Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Using lights on Typhoon H

Hey Smart Mode critics.
I've found Smart Mode handy when I want to get back to where I want to land as expeditiously as possible. I only have the Yuneec battery charger and don't want to discharge the batteries too much. I suspect that leaving the batteries in this state is not much worse than the "ideal".
Regarding the criticism: Is this from personal experience or what you've seen written? If personal could you share the experience or point to the written source if it's available? I'm still learning about this stuff and really don't have a handle on evaluating what I see posted.
It was all too automated for me. I like to be in charge of it as much as I can, the info is all there, battery voltage you get use to its traits, but be prepared to land in an emergency, better walking to pick it up, than picking up the pieces, As AH-1G said we are all learning but started at different times, I'm further down the road than the experts, but use what's working for you, I didnt buy your copter at the end of the day, just think of the forum as a friend giving you advice.

It seems that I came across as a wise guy in my last post. That was not my intention at all. It's just that there were two posts that disparaged the use of smart mode and I wanted to reply to both. Seriously, what are the objections to using it? I just flew a bit and the biggest objection I have is the time it takes to face the new direction before moving with RealSense on. Kind of a better slow and safe than fast and sorry.

Smart Mode has caused many people to crash their drone, this is why I encourage folks until they know the characteristics of using Smart Mode not to.
Some folks catch on quickly while others don't.

Its when it tries to keep a distance from the controller, that has caused problems. I've read those posts often.

I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's input! It is good to see different views from everyone. I feel like I can make a good decision when it comes to lights, (might be fun to try, but need to learn the basics because you need to ready for anything. Taking off from a box. (Dont do it). I check this feed a few times a day to learn as much as I can. So much better than facebook!

Reactions: John Hennessy
It seems that I came across as a wise guy in my last post. That was not my intention at all. It's just that there were two posts that disparaged the use of smart mode and I wanted to reply to both. Seriously, what are the objections to using it? I just flew a bit and the biggest objection I have is the time it takes to face the new direction before moving with RealSense on. Kind of a better slow and safe than fast and sorry.
Nothing really wrong with Smart Mode so long as you know the TH possible behavior if taking off from within the smart (safety) circle. All too often novice pilots (and some not so novice) come to grief when taking off from within this circle of death in smart mode. Best to remain in Angle mode when taking off and landing, only switching to 'smart' (if you must) when you are further away. BTW, I've never used smart mode.

1. I have a Typhoon H, and have been in the air half a dozen times or so. I always keep the drone within line of sight but some times I lose track of which way it is facing. It is easy to get disoriented which direction it is facing the farther, or higher I am from the drone. Would putting LED lights on it help with this even during the day.

2. My second question is, I was thinking about getting this case for my drone.

Would it be ok if I sat the drone on top of the case to take off and land to keep it off of the ground? (Thinking at the beach or if the ground is wet.) Thanks for suggestions and input.

Yes it's a nice case. But if you want to carry more equipment for the TH the backpack is better you can carry more stuff.

Ray

I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's input! It is good to see different views from everyone. I feel like I can make a good decision when it comes to lights, (might be fun to try, but need to learn the basics because you need to ready for anything. Taking off from a box. (Dont do it). I check this feed a few times a day to learn as much as I can. So much better than facebook!
Sorry about things going off on a Smart mode tangent. I want to mention a couple of things I've found helpful: When starting make sure that all switches are up, except have the right (Mode) switch in the middle (Angle). No need to think about what each switch does. And most importantly, the Golden Rule of Typhoon H aviation: unless you're sure of where the drone is and what it's doing, release all of the controls until you figure things out. If I could just remember to follow this rule I'd be a lot better pilot.

• Haha
Reactions: AussieCate
Smart Mode has caused many people to crash their drone, this is why I encourage folks until they know the characteristics of using Smart Mode not to.
Smart Mode scares me. I had it accidently in SM over A and had a tricky time landing it thinking I'd somehow changed the sticks setting. Only to finally getit on the ground, turn everything off then realise it was in SM. Only nwebie but I stay in A.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33