Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What are the 'true' No Fly Zone restrictions?

Reaction score
I did do a search on NFZ this time before I posted this question but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I thought I read somewhere that the Typhoon H had built in firmware that would not even allow it to be powered up if it was within ANY NFZ let alone restrict flying to a specified low level. Can someone describe what the real restrictions are and how the 'H' works with them? I apologize if this a repeat question from someone else but I didn't find one as I have read where some individuals seem to be very disturbed by 'newbee' questions being posted.

Yuneec told me the NFZ is 1 mile around large airports. So heliports and small mom and pops should not count.
In the USA it's 5 miles to the best of my knowledge (might be 4 ) but most software I see shows a 5 mile radius and 400 feet in altitude, I think 500 is upper legal limit but that is also the low fly zone for real aircraft so the 100 foot difference fromm 400-500 is a good safety buffer. If the airport in the 5 mile circle is in your zone, you are supposed to call the FBO at the airport and notify them of your flight. Some airports have no FBO so it's not an option. Red 5 Mile radius is a true no fly zone where yellow is permissible if you contact the airport and notify them if your flight plan.

I may be wrong but that is how I understand it and call the airport if I can and tell them what I'm doing. No big deal if you call.

USA is 5 miles from any airport with a control tower. 3 miles for smaller ones that don't have one like county airports that handle smaller craft.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
OK Firt off anyone can google FAA drone rules and regs but here is your answer. Its 5miles from airports. 400ft up and line of site. Also the same rules apply to the air that apply on the ground as far as privacy. You shouldnt be flying where you could see in someones fenced in back yard. Just remember you shouldnt be somewhere looking that a person would have an expectation of privacy. However I dont think in most cases people will say anything unless you are hovering over your neighbor sun bathing. Just use common sense. Its because of idiots not following the rules that the FAA is starting to crack down in the first place. This is a great hobby. Lets keep it that way. Hope this helps. If anyone wants anymore info you can always contact me on FB. I am on and off there all day every day.

You don't have an expectation of privacy with only a fenced in yard. That is a hope for privacy. That is why the paparazzi have gotten pictures of celebs on their property by climbing trees etc... Is it creepy, yes. Is it illegal, no!

Also it makes me mad that people think drones are spying on them when most drones are flying high enough that you cannot see lots of details to be creepy anyway. People look very small when you are 200 feet up.

If you flew one into someones yard just above the house etc.. that is an invasion as you are in the yard basically. IMHO. Flying 250+ or even 100+ feet above the houses, fenced in or not, you are just flying. My opinion.

You only can expect privacy behind walls that are privately owned.

Reactions: FlushVision
I agree 110%. Its common sense. As far as the paparazzi they break a ton of laws but people just dont want to waste the time on a petty trespassing charge. I can assure you that people sun bathe in there fenced in yards and there is most certainly an expectation of privacy.

Page 18 of manual. MANUALS Typhoon H

NO-FLY ZONES
With a suitable GPS signal/lock it will not be possible to start the motors, takeoff or fly Typhoon H in the 'No-Fly Zones' within a 4 mile(6.4 kilometer) radius of most major airports.

I get phone calls at work everyday for people who want to fly drones near my airport (yes, I'm an FAA air traffic controller). All we ask is where they will be, how long they will be operating, faa uas registration number and advise them to stay below 400' agl and stay in line of sight. We have actually let people operate them on the airport property. I understand why yuneec has done this, because little Billy got a drone for his birthday and thinks it would be cool to get a video of a plane taking off. My problem is, I'm not little Billy and I can see the runway from my driveway. I bought my typhoon h to film my nephews on their dirt bikes in my backyard and will probably never go higher than 15-20 feet AGL and never leave my property. There really needs to be a bypass for this for us responsible users, as of now i effectively have a $1300 paper weight.

I get phone calls at work everyday for people who want to fly drones near my airport (yes, I'm an FAA air traffic controller). All we ask is where they will be, how long they will be operating, faa uas registration number and advise them to stay below 400' agl and stay in line of sight. We have actually let people operate them on the airport property. I understand why yuneec has done this, because little Billy got a drone for his birthday and thinks it would be cool to get a video of a plane taking off. My problem is, I'm not little Billy and I can see the runway from my driveway. I bought my typhoon h to film my nephews on their dirt bikes in my backyard and will probably never go higher than 15-20 feet AGL and never leave my property. There really needs to be a bypass for this for us responsible users, as of now i effectively have a $1300 paper weight.[/ If you are truly never more then 20ft or so off the ground no one would ever know. In all actuality FPV goggles are illegal because you have to be able to see your drone but everyone still uses them. Most of the time only a few ft off the ground so there is never a reason for concern though either. I dont want to tell anyone to break any rules but thats how I feel personally in your situation.

Reactions: Boredcontroller
I agree with you completely, problem is yuneec decided to not let my motors turn on at my house because it's in a no fly zone. That's the problem I have.

Yuneec told me the NFZ is 1 mile around large airports. So heliports and small mom and pops should not count.

It does count.
6 miles off the miniscule airport and I can't fly yet.
Meaning I can't fly anywhere in Macau.
RIDICULOUS

I get phone calls at work everyday for people who want to fly drones near my airport (yes, I'm an FAA air traffic controller). All we ask is where they will be, how long they will be operating, faa uas registration number and advise them to stay below 400' agl and stay in line of sight. We have actually let people operate them on the airport property. I understand why yuneec has done this, because little Billy got a drone for his birthday and thinks it would be cool to get a video of a plane taking off. My problem is, I'm not little Billy and I can see the runway from my driveway. I bought my typhoon h to film my nephews on their dirt bikes in my backyard and will probably never go higher than 15-20 feet AGL and never leave my property. There really needs to be a bypass for this for us responsible users, as of now i effectively have a $1300 paper weight.

I'm speechless on you using the same word I use for my H....PAPERWEIGHT

Reactions: Boredcontroller

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval