Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

venom battery for h plus and h520 coming online

That only means one thing, that they have opted for a battery with more capacity but less C, or discharge capacity.

Not necessarily. Not all cells with the same C rating and capacity weigh the same.

For example:
ZIPPY Compact 5000mAh 5S 25C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 5000mAh 5S 25C Lipo Pack w/XT-90

Both are 5S 25C packs. One weighs 677 grams the other weighs 565 grams. 92 grams difference for the same capacity and C rating.

So it is entirely possible they are using cells with similar specs that simple weigh less.

14 grams is a ridiculous difference to have a 40% nominal more capacity. Somewhere weight has been saved and in my opinion is in the discharge capacity.

Perhaps, but these aircraft (Typhoon/H520) have a fairly low current draw, so even a lower C rating, if that is in fact the case, would not mean that there would be a loss of performance.

For example, In my RC pattern planes we use mostly 20C - 25C cells. They are more than capable of delivering the required performance. Higher C rating cells do not really give any benefit due to the type of use. So higher C rating is not always something that is needed or even desirable.

Reactions: BigAl07
Not to contradict, do you think that everyone who has tried, for example those two types of batteries you comment, if they had the same performance, would not buy the least heavy? Something is wrong. I would of course buy the lightest, but if I have to choose between Zippy and Turnigy I would certainly stay with Turnigy despite being heavier. You have in RCGroups multitude of testimonies of Zippy battery failures (of course all fail and more as time goes by with use).

Continuing with the same example, batteries for Typhoon H or H520 that we have already commented in the forum more times, inflated in mid-flight and then disarm the H520 to remove them. The technology of LIPO batteries has long since barely evolved. Do you think that Yuneec would not have put batteries with more capacity and would have differentiated itself from the competition? Why did they choose LI-HV batteries? Among the possible options the most reliable with maximum capacity perhaps?

No manufacturer would make their batteries unnecessarily heavy. As I have commented I presuppose that it has been lowered of C. But if it is lowered of quality I would not touch them, we risk our drone.

With fixed wings is another story because the requirements are much lower and then the Li-ion batteries are undoubtedly the best choice. They don't even need the amount of energy in a given moment that a multirotor. Therefore at the same weight they store much more energy, unfortunately they are not suitable for most multirotors unless they have very few KV motors.

As always, my personal opinion, but when they sell things too pretty to be true..........., I try to find the reason for it. It smells like a trap to me. that they work well? That the user reviews, which are the only really independent ones, give the go-ahead? I'm the first one to be happy :D

Not to contradict, do you think that everyone who has tried, for example those two types of batteries you comment, if they had the same performance, would not buy the least heavy? Something is wrong. I would of course buy the lightest, but if I have to choose between Zippy and Turnigy I would certainly stay with Turnigy despite being heavier. You have in RCGroups multitude of testimonies of Zippy battery failures (of course all fail and more as time goes by with use).

First, I was not using the Zippy as a preferred example, just one that I grabbed quickly, so the rest is not important. The bottom line remains that cells with the same voltage, capacity, and C rating can have fi==different weights. Inferring that the Venom packs must be inferior, or lower C rating or anything else based solely on the reported weight is not sound reasoning. What remains to be seen is if the reported weight is accurate, because they are often not accurate.

None of that changes the fact that Venom generally makes decent packs and these will be worth getting 1 or 2 to evaluate.

Why did they choose LI-HV batteries?

LiHV cells have become popular because they offer more power for the same C rating due to a higher starting voltage. I use them in my F5J planes and they simply perform better than normal lipos for the same C rating. They also cost more in general.

As you say, much of this is my personal opinion, but it is an opinion informed by over a decade of Lipo use in airplanes, boats, helicopters, and drones. Some of those in very high performance applications. Lipo quality is very inconsistent. As is the manufacturing process, so assuming that the Venom cells must be one thing or another with no other information other than the weight is a premature judgment. As is always the case, the proof is in the pudding. So I plan to grab a couple, see what they weight and assess how they perform. Only then can an actual determination of their performance and value be supported.

First, I was not using the Zippy as a preferred example, just one that I grabbed quickly, so the rest is not important.

I understood you, mate, but just those two types of batteries were making the argument I wanted to make. Although the numbers on the paper are the same, the quality varies quite a bit from one to the other when the weight tells us that it is better to take the lightest one. That's where I wanted to go.

LiHV cells have become popular because they offer more power for the same C rating due to a higher starting voltage. I use them in my F5J planes and they simply perform better than normal lipos for the same C rating.

No doubt, but I was referring to the difference in weight for the same energy capacity, or in other words, with the same weight a LIPO and a Li-ion, a Li-ion is able to store more energy. On the other hand, it is not able to deliver more energy at any given time, have less C discharge. This in an airplane that has much less needs than a multirotor is very good, but for a multirotor, unless very specific cases, is not a viable option. I wish it could be an option because we would get higher flight times with the same weight. And here we are talking about the H520 which is a multirotor. The fixed wing is another world, which has a lot in common with the multirotors, but this is not the case.

is a premature judgment

All we're talking about are conjectures, my intention was to draw attention to those users who have less experience than you may have, or me (which I'm sure is less) and not just look at the total capacity of the battery, there are many more factors to take into account. Not only with this battery I doubt the data given by the manufacturer, with the new H520 RTK I also doubt them until I see contrasted reviews. The same thing happens to me that with these batteries, the numbers are too good and this based on the most used or purchased in the market with a quality contrasted. Time will tell, or you may confirm it for us ;)

So I plan to grab a couple, see what they weight and assess how they perform. Only then can an actual determination of their performance and value be supported.

And here we will all be delighted that you share your impressions of these batteries, me first :D

P.D.: It's nothing personal, mate. We can even agree to disagree :p

As I always say, I hope that my kindergarten English will allow you to understand what I mean, because I know it's not always like that, sorry.

Will this battery work with the H? I don't see any reason it shouldn't...As you can see from the images, I could not get this battery to charge and when I put it in my H, the voltage read out on the ST16 dropped to 14.0 volts in about 2 or 3 minutes, with NO load...Bird just sitting there.

As an IMPORTANT side NOTE...Vertigo Drones is OUTSTANDING in the Customer Service Department! Big Time KUDOS!

Attachments

• Resulting Error.jpg
    Resulting Error.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Venom Settings.jpg
    Venom Settings.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
When you say H, do you mean H PLUS? or H480?

I ask because it's not the first time that sameone report strange things with the original batteries exchanging aircraft batteries. In principle it should work without any problem. Do you only have one? or do you have more than one?

A test to rule out that it is something strange with the drone is to connect it to another drone or something that consumes energy and you see the evolution of the load, if it drops quickly, and so discard that it may be that particular battery, is in bad condition.

Will this battery work with the H? I don't see any reason it shouldn't...As you can see from the images, I could not get this battery to charge and when I put it in my H, the voltage read out on the ST16 dropped to 14.0 volts in about 2 or 3 minutes, with NO load...Bird just sitting there.

As an IMPORTANT side NOTE...Vertigo Drones is OUTSTANDING in the Customer Service Department! Big Time KUDOS!

To what voltage did you try to charge the pack to? I am seeing LiPo setting on the charger and the H520/TH+ batteries are LiHV. To reach full charge they need to be at 4.35V per cell or a total of 17.4V for the 4S1P pack.

You will also notice a difference in the balance charging connections between batteries for the H480’s and the TH+/H520.

well after getting 2 h520 batteries made by venom and flew them initial results were 26 min closing in on the 27min for the first venom battery the second venom was right on track for the same time but had h520 malfunction were motor 2 stalled in flight at 100 to 128 agl thus had to land the craft. did so without additional damage to the craft. had to change out the motor by replacing that arm with a spare arm I had in hand. flew 17 flights no issues until the 18th flight for total distance combine of between 50 miles to 60 miles worth. doing over 35000 feet in distance travel average per battery. batteries flown were 12 h480 types 4 yuneec oem h520 and 2 venom h520. if the venoms hold out and not fail looks like i be replacing all my h480 batteries with venom h520.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Impressive, what do you think caused 2 motor failure?
and you still were able / manage flying the wounded 520 with 4 motors?

Last edited:
To what voltage did you try to charge the pack to? I am seeing LiPo setting on the charger and the H520/TH+ batteries are LiHV. To reach full charge they need to be at 4.35V per cell or a total of 17.4V for the 4S1P pack.

You will also notice a difference in the balance charging connections between batteries for the H480’s and the TH+/H520.

These batteries he talks about, as you can see in the image he has put, are LiPo and not LiHv, so he is charging them correctly to their amperage and voltage since they are 4S. The only difference is that the LiHv are able to reach 4.35V per cell, but the drone works exactly the same if it has a battery with 4.2V but much more power (in this case 7000mAh).

The difference of the connectors is only when you charge them, then to use them the same 2 main connectors are used.

Don't worry about that Texas_willie that's no problem at all, I use from time to time some 8000mAh. What if they have to be able, is to give a minimum power but if they are valid for the H520 are valid for any of the H.

It is something very strange :oops:

no just lost one motor location was on arm2 which is arm a it went five motor failure mode hard to control latterly had to nudge over to a grass area. did not want to land on a active farm field.

Reactions: AH-1G
These batteries he talks about, as you can see in the image he has put, are LiPo and not LiHv, so he is charging them correctly to their amperage and voltage since they are 4S. The only difference is that the LiHv are able to reach 4.35V per cell, but the drone works exactly the same if it has a battery with 4.2V but much more power (in this case 7000mAh).

Here is an enlargement of the second photo in @Texas_Willie post where I zoomed in, took a screenshot, then rotated it to upright.

CFD2EFF9-CC39-4169-ACAC-E7E448AF2BA6.jpeg

As you can see, it is a LiHV and is not being placed at a full charge using a LiPo setting on the charger unless it allows setting the charge limit at 4.35 V per cell. Of course the H480 may not be able to handle the higher voltage from the LiHV battery at full charge.

You are absolutely correct about the connection to the aircraft and the charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: arruntus
My mother, I'm going to have to clean my eyes more often, I swear I've seen 14.8V ? Sorry mate (I have a bad streak, it will be tiredness)

Although the charger is not ready for LiHV, in fact some chargers allow you to modify the output to 4.35V, although they are a minority.

It is as easy as looking at the total voltage of the battery when it has finished charging, after leaving it stabilizing for 10 minutes, check that it has the load that it has to have.

No problem here @arruntus, I actually have a query in with Yuneec on whether the H480’s can use the 4S1P LiHV packs at the full 17.4V.

No problem here @arruntus, I actually have a query in with Yuneec on whether the H480’s can use the 4S1P LiHV packs at the full 17.4V.

I think i is already tested, every electronic component has a margin of maneuver in question to the voltage it accepts. Yuneec is going to say no, buy batteries for one and for the other. I can't find who tried it, here in the forum there are videos of it, from the beginning when it came out, or on youtube if you search a little you'll find it.

Just a word on the venom batteries.. They work way longer than regular batteries but: a big problem is that the casing around the battery expands creating a block when inside the aircraft.. I had to take my H+ apart to remove the battery... Turns out all I had to do is squeeze/insert a very flat knife blade from the back to flatten the plastic bulge.. Not too sure yet how to eliminate the bulge.. Thinking about cutting it and reglue! Not sure how to put pictures here

where on the casing is the deformation located at. and was the battery very hot to the touch when you tried to remove it from the back. also what was the temperature outside at when you had this happen.

I think i is already tested, every electronic component has a margin of maneuver in question to the voltage it accepts. Yuneec is going to say no, buy batteries for one and for the other. I can't find who tried it, here in the forum there are videos of it, from the beginning when it came out, or on youtube if you search a little you'll find it.

The H480 can use the LiHV 4S1P battery packs for the H Plus and H520 at their full charge voltage of 17.4V.

If course you need the different adapter for balance charging as it uses the mini Deans connectors at the balance leads.

where on the casing is the deformation located at. and was the battery very hot to the touch when you tried to remove it from the back. also what was the temperature outside at when you had this happen.
Deformation was at the top where it first goes in..it created a dome so that the dome part was getting stuck when pulling it out.
I was using the drone in the Philippines and had no problems..The battery was not unusually hot when I pulled it out to charge it and it slipped back in easily. It is when I arrived back in Canada that I could not remove it...the other two batteries do not show any damage.

are you indicating that you had the battery in the drone while traveling from Philippines back to Canada? Not sure about what others would do. However I will only insert the battery in my uav when I am at the location where I am flying at. After done with all my flights. I then remove the flight battery from my h520 and place the battery in a separate dedicated case for just batteries. I never travel with the battery inside the h520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie