Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What’s your preferred carry Camera

More than anything else for me was the 1/250 flash sync on the FE2/FM2, for tack sharp studio flash shots... and yes the MD-12 added some size, but also reasonably quiet. But ultimately, it's all about the glass, baby!
True, but everything was easier and simpler then.

Man I started with my dads camera which he purchased back in 1961, wish I kept it.
Simpler, heck no way! 16mm was tough, and not knowing the results especially until it was processed.

Man I started with my dads camera which he purchased back in 1961, wish I kept it.
Simpler, heck no way! 16mm was tough, and not knowing the results especially until it was processed.
Leap of faith.

Canon D body for stuff I really care about. A T3 and older T2 for hanging around my neck when wandering. Not a pro and gear for hobbyists can get pricey so I tend to be protective of my better gear.

Simpler time? Yeah right. Today's photography is easier by light years compared to what we had to deal with in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Reactions: Jal7884 and PatR
Canon D body for stuff I really care about. A T3 and older T2 for hanging around my neck when wandering. Not a pro and gear for hobbyists can get pricey so I tend to be protective of my better gear.

Simpler time? Yeah right. Today's photography is easier by light years compared to what we had to deal with in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
The only thing that's changed is development and no film, getting an image to view, and spending a long time in Photoshop hours to please a client, personally nothing else has changed, the lens and DSLRs are just as big or heavier, Still need a tripod and monopod. Of course smaller cameras are available,

we had to deal with in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
[/QUOTE]
Ah 60's. in 8th grade.

@AH-1G one word... Fotomat

or three words... Polaroid Square Shooter

Yea, dad had several different models throughout the years, he always wanted the latest and greates.
The cartridge was interesting.

The only thing that's changed is development and no film, getting an image to view, and spending a long time in Photoshop hours to please a client, personally nothing else has changed, the lens and DSLRs are just as big or heavier, Still need a tripod and monopod. Of course smaller cameras are available,

And how many hours and $$$ does that save? As a broke shooter in the 80's I lost many an opportunity for great pics, or was limited to one or two frames of an interesting topic instead of the dozens I shoot now, simply because I couldn't afford the film and processing. Today it's just up to personal creativity and time.

Heck, I can process a shoot sitting at a desk in my living room. Just doing away with a darkroom is exponentially simpler than it used to be.

Reactions: AH-1G
Do you own one? You have little protection compared to the 105mm, it has no lens hood, the governess to put back on religiously.

Yes it does....it’s built in. Small....effective?.....but it’s there.

Nice case, I'm to cheap!

I am planning of switching to Sony, but I’ve been too lazy to post it on Craigslist and or I’m just attached to my gears.. [emoji23]

Effective just a little only in name, to prevent flare if your careful, always found the 58mm 1.4 vastly superior to 50mm 1.8.

Yes for sure....the 50mm 1.8 “nifty 50” is a great piece of kit, but comparing it to any of the 1.4 primes.....not even in the same league. I’m not sure how we transitioned from a 14-24 2.8 to a 50mm 1.8?

Doug,

If your rig can carry it, hanging a 24-240 on that a7 makes for some powerful imagery. For general carry work I’m still using an a6000. A bit limited over the newer stuff but I’m used to it.

I’m a Nikon shooter. My main rig is a D810 with all 3 Gold Ring 2.8’s: 14-24mm; 24-70mm; 70-200mm.

The 24-70mm gets the most time for just casual street photography, switching out to the 70-200mm depending on what I’m wanting to create. The 14-24mm gets used inside a lot and with really wide landscapes. I use the 24-70mm 60%, 70-200mm 35% and the 14-24mm 5%.

I have a nice set of 1.8 Primes I use at times. The 35mm and 50mm for catch-all shooting, and the 85mm and 105mm for portraiture. Just can’t beat that 85mm for amazing bokeh....it’s called the “Cream Machine” for a reason. The 105mm is even better, with astounding bokeh and great compression for facial features. The big drawback on the 105mm is it’s size and weight. It a giant “hunk o glass” and is intimidating to the model. Pro’s deal with it but amateurs can really be freaked by it.
LOL... "intimidating to the model"... we're talking about the size of the glass... correct! ;)

The 85 1.8 is a great portraiture prime, the 85-90 1.2-1.8 seems to be favorite across all brands of glass.

My two main cameras are both Nikon... non digital... an FE2 and an FM2... neither has shot a frame of film in 12 years. Only owned 2 lenses... standard 50mm and (at the time) the sharpest lens available... the 105mm Micro Nikkor. ?
I remember those, FM2 mainly.
Had Canon A1 and 630, still have a few 6xx series in a box... somewhere downstairs. My gap in years going from film to digital was lengthy. Found it disappointing what my A1 was worth used and what the early digital bodies cost. I've often pondered getting the film, trays and enlarger dug out... used to be fun in the darkroom. Can't imagine spending that time now for a few prints.... times have changed.

Doug,

If your rig can carry it, hanging a 24-240 on that a7 makes for some powerful imagery. For general carry work I’m still using an a6000. A bit limited over the newer stuff but I’m used to it.

At this stage, I'm still drooling on the A7Riii, haven't laid claim to one yet. Kinda waiting for the A7R iv to be announced or released so the R iii will take a dive in price.

That would be an impressive lens, not sure how strong you could set the lens for clarity, although not a power zoom so you'd need a servo & ring if in-flight zoom or racking was desired. The M600pro & RoninMX could carry the payload, the R-MX main improvement increased payload and a full cage compared to the R-M along with the multiple extension rails & balance weights. The R-MX was designed as a compact mount for the RED & Lenses.

I'm playing with different damper mount compared to the stock plunger style. I like this one, but pricey: Upgraded wire damper mount for DJI M600 | eBay
Nice dampener, each wire coil rated at 1.5kg, total of 12kg > 26.4 lb total capacity so plenty spare overhead, Tunable to payload so not to overly stiff. The carbon plate makes the mount adaptable to multiple AC mounts, looks to be adaptable to the SW1000 Octal I'm customizing for load, taking it from a 15" to 17-18" Octal & upgraded to E1200 TPS (4216 motors). The Dampener Mount actually helps reduce the multiple mounts and reduces overall weight.

I've bumped into a guy that uses a A7Rii and 16-35 f2.8 GM with a RoninMX mounted to a Tarot X4-X8 Octal with 17" push-pull props. The 16-35 is a hefty 680g, the 24-240 is porky 780g (1.7lb). Plus the counter balancer weight on the rear, would be a package.

For aerial, that is a nice part of the A7Riii... it's smaller & lighter than most DSLR's. At 657g compared to a D5 at 810g. Saves on counter weights and allows more weight on lens.

Pat, have your slide handy, for rough estimate... how much lighter payload is the Oct with 18" compared to Hex with 21" for lift capacity. Not calculating for the motor capacity, just the Oct dish vs the Hex dish, considering the 21 has a substantial larger cord section on blades.

So who all still has a DSLR at the ready, in hand, still carries when wondering the trail or a tourist spot?

Actually, I’ve seen an “up tick” in DSLR’s at tourist stops.
And not a direct measuring indicator, but my local BestBuys have increased their camera display section.

Posts Recalling all the old stuff, makes me remember the interchangeable focusing screens and the split screen standard and the aperture / exposure needle.

Now... dozens or hundreds of focusing point instantly available.

Anyone recall what their FIRST SLR was?
Mine... Minolta SRt101, had to be full manual for class.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop