Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What’s your preferred carry Camera

Yuneec in air Canon on the ground :)
I shoot a lot of motorsports so still use the 7d MKII with the 70-200 f/2.8, even though it is a crop sensor it is an awesome camera with high framerate.
It is on its second year now and the shutter count is really close to the cameras end of life, so I hope it will survive this season.

I have just read some rumors that Canon will release their high mp EOS R to the Olympics in 2020 if it brings a high framerate and good ergonomics I think I am ready to go mirrorless, but we will see never the less I canon all the way.
You get a good zoom range and reach with that sensor, and a shutter can always be replaced.

My DSLR died an inglorious death when it slipped out of my hands on the rock trail up to Bridal Veil Falls. It was just a simple Yashica FR1 but I had used it so much it was like an old friend. It still sits in a closet wishing for better days.

Reactions: ChadCloses
My DSLR died an inglorious death when it slipped out of my hands on the rock trail up to Bridal Veil Falls. It was just a simple Yashica FR1 but I had used it so much it was like an old friend. It still sits in a closet wishing for better days.
Was it s DSLR or SLR?

Pat, have your slide handy, for rough estimate... how much lighter payload is the Oct with 18" compared to Hex with 21" for lift capacity. Not calculating for the motor capacity, just the Oct dish vs the Hex dish, considering the 21 has a substantial larger cord section on blades.

I’d dump the flat 6 and 8 concepts in favor of a Y-6. More maneuverable and can turn big motors and larger props as needed. Ditch retractable landing gear and used fixed gear incorporated with the gimbal table. Similar to the old FreeFly Radian gimbal and landing gear arrangement. Field of view is always clear, less mechanicals to fail, fewer electrical switches, and a lighter assembly. Set up right you can go from 6s to 12s in a heartbeat. KDE for motors, ESC’s, and folding props if desired.

I’ve watched them do 35lbs without breaking a sweat in mapping applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dougcjohn
I’d dump the flat 6 and 8 concepts in favor of a Y-6. More maneuverable and can turn motors and larger props as needed. Ditch retractable landing gear and used fixed gear incorporated with the gimbal table. Similar to the old FreeFly Radian gimbal and landing gear arrangement. Field of view is always clear, less mechanicals to fail, and a lighter assembly. Set up right you can go from 6s to 12s in a heartbeat. KDE for motors, ESC’s, and folding props if desired.

I’ve watched them do 35lbs without breaking a sweat in mapping applications.
The Y-6 might be a project down the road to certainly consider, sounds interesting and I’ve looked more at X-8 than Y-6. You like the push-pull setups then, any thought how much lift is lost in a P&P setup with 2 props in same air flow. The Tarot X-4 to X-8 is similar, gives lot more Prop & Motor options in a smaller diameter craft.

Yep you’re correct on prop clearance, the Octal requires longer custom booms & stronger boom mounts to provide prop clearance. The larger prop dish is less agile and slower on the maneuvers. Although that also equates to a smooth floating stable platform for slow scans & easy to observe at great distance.

The Tarot frame as an X-8 has been one I’ve wanted to try eventually as large push-pull built with the big M600Pro motors & 21” Props. The push/pull boom-end tandem mounts to fit the huge 6010 motors & ESC housings may be a challenge, normally ESC’s are in main body or under / in boom, I like the ESC’s in motor housing design. The Tarot Octal main distribution board is spec’ed to handle up to 12 - 16S, down to 6S.

Oddly, I can sell the SpreadingWings 1000 custom builds easily with profit... lot of interest from SAR teams with the added size for large LED panels & drop box. Building the platform with modern A3 Pro and Lightbridge 2 electronics, larger motors & props, coupled with tandem set of 22,000 LiPo packs... using XT-R, Z30, and RoninMX gimbals. It’s viewed similarly as a M600Pro class platform able to use all DJI M600Pro mounts (except XT2 due to FW restriction) & programs using standard LiPo, Non-DJI batteries. GREATLY reducing battery cost while retaining DJI hardware & operational compatibility. That generates a lot of interest from a specific audience. Sadly the E1200 TPS Motor Prop kits inventory is about dried up. I have enough for one additional Octal in inventory and I know of enough global to obtain 1 more set. My last set was obtained from 3 different countries... USA has been zero for sometime.

For myself, looking at the DSLR RoninMX platform or long duration mapping scanner with light camera & 4 LiPo bricks.
Overall an enjoyable time experimenting and something different to build.

Don’t know, as it didn’t make for much conversation. Only thing I got had it very payload limited and the factory payloads could not deliver the resolution at mandatory stand off minimums. Crops not permitted.

As for what is given up in a coaxial config, I’ve heard 5-7% but real life experience has shown the diff to be negligible. What you might lose in time is more than made up for in maneuverability and reduced disc area providing greater wind stability. That a coax allows for larger motors and props also provides for a lot more payload weight flexibility on a smaller airframe. A 35lb lift Y-6 is dimensionally similar to an M600.

I was 95% certain that’s where you traveled...
A few msg leaders dripped a few elementary clues. ;)

Do hope yer having a blast... and working!

Last edited:
PM if edgy...
Any idea what they have in the Y-6 setup minus camera but all electronics? Cost vs Market value?

That is a clean compact design, and simplistic to maintain.

I started with a Pentax K1000 in the mid Eighties. It started feeding on Batteries. In early 2005-2006 I bought a Kodak Easyshare with 10X zoom and 10 megapixel. I recently bought a Nikon D7200. My carry lens is a nikon 18-200mm zoom. It's a little heavy but I carry it with me every day. I rarely leave home without it. I was going to buy a nikon 200-500 5.6 Lens and bought the H plus instead.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I started with a Pentax K1000 in the mid Eighties. It started feeding on Batteries. In early 2005-2006 I bought a Kodak Easyshare with 10X zoom and 10 megapixel. I recently bought a Nikon D7200. My carry lens is a nikon 18-200mm zoom. It's a little heavy but I carry it with me every day. I rarely leave home without it. I was going to buy a nikon 200-500 5.6 Lens and bought the H plus instead.
The 1st Pentax appears in the list... that K1000 was a staple! It stood the time for a long time, several schools practically required it for classes.

A 18-200 as a daily carry, is that a compact zoom or long.
Is the jury still out on H-Plus over the 200-500 5.6?

PM if edgy...
Any idea what they have in the Y-6 setup minus camera but all electronics? Cost vs Market value?

That is a clean compact design, and simplistic to maintain.

You hit NDA territory but the cost is pretty reasonable. They come in many sizes.

The 1st Pentax appears in the list... that K1000 was a staple! It stood the time for a long time, several schools practically required it for classes.

A 18-200 as a daily carry, is that a compact zoom or long.
Is the jury still out on H-Plus over the 200-500 5.6?
It's 3" around and 3 3/4" long at 18MM. It's a little heavy but it does so much. I'm still figuring the D7200 out. It's pretty busy with all sorts of bell and whistles.

I haven't hit a tree with the Nikon yet. LOL

In my film days (40 years ago) I shot with 2 Canon A1's with motor drives. I could see the exposure meter with my glasses on.
Besides the 50 1.2, I shot real estate with an 18 2.8, critters with a 200 2.8, and everything else with an 80-200 3.5.
The big lowepro bag also had 3 flashes & lots of Coken filters.
I discovered that the big cats see a big lens as a threat. It's why so many big cat pics have that "look".
I sold it all when I went to video. Now I'm all compact digital, with no big glass.
This time-lapse video was made with 2 cheap action cam's (the first one got rained on).
Nine days compressed into 6 minutes:

Reactions: RPR and Dougcjohn
In my film days (40 years ago) I shot with 2 Canon A1's with motor drives. I could see the exposure meter with my glasses on.
Besides the 50 1.2, I shot real estate with an 18 2.8, critters with a 200 2.8, and everything else with an 80-200 3.5.
I discovered that the big cats see a big lens as a threat. It's why so many big cat pics have that "look".
I sold it all when I went to video. Now I'm all compact digital, with no big glass.
This time-lapse video was made with 2 cheap action cam's (the first one got rained on).
Big Cats, as in Africa safari, USA species or zoo trips? As a cat lover, any old shots shareable?
Enjoyed the time compressed video!

40 years ago, it's surprising how time flies bye, only seems a moment ago film, bit like buying records way in the past.

Reactions: RPR and Jal7884

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval