

Do you know if it is possible to change the stock lens of the Typhoon H with one GoPro Hero 2 or 3 ?
Can be directly screwed or its a diferent thread pitch?
I like the anti flare/color aberration coating in the Hero´s lens

What do you think?

One is the stock lens, then there's one with the stock lens adjusted and the third one is with the Peau Lens. Looks like that the stock lens can create a decent image when adjusted right. In either way I tried to get it as sharp as possible. The Peau one was taken in natural mode, so it doesn't look as the other ones from a color standpoint of view.

There's only one question I have....would it make sense to adjust the lens to near perfect focus in DNG/RAW Mode as there is no sharpening applied. Therefore less sharpening would be required in JPG Mode

I have the same focus problem with my stock lens. How is the procedure to refocus the stock lens?
Tks!

Three weeks ago, I tried installing a 5.4 mm lens, that is my lens of choice because it has a field of view of only 64 degrees, the stock lens has a field of view of 98 degrees...the narrow the field of view the less distortion. (I've installed about 10 of those on GoPros when I flew Phantoms) However the 5.4 will not focus in the lens mount...you need a deeper mount. Removing the old mount is problematic because of the epoxy glue they used and there are also 4 hair thin wires connected to a board smaller than a postage stamp which controls the gimbal which is very delicate. Each of those wire is finely soldered with a tiny dot of solder So I've settled for now with 3.9mm lens which has a field of view of 84 degrees. I like to fly low and close to my subjects and this lens allows me to have the image closer at a greater distance with less distortion. I got my 3.9mm lens from Skydrones USA in Iowa.

I see 2 3.9mm listed one RGB the other NDVI, can you explain the differences??
Tim

I have the same focus problem with my stock lens. How is the procedure to refocus the stock lens?
Tks!

There's a video posted somewhere on Howto open it. After I scraped the epoxy off I went outside (as it was nice and bright) and slowly turned it out a little bit. I used the clock as an example. I turned it from 12 to 1 then took a picture. Turned it to 2 and took another one. Then inspected them and found that my best position was between 12 And 1.

But then I questioned if I should take a photo in raw and tune the lens to its best appearance there, as in jpg some sharpening is applied

Do you know if it is possible to change the stock lens of the Typhoon H with one GoPro Hero 2 or 3 ?
Can be directly screwed or its a diferent thread pitch?
I like the anti flare/color aberration coating in the Hero´s lens

What do you think?
The threading is the same they are all M12 Board Lenses but I've only changed out stock GoPro 3 and 4 lenses to lenses which are not as wide a field of view. Never tried GP2 The Yuneec lens has a 4.65mm back focus. The GP3 and GP4 stock lens will easily screw in and it should have a back focus which is compatible to the Yuneec camera. I would never do what you're contemplating however because that lens is much too wide for good video and stills in my opinion your props will show in every photo and every frame of video..the stock GoPro lenses have a field of view of 160 degrees, the stock Yuneec lens has a field of view of 98 degrees.

Please show the Peau Lens foto at +300 % zoom. At the left side w have always low sharpness. This is a general problem of the Peau lens.

Last edited:
There's a video posted somewhere on How to open it. After I scraped the epoxy off I went outside (as it was nice and bright) and slowly turned it out a little bit. I used the clock as an example. I turned it from 12 to 1 then took a picture. Turned it to 2 and took another one. Then inspected them and found that my best position was between 12 And 1.

Some people think too much...just use jpeg files...largest file sized jpeg taken of exact same subject in exact same light is when lens is most in focus.

The Peau lens is not the right choice for the CGo3+ .We think that the stock lens with exact focus is the better choice for the Typhoon H.
Who installed the lens? Did you do the comparison on a day with the same light? If for example if the Peau was shot on a cloudy day it would appear
less sharp than the other lens on a sunny day. Did you use the same shutter speed for both...why don't you post the two examples?

Three different peiple who installed the Peau lens have the same problem with his CGO3+ cam. Any owner of the Typhoon H has a problem with the focus of the cam but when you show the videos on youtube you see often a problem with the sharpness in the left of the picture of the Peau lens. We send Peau an email and the answer is we should focussing the edge. Thats not a solution. Have you any DNG / Raw Picture of your modified Peau Lens cam?

There's a video posted somewhere on Howto open it. After I scraped the epoxy off I went outside (as it was nice and bright) and slowly turned it out a little bit. I used the clock as an example. I turned it from 12 to 1 then took a picture. Turned it to 2 and took another one. Then inspected them and found that my best position was between 12 And 1.

But then I questioned if I should take a photo in raw and tune the lens to its best appearance there, as in jpg some sharpening is applied

Tks for your reply! I´ve imagined that i had to turn the lens counterclockwise. Thinking: CCW=geting the lens elements closer to the "focal plane" of the sensor and therefore setting the resulting "focus" more against the infinit.
But you say "...slowly turned it out a little bit. I used the clock as an example. I turned it from 12 to 1..." So, it is more away from this "focal plane" of the sensor. Interesting. UNLESS YOU WAS LOOKING THE LENS FROM THE FRONT, NOT FROM THE CIRCUIT BOARD...:D...
I will do as you advise, taking dng pictures in RAW for the best optimal refocus.
Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss