Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H520 demo from Yuneec Staff in France

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will notice on the ST16 photo that the level of drone battery is now expressed in percentage ...
Yuneec finally understood that it was much more relevant than a simple voltage !
Some of us may disagree that percentage is more relevant. If you know about lipos, you already now what is a fully charged reading and what voltage to land at. Some people won't go too much below 15 volts; others will go down to 14.2 volts. What would percentage mean? Would 0% = 14.3v or 14.1v or 12.8v or even 0v???
Voltage is an absolute value and helps us understand our batteries whereas percentage is just a scale set by some unknown person.

Some of us may disagree that percentage is more relevant. If you know about lipos, you already now what is a fully charged reading and what voltage to land at. Some people won't go too much below 15 volts; others will go down to 14.2 volts. What would percentage mean? Would 0% = 14.3v or 14.1v or 12.8v or even 0v???
Voltage is an absolute value and helps us understand our batteries whereas percentage is just a scale set by some unknown person.

I agree with you for people knowing exactly how Lipos work. But for others, this value can be more relevant. The question is (as you mentioned it) on which value does this percentage relies ? This could be a good question to submit to Yunneec staff !

The advantage of a percentage is that you can get a good indication of the remaining usable battery capacity with just a glance without having to do any math in your head for battery chemistry and cell count. Also, the percentage can be smoothed out to account for high-drain events or recovery, and have a built-in margin of error. I think it's a good change for the average user.

I agree with you for people knowing exactly how Lipos work. But for others, this value can be more relevant. The question is (as you mentioned it) on which value does this percentage relies ? This could be a good question to submit to Yunneec staff !

I'm not a software guy but it seems that they now have the ability to do either the Percentage or the Voltage; perhaps they could make it so that we (end users) can switch between the two, maybe just a tap of the battery voltage icon and it goes to percentage and visa versa?

hello,
At this meeting, we learned that the E90 camera will not be compatible with the Typhoon H, which is very unfortunate compared to what Yunnec sold us more than a year ago that the Typhoon h would be a Compatible platform for future cameras

hello,
At this meeting, we learned that the E90 camera will not be compatible with the Typhoon H, which is very unfortunate compared to what Yunnec sold us more than a year ago that the Typhoon h would be a Compatible platform for future cameras

I don't know about you guys and gals, but my head is spinning. I'm just going to turn it all off until things are sold and confirmed. Thanks for the word oliver.

Yuneec Typhoon H EU

hello,
Yeah. That peeves me too. One of the factors in my choosing the H480 was the promise of future compatible cameras.

hello,
Correct, the E90 will not be compatible with the TH. However, the E50x will be.

Yuneec never promised that all future cameras would be compatible, only that there would be camera upgrades. They have delivered on that promise with the CGOET and will be delivering on it with the E50x.

It's also been confirmed that a new CGO3+ with a better lens is coming for the standard "H." It's possible they may bump up the bit-rate too or something in addition to a lens, who knows...

You will notice on the ST16 photo that the level of drone battery is now expressed in percentage ...
Yuneec finally understood that it was much more relevant than a simple voltage !

I disagree. Some personal intelligence is necessary to fly these things and understanding the battery and useful voltage levels is critical to safe operations. The user questions that will follow after the releases of a percentage method will revolve around how far down in percent can a battery be driven, and why if the battery was showing 50% was the aircraft not able to fly back against the wind. Then we have the charging issues that will spring forth.

and why if the battery was showing 50% was the aircraft not able to fly back against the wind.
I don't see how having the voltage shown instead is going to make that any easier for the average user to grasp.

Anyone understands that flying a drone into a headwind requires more power than flying downwind. People aren't going to take off, fly downwind until the battery hits 50%, and then wonder why they didn't make it back.

Actually, newbies don't. There have been a lot of posts in different forums that flew out far, let the battery go past the first warning, and dumped it before it made it back. Some over water. All of them blamed the H for their ignorance and inattention.

The advantage of a percentage is that you can get a good indication of the remaining usable battery capacity with just a glance without having to do any math in your head for battery chemistry and cell count. Also, the percentage can be smoothed out to account for high-drain events or recovery, and have a built-in margin of error. I think it's a good change for the average user.
What math? >16v = fly; < 14.5v = land. How difficult is that? Also I don't want the power levels "smoothed out" for high power maneuvers; I want to know when I am imposing an excessive drain on my battery especially towards the end of a flight. Or would negative percentage show this in a more understandable form? The best change for the average user is learning their craft.

I don't see how having the voltage shown instead is going to make that any easier for the average user to grasp.

Anyone understands that flying a drone into a headwind requires more power than flying downwind. People aren't going to take off, fly downwind until the battery hits 50%, and then wonder why they didn't make it back.
I don't think that "average" people buy H520. Those who does knows about LIPO so voltage is by far the best way to show battery status.

I think it's everyone's business ... in other words being able to switch from volts to percentage and vice versa would be great, so everyone could use the system that speaks best to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital