Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

US drone registration to return

A $5 registration is hardly a barrier to an RC hobbyist. Neither is it a significant amount of $ to the government.
If it was about the money, the registration would cost at least $50.00.

Just because someone belongs to the AMA does not mean that they are decent folk. I went to a RC flying field just to check it out. I didn't even own an RC aircraft. They had the runway on one side of the roofed space over work benches for strictly fixed wing air craft and on the other side was a large paved parking lot for the helicopters.
Standing there watching a guy flying a helicopter he came within ten feet of me doing an inverted hover. I backed off and he got even closer. I felt like I was in danger from this idiot. I got under the roof and waited for him to finish his flight. When he got to his bench I went over to talk to him. I told him he was in too close of proximity of an observer and I could file charges against him. With that he stood up quickly and started towards me in a hostile manner. At that time I pulled my coat back to expose my service weapon. One of the club members had been watching and stepped in to hold the guy back, then told him to pack up and leave. He was a hot head and got into fights with other members. He packed up and left quickly after he saw my weapon.
They asked if I would like to join their club and I said, "Not as long as the Hot Head is a member."
They did apologize profusely and requested that I do not file charges against him or the club.
I do realize that there are bad "Actors" in every segment of society including law enforcement. But his action deliberately put me in danger. That club I will not join, maybe another one, somewhere else.

These types of laws are never about the money. They're about controlling the unwashed masses.
Then it won't apply to me because I shower twice a day.

Reactions: Warlocc
The registration law is more about identifying who has them. Sure, they can back track a lost drone through registration but finding a lost drone is not the same as catching a person doing something wrong. Without "eyes on" proof they can't prosecute for much of anything other than leaving a drone where one should not be. As the new year unfolds we'll be seeing a lot of new equipment certification standards rolled out that small drone manufacturers will not be able to incorporate because of the "pass along" costs involved. Those requirements will increase the cost of a new consumer drone many times over what they are now. Once they implement equipment certification rules no aircraft will be able to fly that does not meet the certification requirements. If they toss in a law that no drone may be flown or possessed that fails certification requirements they'll be able to drive to your house and pick up any drone that fails the requirements. Since big aerospace has super large staffing levels and deep pockets, guess who'll be doing all the drone work. BTW, they are the same people that are writing the new laws for the Congress and FAA to incorporate. Note the reinstatement of the registration law did not flow through an FAA process, which would require an NPRM to initiate. It was inserted in a defense spending bill and legislated into the CFR's as a national security concern by Congress with Presidential approval, completely bypassing the FAA. We will be seeing a lot more drone laws done this way.

Reactions: Warlocc
If they toss in a law that no drone may be flown or possessed that fails certification requirements they'll be able to drive to your house and pick up any drone that fails the requirements. Since big aerospace has super large staffing levels and deep pockets, guess who'll be doing all the drone work. BTW, they are the same people that are writing the new laws for the Congress and FAA to incorporate.

There it is.
As the gun owners like to point out, registration leads to confiscation. Almost every time.

RC Groups - View Single Post - Federal Appeals Court: The FAA's Registration Rule Violates Section 336
The most interesting aspect regarding the timing of the effective date is that they made no attempt to make the legislation retroactive - probably because that would make it an unconstitutional ex post facto law.

As such, registration was unlawful until the act was effective.

I have serious doubts that the law was effective even then. Congress has the power to legislate, but it has no power to simply overrule the court by "restoring" the regulation.

We have separation of powers in the is country. Only the judiciary can review regulations to determine if they are lawful. Simply "restoring" a regulation that a federal court found to be unlawful is not a legislative power. Supreme Court cases addressing that issue go back a couple of centuries now.

Poorly played on the part of whoever drafted that legislation as a remedy.​

Uh yep.

Do you have a Crystal Ball?

Perhaps. Being employed for 12 years by one of those part of the ARC committee and the DAC, being part of developing systems and hardware used to train the FAA in drone operations, one of the two primary companies the FAA allowed to conduct commercial ops in U.S. airspace since 2013, and listening to team meetings where what was to come was discussed, while closely following the political side of the regulatory processes in play, including being a listed “interested party” in the latest FAA regulatory gambit, think I have a pretty good feel for what’s happening. It’s not good. Making things worse is both the AMA and DJI are totally supportive of expanding regulations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech