Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H520 demo from Yuneec Staff in France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, the E90 will not be compatible with the TH. However, the E50x will be.

Yuneec never promised that all future cameras would be compatible, only that there would be camera upgrades. They have delivered on that promise with the CGOET and will be delivering on it with the E50x.

That's true yes and no. The one that had to fit on the H480 was called CGO-CI, just change the name, so that one does not lie, but commercially, it's mocking people, and I am one of the people who make a single mockery make me change suppliers. Remember the shape of the CGO-CI at CES 2017, it was a CG03 + with a label. Everyone was certain that she would adapt on the 480

I would hold on for a while before making decisions about the cameras. There are conflicting reports from different parts of Yuneec. At present, the only incompatible camera is apparently the E90 (the 20MP, 1 inch sensor model). All of the other cameras should be interchangeable as far as I have heard.

However, I have also been told that the issue with the E90 may be fixed by a firmware update later on. At launch they are focusing on making it work with the H520 (as they will be bundled) and it's fairly unlikely you'll be able to buy an E90 by itself for a while. Once initial orders are fulfilled, it is still possible that there will be a firmware update to make it work with the older Typhoon H. Right now, all engineering work is going into getting the H520 launched.

So, before anyone draws any conclusions from rumours, I suggest we see what we are told once the H520 has been launched and all of the Yuneec distributors can agree on what is happening next.

I would hold on for a while before making decisions about the cameras. There are conflicting reports from different parts of Yuneec. At present, the only incompatible camera is apparently the E90 (the 20MP, 1 inch sensor model). All of the other cameras should be interchangeable as far as I have heard.

However, I have also been told that the issue with the E90 may be fixed by a firmware update later on. At launch they are focusing on making it work with the H520 (as they will be bundled) and it's fairly unlikely you'll be able to buy an E90 by itself for a while. Once initial orders are fulfilled, it is still possible that there will be a firmware update to make it work with the older Typhoon H. Right now, all engineering work is going into getting the H520 launched.

So, before anyone draws any conclusions from rumours, I suggest we see what we are told once the H520 has been launched and all of the Yuneec distributors can agree on what is happening next.

"However, I have also been, However, I have also been"
It would be nice if Yuneec officially communicated on these subjects, since since January 2017, we are in the vagueness
In France, this is called the "Arlesienne "

I don't think that "average" people buy H520. Those who does knows about LIPO so voltage is by far the best way to show battery status.
My comment wasn't about the H520 and its buyers/operators, but the voltage vs. remaining percentage in general.

Actually, newbies don't. There have been a lot of posts in different forums that flew out far, let the battery go past the first warning, and dumped it before it made it back. Some over water. All of them blamed the H for their ignorance and inattention.
And for those people, having a voltage shown is absolutely meaningless, whereas having a percentage shown is easily understood.

The bottom line is that Yuneec should make the display configurable.

Why be in such a hurry? After several years of this stuff experience has shown that products rushed out the door tend to be laden with issues that may or may not be corrected. Thus far Yuneec has demonstrated a propensity for product improvement and feature expansion combined with bug fixes in firmware updates rather than forcing users to repeatedly upgrade through new multirotor purchases. It should be easy to understand a desire to focus on having the latest product release correct and proven prior to release, which in turn would establish what would or would not be backwards compatible with earlier platforms. That anything for the 520 would be backwards compatible for the H is a considerable break from the industry tradition of releasing new products every 6 months that obsolete the previous products. Patience is a virtue;)

In the meantime spend some of the time you've been chomping at the bit in perfecting your camera technique. Many have yet to obtain the performance from the H camera that it's capable of, which is quite a lot. Although the 520 platform should deliver even more, those that have yet to learn what they have will experience similar limitations with the 520. The skills of the photographer make the image what it can be if they understand their tools adequately.

Last edited:
And for those people, having a voltage shown is absolutely meaningless, whereas having a percentage shown is easily understood.

The bottom line is that Yuneec should make the display configurable.
Why do you assume that newbies are stupid? To own a H480 you are either fairly rich or have worked your way up from other aircraft or are in business with it. In most cases you are used to learning about flight and aircraft. One of the joys of the H is the amount of telemetry there is on screen and in the log files and this helps us understand how our aircraft is behaving. The more we understand, the safer we can fly and the better we can react to any problems. It is better for people to learn rather than to dumb down the technology we have.

Reactions: Marty Westguard
As nothing is known about the percentage reading we should stop judging it. For all we know Yuneec have built in a current sensor to the H520 and measure the mAh drawn from the battery and relay that in percentage. Now THAT would be a better way to monitor consumption and I would be all for that. Anyone who knows about LiPo's knows that the way the voltage decreases is very non-linear and can change with cycle count so it's useful to measure the mAh used too.

Why do you assume that newbies are stupid? To own a H480 you are either fairly rich or have worked your way up from other aircraft or are in business with it. In most cases you are used to learning about flight and aircraft. One of the joys of the H is the amount of telemetry there is on screen and in the log files and this helps us understand how our aircraft is behaving. The more we understand, the safer we can fly and the better we can react to any problems. It is better for people to learn rather than to dumb down the technology we have.
I never said newbies are stupid. All I'm saying is that a percentage is more easily understood than a non-linear, non-zero based metric where the usable range is a fraction of the measured value. With the voltage displayed, most people will not know when they have reached half the remaining capacity.

There are many posts here from people who crashed their TH on the first flight because they haven't bothered reading the manual. They don't know what the Smart Circle is, they don't know about different flight modes, they don't know how to lock the battery in place, they make false assumptions about Obstacle Avoidance and RealSense, and they don't know how to recognize battery warnings. They'll wonder why the ST16 is vibrating and trying to get their attention. Most wouldn't be able to tell you about battery chemistry, cell count, and battery conditioning/maintenance. Those people are better off with a percentage display.

I never said newbies are stupid. All I'm saying is that a percentage is more easily understood than a non-linear, non-zero based metric where the usable range is a fraction of the measured value. With the voltage displayed, most people will not know when they have reached half the remaining capacity.

There are many posts here from people who crashed their TH on the first flight because they haven't bothered reading the manual. They don't know what the Smart Circle is, they don't know about different flight modes, they don't know how to lock the battery in place, they make false assumptions about Obstacle Avoidance and RealSense, and they don't know how to recognize battery warnings. They'll wonder why the ST16 is vibrating and trying to get their attention. Most wouldn't be able to tell you about battery chemistry, cell count, and battery conditioning/maintenance. Those people are better off with a percentage display.
We will have to agree to disagree.

Using our batteries is not rocket science.

Allowing for a small safety buffer we have ~2v of available battery power to work with if we start out with a fully charged battery. 16.6V to 14.6V. Halfway puts it at 15.6V. Although the first battery warning occurs at between 14.4V and 14.3V, with the final warning at 14.1, there's truly no reason to always fly a battery to the absolute usable bottom. So we set up a safety buffer of only 0.3V between useful and the first warning, and the H should be on the ground before the first warning occurs. Having the H on the ground before the first warning means you never have to dip into emergency reserves. As our experience level and system understanding increases we can push the envelope a little more but we should always allow for a voltage reserve to assure we can always get back and never damage a battery.

I don't know of too many people that wait to roll into a gas station to fill up until the engine is sputtering because it's running out of gas. Electric aviation is no different except that doing so will ruin the electric "gas tank".

Think like an aviator, where the pilot is required to land with a minimum of 30 minutes of fuel remaining in the tanks during the day, and 45 minutes remaining at night. An aviator flying under instrument conditions is required to have enough fuel to get to the destination, plus an alternate airport in case unable to land at the primary airport, plus one hour of fuel remaining in the tanks. We don't need to go to that extreme but we do need to plan with some level of reserve in mind. They also only trust a fuel gauge at two points. When it's full and when it reads zero.

Last edited:
I don't see how having the voltage shown instead is going to make that any easier for the average user to grasp.

Anyone understands that flying a drone into a headwind requires more power than flying downwind. People aren't going to take off, fly downwind until the battery hits 50%, and then wonder why they didn't make it back.

Yes they are.

Reactions: Rayray
Indeed. Some fly off into the wild blue yonder until the first warning and get mad when it doesn't come back.

Reactions: Quagmire LXIX
I can understand a strong preference for having the voltage displayed, but from a usability standpoint the percentage is easier for most people to comprehend. I hope Yuneec accommodates both types of users.

Peace.

That is actually the best way.

That's how I fly all my other fpv planes. Bad thing is as the battery ages the usable mah decreases and that will mess with some..[emoji47]
The other question about the % is will they go from 100 -0 or will it be like the bar 50% is 50% of voltage example(simplified) let's say lipo cell min voltage of 3.2v 0% and the max voltage of 4.2 100% so 3.7v is 50% so 14.4pack voltage is 40%.
Which means we land at 40% not 0%. So even the % can and will confuse some........

And will the percentage estimator take into account the more rapid voltage drop as voltage decreases past the "knee"?

Using our batteries is not rocket science.

Allowing for a small safety buffer we have ~2v of available battery power to work with if we start out with a fully charged battery. 16.6V to 14.6V. Halfway puts it at 15.6V. Although the first battery warning occurs at between 14.4V and 14.3V, with the final warning at 14.1, there's truly no reason to always fly a battery to the absolute usable bottom. So we set up a safety buffer of only 0.3V between useful and the first warning, and the H should be on the ground before the first warning occurs. Having the H on the ground before the first warning means you never have to dip into emergency reserves. As our experience level and system understanding increases we can push the envelope a little more but we should always allow for a voltage reserve to assure we can always get back and never damage a battery.

I don't know of too many people that wait to roll into a gas station to fill up until the engine is sputtering because it's running out of gas. Electric aviation is no different except that doing so will ruin the electric "gas tank".

Think like an aviator, where the pilot is required to land with a minimum of 30 minutes of fuel remaining in the tanks during the day, and 45 minutes remaining at night. An aviator flying under instrument conditions is required to have enough fuel to get to the destination, plus an alternate airport in case unable to land at the primary airport, plus one hour of fuel remaining in the tanks. We don't need to go to that extreme but we do need to plan with some level of reserve in mind. They also only trust a fuel gauge at two points. When it's full and when it reads zero.

Great explanation PatR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech