Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What’s your preferred carry Camera

First was the Minolta XD-11.

My DSLR’s are Canon EOS 5D & 5D Mark II.

Posts Recalling all the old stuff, makes me remember the interchangeable focusing screens and the split screen standard and the aperture / exposure needle.

Now... dozens or hundreds of focusing point instantly available.

Anyone recall what their FIRST SLR was?
Mine... Minolta SRt101, had to be full manual for class.

First 35mm - Konica Auto S2 rangefinder... First SLR - Konica Autoreflex T3...
Then switched to Canon... AE1 and later the A1. A couple of years later, a local photographer convinced me that to make any money in wedding work, I needed medium format "quality". Believed him, and picked up a Mamiya 645 setup.

A few years later a good friend challenged me to shoot a lens sharpness target with my Mamiya 645 setup, and he shot the same with his Nikon 35mm and we compared results. Sold all of my 645 setup a week later, and picked up what would be my final series of cameras... the FE2 (and later the FM2 as a backup).

Only shot about 10 weddings... but since, I tell people that I have done some VERY bad things in my life... and as a result, my fear is that I will be reincarnated as a wedding/prom photographer. ?

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
So who all still has a DSLR at the ready, in hand, still carries when wondering the trail or a tourist spot?

Anyone recall what their FIRST SLR was?
Mine... Minolta SRt101, had to be full manual for class.

A dslr goes almost everywhere with me. There's always one in the car. The habit left as I got older but my daughter became a photojournalist and that reignited the old bug to always have a cam at the ready. Like she taught me, "The best pictures are always the ones you didn't know were there."

First slr?..... One of the Minolta SR's then graduated to one of the later Minolta X's. I don't think I'd even remember how to properly use either of them now.

First 35mm - Konica Auto S2 rangefinder... First SLR - Konica Autoreflex T3...
Then switched to Canon... AE1 and later the A1. A couple of years later, a local photographer convinced me that to make any money in wedding work, I needed medium format "quality". Believed him, and picked up a Mamiya 645 setup.

A few years later a good friend challenged me to shoot a lens sharpness target with my Mamiya 645 setup, and he shot the same with his Nikon 35mm and we compared results. Sold all of my 645 setup a week later, and picked up what would be my final series of cameras... the FE2 (and later the FM2 as a backup).

Only shot about 10 weddings... but since, I tell people that I have done some VERY bad things in my life... and as a result, my fear is that I will be reincarnated as a wedding/prom photographer. [emoji45]

Is your Mamiya 645 setup w/ digital back?

Is your Mamiya 645 setup w/ digital back?

No... long before that was an option... if I remember, I bailed on the Mamiya 645 in about 1990...

Interesting beyound Canon & Nikon for the first or early SLR, several are sighting a Minolta. No one so far mentioned a Pentex, which was a popular manual SLR.

Don't know why, but my memory has many people always carying a Pentex when I traveled. Seemed like Pentex & Nikon were the most common visibly... in old memory.

Interesting beyound Canon & Nikon for the first or early SLR, several are sighting a Minolta. No one so far mentioned a Pentex, which was a popular manual SLR.

Don't know why, but my memory has many people always carying a Pentex when I traveled. Seemed like Pentex & Nikon were the most common visibly... in old memory.
Has anyone mentioned Olympus?

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I have always had a Nikon, my last one that I could afford was when my son was born 15 years ago a Nikon D5100. With buying UAV's and just trying to get through life I never upgraded to a better camera although it was very tempting :) I been watching the new NIKON Z6 which will have true Raw video after a firmware update.
Last year I and LuvMyTJ got in on a KickStarter for the Arsenal smart camera assistant. It is still being refined but I have had some pretty nice photos from it. I am on their beta team testing out the Holy Grail timelapses. It works pretty good for a all nighter of the stars.

A couple of my better photos to date using my Nikon D5100 and the Arsenal .

HXW28RT.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned Olympus?
Oh I remember when the Olympus small body was released. What chatter among photographer's groups on the size, lens size, and operation of the camera. For the time period, really broke new ground. I vaguely remember the dials or something was not placed or functioned in the normal / standard manor. Don't recall what that was, but it was something different about the early Olympus bodies.

I have always had a Nikon, my last one that I could afford was when my son was born 15 years ago a Nikon D5100. With buying UAV's and just trying to get through life I never upgraded to a better camera although it was very tempting :) I been watching the new NIKON Z6 which will have true Raw video after a firmware update.
Last year I and LuvMyTJ got in on a KickStarter for the Arsenal smart camera assistant. It is still being refined but I have had some pretty nice photos from it. I am on their beta team testing out the Holy Grail timelapses. It works pretty good for a all nighter of the stars.

A couple of my better photos to date using my Nikon D5100 and the Arsenal .
Very nice shots, great depth & color. The Owl is perfect... off center, looking straight at ya with eyes wide open, and his brown tones work in beautifully with the grey silver background. Was that a timed shutter with the Arsenal sync. I hadn't seen the arsenal, full control on smart phone and visual? WiFi or BT to phone?

Very nice shots, great depth & color. The Owl is perfect... off center, looking straight at ya with eyes wide open, and his brown tones work in beautifully with the grey silver background. Was that a timed shutter with the Arsenal sync. I hadn't seen the arsenal, full control on smart phone and visual? WiFi or BT to phone?
That one was a lot of work with lightroom and photoshop to make it look like that so i have no idea what settings I had for the camera at the time. Its all about creating magic in the end and i was very happy with the results.

That one was a lot of work with lightroom and photoshop to make it look like that so i have no idea what settings I had for the camera at the time. Its all about creating magic in the end and i was very happy with the results.
Agree... that one is a beautiful shot in darkroom post work, composure and subject matter!

That one would very nice on the newer Metal media with an alloy looking frame. Even slicing it up into 3 large wall diagonal separate sections behind couch or on large wall.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I’m a Sony A7R3 shooter w/ Canon 17mm Tilt/shift lens for real estate, Zeiss batis 18mm for video, and Sony 70-200mm 2.8 GM for food photography. I went with Freefly M10 instead of DJI. About to pull the trigger on a ready rig vest so I can do a lot more real estate videos.

Anyone still into hand holding instead of flying the camera?
Curious as to your personal carry or bag.

Personally, as life & work got busy... I’ve openly stated I’d never use a Phone Camera, but I find myself using the Note 8 or iPhone X since they’ve improved so much and it’s always on ya! Used to self-chuckle at tourist spots and see the people use a phone to capture a lion 20-30 yards out... holding phone up, lion used up a few pixels, barely visible. I’d whip out a 70-210 or 100-400 and grab a great shot. Now, I’m the dork grabbing a phone and checking if I could grab a shot.

I was always a Canon bagger, from film to digital remained a Canon Owner. Now planning to shelf the Canon body since it won’t pull any value and switch over to Sony A7Riii. I’ll grab a metabones or similar to use my a Canon glass.

I picked a used GH4 for use on aerial gimbal, needed repairs before it’d all work. The RoninMX can carry a Full DSLR, which brought me around to the Canon A7R series. The 42meg sharp aerial image sounds Awesome!

The more I read, waiting to find a good deal on A7Riii, the more I’m impressed where hi-end cameras have developed. The A7Riii is a pricy body, but in comparison to Pro rigs 20 yrs ago it’s pretty moderately priced.

What’s your camera bag?

Yuneec in air Canon on the ground :)
I shoot a lot of motorsports so still use the 7d MKII with the 70-200 f/2.8, even though it is a crop sensor it is an awesome camera with high framerate.
It is on its second year now and the shutter count is really close to the cameras end of life, so I hope it will survive this season.

I have just read some rumors that Canon will release their high mp EOS R to the Olympics in 2020 if it brings a high framerate and good ergonomics I think I am ready to go mirrorless, but we will see never the less I canon all the way.

So, all you folks are talking about large(ish) cameras and accessories. Let me put in a plug for a compact camera. I used to have conventional size camera with long and short lenses, etc. But for the last several years, my wife and I have been enjoying a Sony RX100 (mk 2). It's so compact that I can slip it in my pocket. It's 1" sensor and 3x zoom lens produce great 20 Mp photos. The new Mk 6 version has a longer zoom range but slower lens. The camera that you have handy is the best camera to get that unexpected shot.

Yuneec in air Canon on the ground :)
I shoot a lot of motorsports so still use the 7d MKII with the 70-200 f/2.8, even though it is a crop sensor it is an awesome camera with high framerate.
It is on its second year now and the shutter count is really close to the cameras end of life, so I hope it will survive this season.

I have just read some rumors that Canon will release their high mp EOS R to the Olympics in 2020 if it brings a high framerate and good ergonomics I think I am ready to go mirrorless, but we will see never the less I canon all the way.
Agree... still have a 7D, I actually like the crop sensor for some shots!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital