Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video range test

Reaction score
Hi,
I was considering doing a range test on the 2 receiving antennas. I've seen various references to which one is preferable with regard to positioning and several other factors but these were not clear as to whether their comments were based on personal experience or what they've read or simply surmised. Has anyone personally run tests or have suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Hi,
I was considering doing a range test on the 2 receiving antennas. I've seen various references to which one is preferable with regard to positioning and several other factors but these were not clear as to whether their comments were based on personal experience or what they've read or simply surmised. Has anyone personally run tests or have suggestions as to how I should proceed?
I did trail and error testing until I got the best combination for me. I'm not sure that answers your question but I hope it's a little help.

A few people have performed multiple antenna tests and posted their preferences with comments for conditions and distances. If you’’re looking for empirical testing between manufacturers you’ll find that hard, if not impossible, to obtain. The way you phrased your question provides the appearance that what you are actually looking for is more along the line of which one works best though.

I find testing can be inconsistent personally, I can fly in same area, same antenna configuration etc and I will get excellent results, next week you try and it's completely different, in rural areas too, it's surprising.

I finally was able to do some quick and dirty tests with the 2 5.8 GHz antennas. Using the round antenna I flew along the shoreline of Monterey bay. Due to glare the H was getting hard to see but there were no obstructions. When the video started to freeze I did a bit of fiddling with the ST16 position but I was feeling a bit panicked as I wasn't sure what the H was actually doing. When the signal was stable enough I returned to the start. I wanted to use the square antenna and do the same path but with the glare I decided to go about 50 yards inland and test there. Again unobstructed path. I flew until the signal first froze, panicked again, fooled around a bit with the position and decided to return. Today I analyzed the telemetry and measured the distances in Google Earth, The round antenna flight was 485 yards. The square antenna flight was 929 yards. I think I'll stick with the square antenna. I don't foresee any immediate need to go beyond 900 yards.

Reactions: ronrod68
I finally was able to do some quick and dirty tests with the 2 5.8 GHz antennas. Using the round antenna I flew along the shoreline of Monterey bay. Due to glare the H was getting hard to see but there were no obstructions. When the video started to freeze I did a bit of fiddling with the ST16 position but I was feeling a bit panicked as I wasn't sure what the H was actually doing. When the signal was stable enough I returned to the start. I wanted to use the square antenna and do the same path but with the glare I decided to go about 50 yards inland and test there. Again unobstructed path. I flew until the signal first froze, panicked again, fooled around a bit with the position and decided to return. Today I analyzed the telemetry and measured the distances in Google Earth, The round antenna flight was 485 yards. The square antenna flight was 929 yards. I think I'll stick with the square antenna. I don't foresee any immediate need to go beyond 900 yards.

So if I’m understanding this correctly you are using three of the square antenna used in the middle?

Keep in mind that the square patch antenna is highly directional, so if you are not pointing directly at the TH you may lose signal.

I know it’s a bit pricier but I’m thinking the 4Hawkes would be a much better option if you have room in your case or don’t mind the extra minute it takes to take it off and put it on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech