Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What can I do in No-fly zone?

Well for me it’d be an expensive trip back to Marin County so I payed the fine but if I was a resident I’d see the judge given my temperament. It’s a wide net like I said that if it isn’t a movie star your filming, it’s some animal your disturbing because it’s the most regulated state in the country and tax funded lawyers got more time and money then us poor pilots.

What are you using to determine your NFZ? There are a lot listed in apps like B4UFly, AirMap, etc. that are not true NFZ’s. If you live within 5 miles of a towered airport then you most likely be grounded , otherwise you follow section 336 rules for now, until the new FAA rules take effect.

With respect to the new (Section 349) versus old (Section 336) rules when within 5 miles of a tower controlled airport, the main change will be that the new rules require actual permission to fly, while the current rules only require notification to the tower.

It’s a privacy bill that’s based around paparazzi intrusions but was written so broadly that it’s a big net so technically yes it’s all cameras. It’s yet to be legally challenged because no one has been arrested that I’m aware of as it’s tickets and fines for first offense. It’s funny that they are trying this in the state with the one of the biggest influx of drone pilots.

What was the ticket for? Flying in a park or privacy? Based on it being a park range I'm guessing park. There are laws here in California regarding flying from within a park. But be aware, for the most part only the FAA can make rules about how you fly (location, altitude, etc.) But many local and state laws regulate where you fly from. In other words, they can control where you are standing when you fly, but not how you fly once in the air.

Also, the privacy laws are civil laws that generally require a lawsuit to trigger:

California Code, Civil Code - CIV § 1708.8 | FindLaw

State park laws:
Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks

National Park rules:
Unmanned Aircraft in the National Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

Note, that regarding parks, they can only regulate the operation from WITHIN the park. They generally cannot regulate operation OVER the park.

And finally, a recent memo from the FAA regarding FAA authority versus local authority (state, local, etc.)

Press Release – FAA Statement–Federal vs. Local Drone Authority

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcojanson67