Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video from the C23 and H Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am gonna keep my Standard H for a while as a backup, plus (No Pun Intended);) it would be sad to see that she's not worth 25% of what I paid for it. Yet another interesting paper weight for the collection.

That's about right... original investment in various Typhoon and ancillary equipment... maybe $3700... everything I sold off in the last month... recovered about $900.00.

Yeah, but that will change... between the issues with the one camera and the far superior output of the Plus, it was evident I was not going to be satisfied with even the repaired CGO3+. So there became little point in continuing to fly the H... and risk having something happen to it before I could recover anything.

I am no prognosticator, but I think the estimates of timeframe that I posted when the Plus was announced, will be pretty close. Surely, this current FW issue will be completely resolved in a month. Supply backorders on basic initial items like ND filters, will be resolved by then too. Finally by that time, I would hope more distribution points of both models will start usual competitive price sales. First vendor that offers the H Plus for $1499... I'll pull the trigger... D U N

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
I am gonna keep my Standard H for a while as a backup, plus (No Pun Intended);) it would be sad to see that she's not worth 25% of what I paid for it. Yet another interesting paper weight for the collection.

Paperweight, Pat?

What about taking off the camera and just flying for the sake of flying? Keeping the “current” income producing gear ready to go when needed, but... to fill that need for speed...

[emoji41]

Jeff

P.S. don’t forget about nostalgia!

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Kansas railroad crossing with some nice straight lines for geometry students - and more shimmering anti-aliased gravel than I could ever want to see.

Reactions: rdonson
Someone here just shared this. It's mine. Please let me know (besides editing choices, which are subjective) what needs adjusting in my video settings in regard to the gravel issue. Thanks. I wanted the title to appear over the video background, not the black, but otherwise I was pleased.

Hi Merhlin, if you have been watching this thread you will know that you aren't alone in the shimmering gravel stakes. There is something about the size/detail in gravel that causes anti-aliasing artifacts in a number of the videos posted. Since I don't have a drone to test, I can only surmise what the cause might be and how it might be fixed.

1. Drone speed
The faster the camera is travelling the more likely you are to see artifacts. When the frames change so rapidly over a short time, it's a big ask of any camera and any recording mechanism to capture details faithfully. So, for best quality video, fly slowly.

2. Fast pans
For the same reason, a camera which is panning rapidly will struggle to capture all the detail. So pan slowly.

3. Camera settings
Any Auto camera settings, such as Auto White Balance, add a further layer of complexity as the filming conditions change. So, if possible, use manual/static settings and, if necessary, make adjustments to the video in post.

4. Subject matter
Obviously there is more detail in gravel than there is a flat, solid surface. If, after adjusting for it, it still causes artifacts, don't film it.

5. Capture + Frame rate
Data will be dropped if the bitrate and capture card can't cope with it. So make sure you are using the fastest, reliable memory card you can buy; and you will tend to drop more data when filming at the camera's maximum potential capability, ie at 4k and/or at 60fps. So, if you don't need 4k or 60fps, don't film in them.

6. Compression
There has been a lot of discussion here about the damage done to video by different codecs and compression rates. Your video is compressed in the camera to H.264 and you may, after editing, compress it again to save or export it. Then, when you upload it to YouTube it gets compressed for a third time. Data and detail are dropped each time. So, do your research (including in this thread) on video compression and how best to upload to YouTube…and consider less aggressive alternatives to YouTube such as Vimeo.

The above is based on my observations. I am not an expert and nor am I an experienced videographer. I am envious of your drone; and your video.

PS. And as Ron implies, don't over-sharpen detailed subjects in post. Sharpening doesn't have to be applied at the same level across the whole frame.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Ethereal marshland at 1080p/60.

That's mine. Just uploaded, have not even looked to see what it was like on YouTube yet. Thanks!

It is a 4K video, you picked it a bit early while YouTube processing.

Since you posted it, a bit about the location.

The last shot shows the buildings that Dreamworks used to be in; Google has effectively been purchasing all the offices and is slowly taking over ownership but not moving in. Our startup used to be here.

As the pan-around is occurring in the last shot, there is a bridge a couple miles out sitting low. Just over the bridge on the left is Facebook, $500 billion valuation. Down the road about 5 miles past the bridge is the main Google sprawl, $860 billion valuation. 7 miles further down is Cupertino and Apple, $1 trillion valuation. Microsoft has a small campus but is present in between Google and Apple, $900 billion valuation.

Then there is this quite spot on a Sunday morning without a soul around.

The video was my third battery. First one around the house to make sure the H Plus flies, then two at that location.

Footage was automatic exposure with -1 ev, due to flying into the rising sun and panning back. I have a hard time with manually exposure in those cases. Shot as Original, with my first processing attempts in Davinci Resolve with the C23 format.

Last edited:
Sorry to pip you to the post, Windluv. Nice video and I'm wondering where it was filmed as it seems almost unworldly at times, eg the end.

Sorry to pip you to the post, Windluv. Nice video and I'm wondering where it was filmed as it seems almost unworldly at times, eg the end.
This is known as the lower South Bay south of San Francisco, CA. Location is in Redwood City in between San Jose and San Francisco. Most people never see it.

Reactions: YuKay
Someone here just shared this. It's mine. Please let me know (besides editing choices, which are subjective) what needs adjusting in my video settings in regard to the gravel issue. Thanks. I wanted the title to appear over the video background, not the black, but otherwise I was pleased.

Is this from a C23/H Plus? It almost looks like CG03+ Footage, not that thats bad or anything but I'm just asking. In PD, if you're using their title designer, put the title on a track below the video footage track; beginning at the point where you want it over laid, it seems you put it before the footage on the same track.

Is this from a C23/H Plus? It almost looks like CG03+ Footage, not that thats bad or anything but I'm just asking. In PD, if you're using their title designer, put the title on a track below the video footage track; beginning at the point where you want it over laid, it seems you put it before the footage on the same track.

Yes, H Plus - C23. Thanks for the advice on PD, that's no doubt the issue. Good to know. I'm just getting started learning that software. It's brand new to me.

My settings in the camera on the video are 4K, 60 fps and "gorgeous." I'm going to experiment with "normal" today.

More from Ville Skyscape Luoto: water, trees and a church in VP9 2060p:

This is a beautiful video. BUT, it sure doesn't look like 4K, even though that's what's reported by YT "Stats for Nerds". I moved several paused frames back and forth between my HD and UHD monitors and could not see any difference. Has anyone else had this experience? Perhaps it was shot in 1080p and rendered/uploaded in 4K.

Interesting comparison from FrontierNG in Greece of raw 4k/60 footage of roughly the same scene filmed concurrently with the C23 and P4P. The RAW footage for both is also available to download.

C23:
P4P:
Thanks for finding these, YuKay.
I pulled a frame from each pointed in the same direction. The differences are amazing. The TH+ may be just a bit overexposed and the P4P underexposed. The color profiles are completely different. The TH+ is also showing slightly more details. Try flipping between these screen captures from my 4K monitor:
P4P Frame.jpg TH Plus Frame.jpg

Yes, H Plus - C23. Thanks for the advice on PD, that's no doubt the issue. Good to know. I'm just getting started learning that software. It's brand new to me.

My settings in the camera on the video are 4K, 60 fps and "gorgeous." I'm going to experiment with "normal" today.
Merhlin, you've come to the right place for assistance. There are plenty of experts here. I'm no expert but here's my 2-bits anyway:

The video is extremely blocky and with lots of compression artifacts. As you can see from other TH+ video postings here, 4K 60fps video should look smooth and sharp with lots of detail.

The problem could be the "write" speed of the microSD card that you are using in the camera. It should say U3 on it. A fast card is needed to record all the information that the camera is feeding it.

What software are you using to down-convert the 4K video to 1080p? It may be adding too much compression. I've had good experience with Cyberlink PowerDirector. Or, try posting the unenhanced (cut to length only) 4K footage on YT. You just have to be patient as it can take a lot longer.

You are very brave flying so close to railroad tracks and power lines. But you obviously have good control and a desire to learn. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Merhlin, I had a night thought about your title issue. In PowerDirector, some titles have opaque backgrounds and some have transparent backgrounds. The transparent part is usually shown with a checker board pattern. Also, you often have control over the text size, position, font, color, etc. As was mentioned earlier, the title can exist in a separate track from the rest of the video.
By the way, I like how you turned a fairly simple subject (RR Crossing) into something interesting. Keep up the good work.

Something we should note about the railroad video is the Plus does not appear to share the same aversion to flying between and along the path of the tracks the H does. In the longer runs between the tracks I would expect the H-480 to divert its path off to one side or the other where the Plus did not. Very encouraging seeing this improvement.

We still see some lens distortion with both the vertical and horizontal. The horizon shift is now very minor, with the most curvature occurring when the horizon in the upper 1/3 of the image. The vertical distortion is apparent at all times a straight line is presented that runs top to bottom in an image, even when the lines are center frame. Both the road and the tracks depict a bend where there is none above middle frame, again roughy 1/3 the distance from the top of the frame. The best way to correct this would be for Yuneec to change lenses as it is not related in any way to the sensor. The camera price point should cause buyers to demand a better lens to justify the purchase.

Over all, I think the artist did a pretty good job for someone just starting out with their Plus. He obviously likes trains and shot some good stuff he’ll be able to use as “stock” footage for incorporation with other train videos he shoots as time goes on. It will be interesting to see how the subject angles and separation from trains evolve as his experience and comfort level evolves.

As we can at times be a critical bunch when reviewing imagery I thought he demonstrated a lot of bravery in posting an early video for public critique. Clearly he wants to learn more to increase his knowledge and ability. Keep up the good work

I'
Merhlin, you've come to the right place for assistance. There are plenty of experts here. I'm no expert but here's my 2-bits anyway:

The video is extremely blocky and with lots of compression artifacts. As you can see from other TH+ video postings here, 4K 60fps video should look smooth and sharp with lots of detail.

The problem could be the "write" speed of the microSD card that you are using in the camera. It should say U3 on it. A fast card is needed to record all the information that the camera is feeding it.

What software are you using to down-convert the 4K video to 1080p? It may be adding too much compression. I've had good experience with Cyberlink PowerDirector. Or, try posting the unenhanced (cut to length only) 4K footage on YT. You just have to be patient as it can take a lot longer.

You are very brave flying so close to railroad tracks and power lines. But you obviously have good control and a desire to learn. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Thank you for your response and the helpful info.

The micro-SD card I am using is a SanDisk 32 GB with a small 3 inside the U. However, the drone came from Yuneec with a Chinese Kingston Foresee - 16 GB which I have not used because of its small size. I suppose if there continues to be issues I can look into that being a source of the problem. If you recommend a different brand or whatever I'm always open to suggestions. So far, for what I'm doing, the 32 size seems adequate, as I've not run out of card space yet. I only have two drone batteries right now to work with.

The original video is 4K, MP4, 59.94 fps.

I am learning the ropes of the CyberLink PowerDirector 16 software I just purchased for editing. There's a learning curve. I kept the process very simple, with basic transitions, the title and music. The software clearly recognized it as 4K. I have the settings as recommended in the tutorial videos and I used "shadow files" for the editing preview window if that matters.

I greatly appreciate that you understand what I was going for with this video, even if it's not fine-tuned yet (kinks to be worked out) and I recognize that learning the ins and outs of the drone and editing video is a process. Thanks for the encouragement.

Reactions: Rubik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots