Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What Happens If The SD Card Is Too Big?

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
I recently bought a used Q500 -- my first Yuneec -- off Facebook marketplace. The guy said it was too complicated for him to calibrate and maintain, so it had been sitting for years in the box...

Already love this beast. I have several questions that I appreciate any input on, given that this Q hadn't been flown in a long time (checked through the threads to the best of my ability:

1) Card not recognized message, but the camera connects and displays on the S10. Then I noticed there was a cheap 256 GB SD in camera that Amazon listed for about $4. Is the fact that the card is too big (my understanding is 128GB max) enough to cause the card read error? I'm also pretty sure the card isn't fast enough either or could just be corrupted. The obvious thing is to buy a new card, but wanted to get some feedback about any other possibilities first.

2) How can I quickly tell if the firmware is current? The drone didn't come with the USB programming cord. Should I definitely get one and update firmware and install GUI?

3) Very bad drift in this drone. Could the firmware affect this? I've flown with all original props and replacement ones. Qualifier: haven't had a calm wind day yet. I put her up in some heavy wind the other day and a few times it became unresponsive and just started wildly spinning around for a few seconds. Could that have been from heavy wind (probably in the 20 mph neighborhood). I don't think I have successfully calibrated the compass. Will also check to see if the controllers are sticky.

Thanks for any suggestions!

1) 256GB will not work. I do not exactly know where the border is for the size. I believe you are right with 128GB. But I will never understand why people want to use that oversized SD cards. If it defect or lost, all is gone. I prefer smaller card up to 32GB (which is enough for 4-5 batteries). For longer sessions take more than one SD card. Paranoid one use extra SD card for each flight.

2) Latest firmware is from 2016. Hard to believe that there are Q500 out with older FW. In case of problems it's good to have GUI for diagnostics but then you need this USB-serial converter. I have not tested it but I think a cheap converter with FTDI FT230 chip will also work if wiring is OK. I would try to get one...

3) Hard to say what cause this. Mis-calibrated compass may be the reason. Compass calibration is a good idea in this case. Please check if you have a SD card in the ST10 (located below the battery). If you connect the ST10 to PC via USB and you see the filesystem you have one. And yes, an old 4GB is more than enough ;-). There, on the SD card is a folder FlightLogs. If you don't have access to GUI then the Flight Logs are essential for dignostics.

In strong winds, the Q500 tends to rotate around the vertical axis. Apparently, the wind load presses on the camera, which is mounted on the front away from vertical axis.

How to Download and what to do with Flight logs is described here:

br HE

Reactions: dronefisher
Thanks for the great info, H. Tried an old 8MB SD and camera worked fine. Ordered a few high-speed 32GB off Amazon. Is this the converter you're talking about?

1621543003322.png

There is an SD in the ST. My guess is the firmware was never updated. They guy I bought it from bought it new. All 8 original props were still there and no signs of crashes. But the calibration and updating was way too complicated for him, he said. He's gone through four DJI's while the Q sat in his garage for years. I'll try the flight logs as you suggest and calibration. The manual says the Q will restart after a successful compass calibration. Apparently I haven't been successful yet. :) Planning to try again in an open area as soon as the wind dies down here.

The thing that really blows my mind is how quiet the Q is. I walked right into the spinning props my first time out because I didn't hear them. Good thing I was wearing pants...

SD card shoud be Class 10/UHD 3 (a small 3 in a U). 32 GB is my first choice. And yes, the USB-serial converter is this YUNA100. Only 3 wires: GND, Tx and Rx.
If the ST10 is a ST10+ and the firmware is st10+v01b30c (ST10 shows its FW version) then you have a good chance that the drone has also the latest FW. You can check the EXIF data from stills made by the CGO3. There you can find the FW version of the camera.
By the way, what camera do you have? Is it a CGO3 or older?

Good luck and have fun with your Q500. It is still one of the most reliable drones. I love mine...

I have aST16 too which has the possibility to change channel settings. With special channelsettings I got from a friend it is possible to enable Stability mode for the Q500. This makes it a lot faster than in Angle Mode and that thing is a beast then.

br HE

I do have the CG03 and S10+. Popped in a 32MB high-speed Sandisk and all is well with the camera. I just haven't flown with it yet, per the advice of someone on this forum. Good thing too because she drifted and barely clipped a light pole during my first flight. Fell about 15 ft and broke three props, but no other damage. The drift problem I inquired about was why it drifted. No worse after the fall. I hear they can really fly in no GPS mode. Should be fun when I'm a bit more in control. BTW, your website is an amazing resource!

Someone has an address for netac on here which I have lost twice. They are cheaper and they work. Not sure if they are on line. You can ask on the forum and some kind soul will gjve
you the info.

Someone has an address for netac on here which I have lost twice. They are cheaper and they work. Not sure if they are on line. You can ask on the forum and some kind soul will gjve
you the info.
you the info.
Thanks, Peter. Found something on Amazon and hoping to try a flight today with camera. We haven't had winds below 20 mph in a week!

Just make sure it has the u with a 3 inside the u. I got a few with 1 inside.
not the right one.

Just make sure it has the u with a 3 inside the u. I got a few with 1 inside.
not the right one.
SD card shoud be Class 10/UHD 3 (a small 3 in a U). 32 GB is my first choice. And yes, the USB-serial converter is this YUNA100. Only 3 wires: GND, Tx and Rx.
If the ST10 is a ST10+ and the firmware is st10+v01b30c (ST10 shows its FW version) then you have a good chance that the drone has also the latest FW. You can check the EXIF data from stills made by the CGO3. There you can find the FW version of the camera.
By the way, what camera do you have? Is it a CGO3 or older?

Good luck and have fun with your Q500. It is still one of the most reliable drones. I love mine...

I have aST16 too which has the possibility to change channel settings. With special channelsettings I got from a friend it is possible to enable Stability mode for the Q500. This makes it a lot faster than in Angle Mode and that thing is a beast then.

br HE
H -- I actually hired the guy who sold me this to fix our roof and he came by today. He told me he never updated any firmware and hadn't calibrated it in a while before it sat unused for a few years. Claims it hovered perfectly in place after it was calibrated by his friend. We'll see after I get this thing calibrated!

we will be looking forward to hopefully seeing videos of the heart land of Canada. bon chance.

H -- I actually hired the guy who sold me this to fix our roof and he came by today. He told me he never updated any firmware and hadn't calibrated it in a while before it sat unused for a few years. Claims it hovered perfectly in place after it was calibrated by his friend. We'll see after I get this thing calibrated!
My controller says build number st10+v01b31c and hardware version P1.4
Haven't updated anything yet. Is that current?

That is the most current.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz