Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Using follow me mode hiking.

Reaction score
Has anyone used the follow me mode on the H+ while hiking in a populated area? I am not sure how well that would turn out. I for one would love to use it on some of the beautiful trails around my area but question weather I should do so concerning other people on the trail.
When I buy an H+, if I ever get the courage to do so, I would like to make it follow me through the mangrove trees while kayaking :p.

Beyond the potential for person/aircraft interactions.... there are several members here that can provide 1st hand experience regarding specific aircraft/tree interactions... bottom line, the tree always ends up faring better. You can do a search on this board regarding a member who was very upset that his H had the gall to increase altitude with RS engaged, when encountering an obstruction (forested area)... right into the canopy above him.

Ya that was my concern.
Beyond the potential for person/aircraft interactions.... there are several members here that can provide 1st hand experience regarding specific aircraft/tree interactions... bottom line, the tree always ends up faring better. You can do a search on this board regarding a member who was very upset that his H had the gall to increase altitude with RS engaged, when encountering an obstruction (forested area)... right into the canopy above him.
Thanks, I just read it.
Btw has Yuneec improved RS from the H. No sensors on top seem like a dumb idea to me if one of the first reactions is to gain altitude to avoid an obstacle with the RS.

Sensors pointing upward would help that, but I'd say the point brought out in that thread, is that as operators, we need to remain smarter than the AC... including knowing where the sensors are and where the blind spots are. Ideally, there would be sensors in all directions... in those circumstances the aircraft could in fact, choose the most logical first direction... go back the way you came and re-evaluate directional changes.

Reactions: DCH
I've done a lot of bike riding with my standard H in 'Follow Me' mode and I can tell you it works well on subjects whose movement is constant in both velocity and direction. On a few occasions I have ridden under tree canopies where I was obscured for only a second or two and when the H cannot get the GPS fix on the ST-16 it will do a slight pause. Keep in mind I placed the aircraft at an altitude that I knew was above any of the trees I was going to pass under. Whether or not this will work in your situation? You may need to just give it a shot and see if the results will work for you. My guess is you may get some really usable footage and then some that is, not so much.

I gotta add...

Playing around with Watch Me on the H is pretty wild. It gets as much utility out of those front RS sensors as possible while still keeping pretty decent framing. Seeing the aircraft spin and adjust where the sensors are pointing to compensate for direction of travel while keeping the camera steady and subject in frame is something only a 360 gimbal and retractable gear can allow. Pretty amazing piece of work.

Kind of pisses me off seeing reviews that knock the lack of rear facing sensors. If you know how to use the H or H+ you figure out real quick that it doesn't need them for Watch Me mode or OB/Smart mode, which is generally the only time they really matter.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval