Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What can I do in No-fly zone?

Reaction score
New here. I'm expecting a Pro package in several days. I'm in a no-fly zone and would like to know what checks I can do prior to bringing the drone to an area where I can fly. Or perhaps I should ask what will I not be able to do other than actually fly. As I am new to drones any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Jim F.

In a NFZ in most cases, you will not be able to lift off let alone start engines.

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-1.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 31
  • Typhoon_Chklist.pdf
    644.4 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: AJan
Find a WIDE open area where there are no TREES. Read the manual, top of page 21 very important also.

Ummm, what part of "no fly" is hard to understand;)?

You'll be able to calibrate the compass, accelerometers, camera gimbal, and update the GPS Almanac. Beyond that, nothing.

New here. I'm expecting a Pro package in several days. I'm in a no-fly zone and would like to know what checks I can do prior to bringing the drone to an area where I can fly. Or perhaps I should ask what will I not be able to do other than actually fly. As I am new to drones any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Jim F.

What are you using to determine your NFZ? There are a lot listed in apps like B4UFly, AirMap, etc. that are not true NFZ’s. If you live within 5 miles of a towered airport then you most likely be grounded , otherwise you follow section 336 rules for now, until the new FAA rules take effect.

Ummm, what part of "no fly" is hard to understand;)?

You'll be able to calibrate the compass, accelerometers, camera gimbal, and update the GPS Almanac. Beyond that, nothing.
I tried my best to discourage your response of "what part of "no fly" is hard to understand " but I've obviously failed. Your info about calibration was helpful as I didn't know if the compass and other calibrations would be possible.

The first part of my response was left handed humor, hence the wink afterwards. It was further softened with an explanation of what you can do afterwards. If offense is what you seek there’s surely other things than might provide greater cause for offense.

As mentioned in an earlier post you may want to positively establish you are indeed in a true no fly zone recognized by Yuneec’s software. If you’re looking at a B4UFly map or anything from AirMap or DJI you may find them to be generally inapplicable when using Yuneec products. Yuneec does not restrict everything under the sun.

Helpful would be to state what NFZ location you believe will restrict you.

What is your approximate location? I'll look up NFZ in your area.
A cross street would be helpful.

The first part of my response was left handed humor, hence the wink afterwards. It was further softened with an explanation of what you can do afterwards. If offense is what you seek there’s surely other things than might provide greater cause for offense.

As mentioned in an earlier post you may want to positively establish you are indeed in a true no fly zone recognized by Yuneec’s software. If you’re looking at a B4UFly map or anything from AirMap or DJI you may find them to be generally inapplicable when using Yuneec products. Yuneec does not restrict everything under the sun.

Helpful would be to state what NFZ location you believe will restrict you.
According to a map I came across online, and haven't been able to locate again, I'm just outside the 5 mile radius of the Salinas, CA airport (KSNS) but am within the 5 mile radius of a hospital heliport.
The drone I've ordered is "refurbished" and I'm completely new to drones, hence my concern about thoroughly checking things prior to attempting to fly.

I think you'll find you are not locked up. Do not try to open the attached Yuneex NFZ list here. Copy it to file and change the name by removing the .txt extension. This site will not accept an Excel doc so the extension has to be modified for one to stick. if you try to open the document without removing the .txt extension is will open as gibberish.

Attachments

• List_of_Large_Airports.xlsx.txt
    95 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Most hospital heliports have infrequent air traffic. You will hear when one is in the area so you can give right of way to the manned air traffic. Most numbers listed for hospital heliports are to some desk person that has no understanding of air traffic rules. Your best bet is to talk with the airport manager or someone in ATC at the nearby airport about the approach and departure paths used at the heliport, as they likely are the ones in contact with the chopper pilots. Those paths like change with the wind direction so get that info as well. A friendly conversation goes a long way.

Reactions: stan55
Buy a very large house or go to church and fly in the sanctuary;)
I almost did that last Wednesday after noon Bible study as I'm dying to try out my VTOL xs 520s at least in hover mode to check out its stability with no wind. Still thinking about it. The pastor is my best friend and would probably be into it.

I'm just outside the 5 mile radius of the Salinas, CA airport (KSNS) but am within the 5 mile radius of a hospital heliport.
No way ! your in Salinas CA ?

My point was the Yuneec NFZ software will likely not be applicable to the location. How you deal with regulations that may apply to your location is a personal matter.

No way ! your in Salinas CA ?
Yep! Just waiting to get on Live PD! It seems that when I registered on this site I missed where to put in some personal data.
I see your Monterey. Where do you fly? As soon as I get things checked out it looks as though Manzanita Park in Prunedale would be a good place to practice without needlessly endangering anyone. I see you.re a certified drone pilot. What are the advantages?
Jim F.

Reactions: Mr. I
Yep! Just waiting to get on Live PD! It seems that when I registered on this site I missed where to put in some personal data.
I see your Monterey. Where do you fly? As soon as I get things checked out it looks as though Manzanita Park in Prunedale would be a good place to practice without needlessly endangering anyone. I see you.re a certified drone pilot. What are the advantages?
Jim F.
Bro ! I'm in Greenfield. I just don't like putting out my exact location. I fly out in front of my house. I've got this area covered ! My drone has been all over this place. I'd like to fly other places but there's airports and airspaces. I'd like to meet up with you and maybe we could fly together sometime. PM if you want.;)

Hello Salinas! Waving at ya from San Jose.
Come joins us sometime. Got off your high horse (San Jose) and come down and play with us peasants in the Salinas area.;):)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcojanson67