Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Very Twitchy In Flight

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before, I guess it probably has, but did anyone find a cure for their terrible twitchiness in flight ?? I fly in angle mode but even with hardly any touch on the sticks at all the aircraft will twitch upwards badly and its driving me nuts !!!!!

This thing would be a joy to fly if it would stop lurching every few seconds or whenever you touch a stick. I have not played with the expos incase I need to return it to get it sorted. I am on my second ST16 as the first one had sticky slider travel and rubbish stick travels even after calibrating them all, so this ST16 works fine so far, but again I have not done any resets or anything incase I need to return it to Yuneec, which looks very likely at the moment.

All latest firmware and IMU and compass calibrations done.

Anyone solve this or find out from Yuneec what is the cause ???

The latest Autopilot firmware improves low level handling. Also, close to the ground or when maneuvering in tight spaces, use Turtle speed to reduce jerky action.

Apologies if this has been covered before, I guess it probably has, but did anyone find a cure for their terrible twitchiness in flight ?? I fly in angle mode but even with hardly any touch on the sticks at all the aircraft will twitch upwards badly and its driving me nuts !!!!!

This thing would be a joy to fly if it would stop lurching every few seconds or whenever you touch a stick. I have not played with the expos incase I need to return it to get it sorted. I am on my second ST16 as the first one had sticky slider travel and rubbish stick travels even after calibrating them all, so this ST16 works fine so far, but again I have not done any resets or anything incase I need to return it to Yuneec, which looks very likely at the moment.

All latest firmware and IMU and compass calibrations done.

Anyone solve this or find out from Yuneec what is the cause ???

Air Pauly,

Regarding your repeated statements indicating you might have to return this ST16, so you don't want to adjust any settings? Why not try? If nothing else, you should be able to return everything to factory defaults if you have to.

If you have not already read and tried the Broken Line Rate adjustments, per Ty Pilot's thread, I join the rest by saying "give it a go!". Certainly can't hurt, and possibly might relieve some of your angst about the flight behavior of your aircraft.

If you could elaborate a little bit, with specifics, as to what you mean by "twitchiness". Please break it down by horizontal versus altitude changes.

Ty Pilot has given us a good start on smoothing out horizontal starts and stops. I have not heard of vertical jerkiness. I do notice with my own crafts, they may move up and down a bit (a foot or two at a time, maybe) if I am simply letting them hover. However, I expect this due to winds, gusts, terrain if they are low. I don't expect pin point positioning.

Not trying to imply anything, just trying to get more insight into exactly what characteristics you are observing.

Thanks!

Jeff

Air Pauly,

Regarding your repeated statements indicating you might have to return this ST16, so you don't want to adjust any settings? Why not try? If nothing else, you should be able to return everything to factory defaults if you have to.

If you have not already read and tried the Broken Line Rate adjustments, per Ty Pilot's thread, I join the rest by saying "give it a go!". Certainly can't hurt, and possibly might relieve some of your angst about the flight behavior of your aircraft.

If you could elaborate a little bit, with specifics, as to what you mean by "twitchiness". Please break it down by horizontal versus altitude changes.

Ty Pilot has given us a good start on smoothing out horizontal starts and stops. I have not heard of vertical jerkiness. I do notice with my own crafts, they may move up and down a bit (a foot or two at a time, maybe) if I am simply letting them hover. However, I expect this due to winds, gusts, terrain if they are low. I don't expect pin point positioning.

Not trying to imply anything, just trying to get more insight into exactly what characteristics you are observing.

Thanks!

Jeff

OK guys off to try the settings in Pats video - back later lol

Sorry Jeff I should have mentioned i had heard this attempted before and it caused a warranty issue with someone but no idea if that was true so I didnt want to send it back after having "fiddled" with the settings so they could not wag the Yuneec finger at me saying "TUT TUT".

Anyway gonna try it out now and see how she flies.

Will be waiting to read the results of your efforts!

hmmm still twitching, put the slider down between rabbit & turtle and its not as twitchy but it is still work in progress argggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!.....bloody thing would be lovely to fly if I could iron out this **** jerkiness.....will have to play some more

This has been discussed in many threads. The only way to eliminate this completely is to not use the GPS. You will then find the response silky smooth. Of course, non-GPS mode introduces other problems.

Changing the response curves can help somewhat, but you still get a little lurch at the start of movement.

Using the "cruise control" solved the problem for me, as I can now achieve very slow movements, perfectly smooth. It is still a limited solution.

hmmm still twitching, put the slider down between rabbit & turtle and its not as twitchy but it is still work in progress argggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!.....bloody thing would be lovely to fly if I could iron out this **** jerkiness.....will have to play some more

Care to share the values you are using to set Broken Line Rates for Aileron and Elevator?

My values differ from what Ty Pilot shows in his video. I just tried something different to see something different.

Note: These need to be the same for both the Aileron and the Elevator rates in order to achieve uniformity.

My values are:
  1. -100%
  2. -42%
  3. -25%
  4. -12%
  5. 0%
  6. 12%
  7. 25%
  8. 42%
  9. 100%
Of course, everyone's caffeine level is different; adjust to taste!

Jeff

AilElevRates.jpg

Care to share the values you are using to set Broken Line Rates for Aileron and Elevator?

My values differ from what Ty Pilot shows in his video. I just tried something different to see something different.

Note: These need to be the same for both the Aileron and the Elevator rates in order to achieve uniformity.

My values are:
  1. -100%
  2. -42%
  3. -25%
  4. -12%
  5. 0%
  6. 12%
  7. 25%
  8. 42%
  9. 100%
Of course, everyone's caffeine level is different; adjust to taste!

Jeff

View attachment 5871

Yep basically the same as Pat suggested :

100, 50, 30, 15, 0 etc

I always fly in Angle mode, I hate smart mode and im convinced there is a solution to slow the response to the throttle so it doesnt "kick" as soon as you brush the stick !!

Pauly, when you mention slowing the throttle are you referring to the right stick? Or is your left stick causing a jerk when you apply power for instance to rise? I tried to add some delay to the right stick and found it just delayed the hit. Seems no matter what, the craft wants to see (about) 5% of output on either the aileron or elevator channel before moving. I am convinced it could be easily fixed within a firmware update, hopefully Yuneec is watching.

Pat

Pauly, when you mention slowing the throttle are you referring to the right stick? Or is your left stick causing a jerk when you apply power for instance to rise? I tried to add some delay to the right stick and found it just delayed the hit. Seems no matter what, the craft wants to see (about) 5% of output on either the aileron or elevator channel before moving. I am convinced it could be easily fixed within a firmware update, hopefully Yuneec is watching.

Pat

No my problem is very much both sticks are VERY sensitive, mainly yaw on left stick, and throttle on right stick, you just touch the sticks and the thing jerks like its had an electric shock !!! I fly the S1000+ with A3 pro and it is smooth as butter although the 2 are sort of similar in flight characteristics which is why I try to be ever so delicate on stick inputs, and it shouldn't be this sensitive and yes Yuneec need to sort this one out or mine is going back !

Yeah, it sounds like you may be having issues greater than normal. I know on my H, the yaw and throttle are very smooth, with the exception of take. . .I mean blast off. Anyone around you with an H to get together and compare side by side? Hope you get it worked out.

No my problem is very much both sticks are VERY sensitive, mainly yaw on left stick, and throttle on right stick, you just touch the sticks and the thing jerks like its had an electric shock !!! I fly the S1000+ with A3 pro and it is smooth as butter although the 2 are sort of similar in flight characteristics which is why I try to be ever so delicate on stick inputs, and it shouldn't be this sensitive and yes Yuneec need to sort this one out or mine is going back !
Fly with GPS off. If it doesn't smooth out, I'd almost wager you could have an ESC issue.

Fly with GPS off. If it doesn't smooth out, I'd almost wager you could have an ESC issue.

flies lovely with GPS off, no twitchiness at all so not an esc issue, looks like may be something gps related now

I had the same issue the other day, it was fine mid flight but any transition from hover, even in turtle mode the H would over react, making gentle movements an unnerving experience.

The following day I did a compass calibration, after which it flew just fine.

Reactions: Rayray
I had the same issue the other day, it was fine mid flight but any transition from hover, even in turtle mode the H would over react, making gentle movements an unnerving experience.

The following day I did a compass calibration, after which it flew just fine.

its bloody frustrating, flies great with gps off smooth as a smooth thing wearing a smooth suit, but gps on and twitch twitch twitch.....will try another calibration

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33