Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

Well that made me pucker!!

Discussion in 'Q500 Discussion' started by Cranky Trapper, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Katherine

I did! I got the typical answer from Yuneec to "send it in", but I ended up fixing it myself. I blew out all the sand (I hope) using the canned air for computers. I also swabbed around to make sure I didn't see anything else gritty. It seems that the bottom part of the gimbal mount is non-existent as a replacement part - only the top part that attaches to the body is available. A little Gorilla Super Glue fixed that right up, and you really have to look to see a hairline crack where I glued it. I re-bound the H & ST16, and voila! Back in the air! I haven't had any other issues with unexpected behavior since (knock on wood).....

Cranky Trapper and Agustine like this.
  2. Rayray

Rayray Guest

Super! DIY is alive and well. I know about the "knock on wood" part, and I just ordered a set of Allen wrenches to speed up taking the H's apart and putting them back together.
    Luck in 2017:).

Katherine likes this.
  3. Katherine

I've got the Allen wrenches, but hoping not to have to use them anytime soon. :) Happy New Year!

4. Firefly

Be careful! They should put THIS IS NOT A TOY! in bigger print of these things! My first night with my bird home just before Christmas, I decided to get everything calibrated. Once I had the compass calibrated I thought to myself at 10:30 at night that I could fire it up!
    I set it on the patio and started it up! I know, A kid with a new toy that just can't wait! So it was on the ground running and I thought to myself I bet I can make it just hover! :eek: I lifted it off the ground standing about 5 ft away from it! In angle mode! It's hovering just beautiful! As I'm admiring it, it starts backing up towards me! My first thought is it's going to hit the house!! So as it gets to me I'm going to either grab it, or bump it forward away from me! :D Wrong answer!!!! ZINGGGG!!! It crashes to the concrete! Both rear props are broken! As I bend over to pick it up I notice blood all over the patio! Hmmmm! Wonder where that came from??? Well, it didn't take long to figure out, and at 11:30 I'm on my way to the ER for 4 stitches in my ring finger! :( Lucky it was just 2 props and a little pride that got damaged before I even really flew it!
    The worst part is I know most of the ER staff, and some of them I work with at the fire house! Of course I still haven't heard the end of it! o_O
    I can't imagine grabbing it from over head knowing what I know now, and taking the chance of it hitting me in the face! Although in a panic of it flying away I can't say I wouldn't have tried the same!
    Let's all be safe out there! THIS IS NOT A TOY! :)

Bonnie-Lou Ferris likes this.
  5. Firefly

BTW Trapper! Did you draw the wrinkled smiley face in the snow on your pond? I just looked at your pic, and it looks like a old man smiley face on your pond! :)
    Things look so much different from the air! Cool Stuff! :D

Cranky Trapper likes this.
  6. Bonnie-Lou Ferris

Glad you learned a lesson, these are not meant to fly in freezing temperatures, - 41 WOW!! lucky you did not have something worse happen. My SFOC Commercial Aviation license states we are not to be flying in freezing temperatures for safety reasons, Federally Regulated. it's tempting when it looks so beautiful out and we want to fly. Have fun, it will warm up soon and fly your heart out girl!! I was informed last week in BC Transport Canada has upped their Enforcements team and FINES start at $5000. They are cracking down big time. TC is on FB, YOUTUBE and Internet to catch people flying unsafe or commercially without a license. If anyone flys unsafe and against regulations in BC, TC is knocking on doors now!! Have fun everyone, be smart and fly safe.
    Cheers
    Bonnie-LouFerris.Com

7. Bonnie-Lou Ferris

8. Cranky Trapper

Thanks for the heads up about the monitoring. Right now I'm only flying out in the rural setting around my acreage- farm land for miles and miles. Best place to practice :)

9. Cranky Trapper

Yes it does look like a 'Cranky Trapper ' face. Lol but no I didn't draw it on there - it's from the aerator in the dugout. :)