Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Want to help make a better manual?

Reaction score
I've decided to start an editable document for everyone to help contribute information for a better manual.

The first stage will be completely open for all to help. Second stage will close for only a select few to actually edit, but everyone can make comments for things to be added or changed.

Anyone who helps is welcome to leave a note on the last section!

Please Please Please don't troll.

Link to the document is here:
Typhoon H manual

EDIT: Posted wrong link

Last edited:
A grand idea. Now.......where to start........hmmm............

Last edited:
I'd suggest a very short 'Quick Start' section that doesn't overwhelm the user, but just gives the bare minimum information to get them to think about keeping the Typhoon under control. No more than four or five points, and avoiding any 'technical' speak. There could be sections later on on setting up/troubleshooting (in particular, checking the ST-16 controls) and calibration, but the most common causes of problems need to be there up front rather than buried in a chapter twenty pages into the manual.

Something like this?

Getting Started:

The Typhoon is easy to fly. However, like all UAVs, it's also easy to fly into a tree and break. To avoid a costly mistake, there are a few steps you need to take first.

1. Make sure the batteries are charged up, and the Typhoon battery is fully inserted (it clicks into place)
2. Remember: If you are in Smart Mode, the Typhoon will not come closer than 26'/8m. It will back away if you approach it and might not want to come down to land. If you take off within this distance, it will only move away from you. This is the most common cause of early crashes.
3. If it isn't flying the way you expect - stop immediately.
4. Before you take off, check over the ST-16 to make sure you have all the controls in the right position for your flight. Taking off in the wrong mode can cause a lot of trouble.

I opened the link and added a small section. Not sure about how to save this but hope it worked.

To add to what Tuna has posted above, when you really start to think about what should be added, etc, it is hard to know where to stop. The points above are all worthy of mention, but we should also be noting things like correct FW upgrade procedures and also correct startup procedures. Things like keeping the H still while powering it up.
Also correct calibrations.
Pre-light and post-flight checks,
Balancing batteries. Checking and monitoring batteries/cells, etc.
The list goes on......

All of these things will help to make the flight a lot more successful.

Maybe a Wiki, rather than a Google doc??

Reactions: QuadBart
I made an edit on the front page regarding a "disclaimer". I've not used Google Docs so I didn't realize edits are saved instantly. I would have rather left the original section and added a "suggestion" for which the owner of the Doc could either decide to keep the original or accept the suggestion...

I think something to avoid would be including "common myths" which have been contentious on this forum as well as other drone forums. What I mean by that are things like "which order to do Calibrations", "How long to wait before flying so GPS can update", etc...

Great idea! I would like to see a section on regular maintenance since the FAA Part 107 requires those with the certificate in the US to have this documented. For instance I've read in somewhere about the motors having a 200 hour life span, but someplace else I think I saw only 75-100 hours?

Wes,
Fantastic idea. In a few months we will either be shaking your hand or having you committed for taking on such a project.

Dear god I hope not

Sent from my Giant Robot Suit using Tapatalk Mech Edition

Until someone flies a few motors out the life cycle is an unknown. Periodic motor checks will suffice for replacement cycle until some time periods are known. I'll be surprised if they make more than 50 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes,

I added some stuff this morning that you may want to relocate or edit. Not sure if inputting direct was the right thing to do or not.

Wes,

I added some stuff this morning that you may want to relocate or edit. Not sure if inputting direct was the right thing to do or not.

Everything seemed cool

My wife and I are English professors. After reading the manual, we found more than just a few grammatical errors and would like to volunteer to be editors. She does book and manual editing for Macmillan quite often, and we have found we make a good team proofing each other. If acceptable, should we proof on the fly, or wait for near completion?

Sent from my HS-10DTB12A-16M using Tapatalk

My wife and I are English professors. After reading the manual, we found more than just a few grammatical errors and would like to volunteer to be editors. She does book and manual editing for Macmillan quite often, and we have found we make a good team proofing each other. If acceptable, should we proof on the fly, or wait for near completion?

Sent from my HS-10DTB12A-16M using Tapatalk

I'd be perfectly cool with either. It's how ever you guys would like to. Thanks a million

Sent from my Giant Robot Suit using Tapatalk Mech Edition

This is a great idea. Can/should we add videos? I found youtube videos to be the best guide for explaining the manual.
If it would help people I don't see why not

I don't have the talent to help you guys on this but respect you for doing it - so first thank you....
I would like to suggest that someone consider writing a good section on the use of the Realsense and specifically on the Indoor Positioning System. I'm not brave enough to try it (nor do I have a space big enough) but I think it should be documented on exactly how to use it for anyone that wants to.

Trisyuneec, had posted some directions that could be a starting point if it needs a quick start to that section.

p.s. I don't know what your final delivery method is going to be (free to members, paid app etc) - but if this was an APP for like 99 cents in the app store with the how too videos etc that may be a way to help cover costs or something. I don't recall reading what the "charter" for the final product was going to be so maybe thinking about that now, will help with how the document is built and what it can include (text only, video, etc)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval