Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Uploading Clear Pictures and Videos

Reaction score
Whenever I try upload the pics/vids that I took on my Typhoon H to my computer to view them, they are always blurry in some parts, and I realize that is probably because my computer can't handle the high resolution of the actual pic/vid. What is the best way to make sure the pictures and videos taken on the H are clear and crisp when uploaded to my computer or transferred to my phone?

Pictures, especially JPEGs will not look different on even a slow computer, it may take a moment for the picture viewer to display them but they will look as they are. Videos on the other hand may not play on a slower computer but it all depends on the resolution they were shot in. Do you know what the setting were that you shot the images and video in? Also make sure you are using a fast enough SD card. And lastly, you are not viewing the images stored in the ST-16 by any chance are you?

Reactions: biltno
Pictures, especially JPEGs will not look different on even a slow computer, it may take a moment for the picture viewer to display them but they will look as they are. Videos on the other hand may not play on a slower computer but it all depends on the resolution they were shot in. Do you know what the setting were that you shot the images and video in? Also make sure you are using a fast enough SD card. And lastly, you are not viewing the images stored in the ST-16 by any chance are you?
For pictures I make sure I am in picture mode. I've been taking PNG photos lately just to experiment with the different types of pictures I can take. When uploading the pics to my computer I plug in the ST16 to the USB port in my computer and import them from there. Does it make a difference if I upload the pics to my computer that way as oppose to taking the SD card out of the camera and plugging that into my computer instead?

Okay, I thought this might be the problem. The pics stored on the ST-16 are low resolution (720P) versions that were transmitted to the controller during flight and are useless for anything other than viewing while flying. This is why they look pixelated and/or distorted.

The actual images are on the SD card in the camera. Also the CG03+ Can take JPEGs or DNG's or Both. DNG's will give the highest resolution but they will need to be processed before you can see them.

The histogram helps me out a lot. If you are unaware how to use it look it up. It made a big difference for me starting off

What @Ty Pilot said ^^^^^^^^^^^

The good stuff is on the SD card......and the DNG’s are the best possible images. Also, make sure, in camera settings, you’re setup to capture the highest resolution. I always capture the highest level dings and after running the keepers through Lightroom, I can export the images with Settings appropriate to the need: hi-res images for the client; low-res JPG’s for posting on Social Media (to load faster, SEO optimized); tiff’s for the printer....and everything in-between.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
What TY Pilot said x2

Unless I'm taking pictures for a client I drop all my stills from video using VLC Media player. These days I shoot all my video at 4K so the stills I drop from video are always nice and crisp producing file sizes of around 9Mb. If I want to use those images in social media I run them through GIMP to touch up and then export them as JPEG files.

As was said above, the ST16 low resolution copies are only needed if you loose the H.
I wish my PC had the power to handle 4K.

As was said above, the ST16 low resolution copies are only needed if you loose the H.
I wish my PC had the power to handle 4K.
I struggled with a laptop that couldn't handle 4K. It was a pain. Best thing I ever did was to get a gaming tower half way through last year. Just plug in to my 4K TV and presto!...we have lift off.

I struggled with a laptop that couldn't handle 4K. It was a pain. Best thing I ever did was to get a gaming tower half way through last year. Just plug in to my 4K TV and presto!...we have lift off.
So, How noticeable is the difference 1080p vs. 4K?

When played on a true 4K capable viewing device like a 4K television the quality difference is stark. On my 4K tv I don't necessarily need my tower computer plugged in...I can just put the footage onto a USB stick and plug that in to the TV. I don't though, because my tower computer is permanently plugged in to the tv. If you have a 4K tv why not try a USB stick?

If using a computer to view 4K on a tv then that computer needs to have the guts to do it...good 4K graphics card, etc.

Depends on who is looking at it. Those who are new to video editing or photo editing may not be used to 'pixel peeking' which; is sort of like giving the image a close examination. Videos I shot years ago in 720 looked great to me then, now I can't believe how low resolution they are. 4K is essentially 4 times the resolution - twice as tall and twice as wide as 1920 x 1080 hence the pixels of 4K are 3840 x 2160.

While not everyone can view true 4K there are an overwhelming number of reasons to shoot at that resolution. As I mentioned, down the road 4K will be the norm and 1080 will look very dated at some point - some would ague that we are already there but I don't think that is the case just yet. I started shooting everything in 4K a year ago when I got all of my other camera gear up to speed.

I believe a 4K clip down-sampled to 1080 in a proper editor will retain a better picture and has more potential, than a clip that is shot originally in 1080. Video sites like Youtube, when given a full 4K video produce smaller versions so a larger audience can participate in viewing, and I believe that even Youtubes' 1080 version of my 4K videos look better than videos I shot just two years ago in 1080 like my First Typhoon videos. Now some of the reason for that is of course I am shooting with much better cameras now.

Long story short, yes; 4K will ultimately look much better especially if you can actually see in full size. As Flush mentioned, once you get enough computer to work with 4K, you'll be glad and never look back.

P.S. not to take this thread too far off track but for those new to editing, some editors now, such as Power Director, allow the use of 'proxies' - basically the editor makes a low resolution version of your clip so it is easy to work with while your putting things on the time line and scrubbing through them. When making the final edit - PD then uses the actual clip and makes any changes you put into the proxy - into the full clip as it renders out. This used to be one of the pluses of using pro editing suites like Adobe years ago but now it is a boon to allow even moderate computers to work with 4K. Though the render times can take a very long time. ;)

Depends on who is looking at it. Those who are new to video editing or photo editing may not be used to 'pixel peeking' which; is sort of like giving the image a close examination. Videos I shot years ago in 720 looked great to me then, now I can't believe how low resolution they are. 4K is essentially 4 times the resolution - twice as tall and twice as wide as 1920 x 1080 hence the pixels of 4K are 3840 x 2160.

While not everyone can view true 4K there are an overwhelming number of reasons to shoot at that resolution. As I mentioned, down the road 4K will be the norm and 1080 will look very dated at some point - some would ague that we are already there but I don't think that is the case just yet. I started shooting everything in 4K a year ago when I got all of my other camera gear up to speed.

I believe a 4K clip down-sampled to 1080 in a proper editor will retain a better picture and has more potential, than a clip that is shot originally in 1080. Video sites like Youtube, when given a full 4K video produce smaller versions so a larger audience can participate in viewing, and I believe that even Youtubes' 1080 version of my 4K videos look better than videos I shot just two years ago in 1080 like my First Typhoon videos. Now some of the reason for that is of course I am shooting with much better cameras now.

Long story short, yes; 4K will ultimately look much better especially if you can actually see in full size. As Flush mentioned, once you get enough computer to work with 4K, you'll be glad and never look back.

P.S. not to take this thread too far off track but for those new to editing, some editors now, such as Power Director, allow the use of 'proxies' - basically the editor makes a low resolution version of your clip so it is easy to work with while your putting things on the time line and scrubbing through them. When making the final edit - PD then uses the actual clip and makes any changes you put into the proxy - into the full clip as it renders out. This used to be one of the pluses of using pro editing suites like Adobe years ago but now it is a boon to allow even moderate computers to work with 4K. Though the render times can take a very long time. ;)
Before I upgraded to a 4K capable computer I used to do all my recreational aerial video in 1080 and only shot in 4K for commercial jobs, and only then when the client specifically asked for 4K video. I couldn't see the 4K render so I used to render out again at 1080 so that I could see what I produced: I couldn't see a rendered 4K but I was able to edit 4K...my old lap top could just about handle that (incidentally, most my commercial jobs to date have been for still photography).

Up until I got my new computer I was happy with my stuff at 1080. It was, for me, certainly good enough for my recreation vids. But I got fed up with not being able to see the full potential of the CGO3+ so when my laptop had a funny turn last year (incidentally, it's working fine now) I took the plunge in getting this 4K dream machine. It's only now that I fully appreciate the 4K. What have I been missing! And to see it on this big 4K tv is astounding.

I noticed a striking difference. I have a Samsung 55” 8 series.....and everything in HD looks fantastic....then I streamed Man in the High Castle from my FireTV 4K.....in 4K....and it was amazing.

As a side note, many of the 4K TVs produced over the last 3-4 years also do a decent job of "uprezzing" HD video to 4K video. Technically it's not a huge leap to do that. While not a substitute for true 4K content it will fool/suffice for a lot of people.

True 4K content viewed on a 4k or 5K computer monitor is noticeably better. For best results most are at least 27" monitors. The computers require sufficiently fast CPUs, RAM, GPUs and disk space.

Going above the casual....

The other part of excellent video requires calibration of the monitor for accurate color. Popular calibration tools include those from X-Rite and Spyder. Most serious photographers and videographers calibrate their monitors and control the lighting and surroundings where they do critical color editing.

Few if any consumers even know that their 4K TVs are likely not showing accurate color.

I realize that the latter portion of this post is way beyond what most require as clients and consumers of their photos/video are unlikely to discern the work taken by going the extra mile.

As a side note, many of the 4K TVs produced over the last 3-4 years also do a decent job of "uprezzing" HD video to 4K video. Technically it's not a huge leap to do that. While not a substitute for true 4K content it will fool/suffice for a lot of people.

True 4K content viewed on a 4k or 5K computer monitor is noticeably better. For best results most are at least 27" monitors. The computers require sufficiently fast CPUs, RAM, GPUs and disk space.

Going above the casual....

The other part of excellent video requires calibration of the monitor for accurate color. Popular calibration tools include those from X-Rite and Spyder. Most serious photographers and videographers calibrate their monitors and control the lighting and surroundings where they do critical color editing.

Few if any consumers even know that their 4K TVs are likely not showing accurate color.

I realize that the latter portion of this post is way beyond what most require as clients and consumers of their photos/video are unlikely to discern the work taken by going the extra mile.
Put two 4K TVs together showing the same image and you are just as likely as not to see a marked difference in the image. I've seen this in electrical goods stores where they have TVs on display showing the same thing.

Put two 4K TVs together showing the same image and you are just as likely as not to see a marked difference in the image. I've seen this in electrical goods stores where they have TVs on display showing the same thing.

Typically manufacturers set their TVs to high brightness levels and a lot of color saturation in the manufacturing phase. They believe this improves sales in stores.

I’ve not heard of any consumer 4K TVs that are accurately calibrated from the factory.

Some higher shops offer a service to calibrate your 4K TV but it will cost around $200-400.

If you’ve got good color vision I can share some JPGs consumers can use to get pleasing results as long as you aren’t going for the comic book look. You will be required to dive into the TV menus to make the adjustments and it’s best performed in conditions similar to your typical viewing lighting.

If anyone wants to see a side by side comparison of 4k against 1080 I can’t think of a better way than to visit a big box store where they have the same programs being played on all the display TV’s.

Anyone that records 4k video should have a playback device that supports 4k. The reasoning behind shooting 4k but not having the ability to make use of it during playback escapes me. If you can’t view the resolution improvements in the imagery what’s the point in recording it that way?

Camera makers are already starting to release 6k cameras and cinema cameras have been shooting in 8k for years to provide us the best movie quality they can. To enjoy that quality means our TV’s, monitors, and laptops have to match or exceed the resolution of the imagery sent to them. Not having playback capability equal to the delivered imagery is similar to wearing a pair of old corrective glasses that don’t quite allow our eyes to focus, leaving us with slightly blurred vision.

I only have a 1080p monitor on a PC that can edit 1080p content OK.
The one time I may record in 4K is if I later intend to crop or zoom in editing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval