Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What to do when your TYPHOON H suddenly FLYS AWAY!!!

Captian, you mentioned you updated your firmware, however you did not mention if you re-calibrated the compass or GPS.

I also updated my firmware and upon attempting to calibrate my compass, my H failed to return to a blinking green light, it stayed solid white. It took at total of 7 different calibration attempts in several locations before my H finally accepted a clean calibration and gave me a green light, however the ST16 indicated ready each and every time prior to my successful calibration. Now I never had a flyaway, but then again it may have been due to the fact that I had contacted yuneec prior to flying my H immediately after I did the firmware update, due to an issue with my camera and a startup issue with the propellers, I was advised by tech support at Yuneec to make sure to calibrate my compass PRIOR to attempting to fly my H and that tech stated there was a known issue that yuneec was working to resolve regarding the firmware update and fly aways dye to some drones not holding on to their previous compass calibration! As for loss of joy stick control, you got me on that one but After reading your post and watching your video I figured it would be best to atleast let people know that I was told about the compass calibration issue being a known problem directly from a Yuneec tech!

I hope that this post helps save a drones life! Lol

Reactions: Gregbebs
No cuddle cakes I did not. :)

Have a look at the vid, I mention that this was battery #4 and I had just flown 3 batteries in three different locations (each location without a compass calibration) and all was perfect.

Oddly, the last compass calibration was done a week prior exactly 5km south of where the Typhoon went bezerk.
I asked you that because I make à compass calibration every time that I change of place...

New to this forum and fairly new flyer, so please be patient as I have questions for this group of experts. We received a replacement H for which we are very grateful, but during the first flight with my more experienced son at the controls, the H started acting erratic. It dipped and jerked uncontrollably without reason. While trying to land it unsuccessfully, I took the controler and raised to a height where my son could go underneath it and get hold of the landing gear. Finally ending the flight by unplugging the battery. We were told the first step was to calibrate the accelerometer and compass, then give it another go. Since then, an email notice of new firmware showed up in my inbox. The H sat in the box until this weekend when I had time and I updated the firmware. because we thought it may have been part of the problem. The updates went well with one exception, the AutoPilot is not the same as shown of the website? I updated it again, with the same results. I calibrated the accelerometer and tried to do the same with the campus to many times to keep count. I'll go to a local field tomorrow and try again. "IF" and that's probably a big IF, I get the cal to take, do you have suggestions on what flight mode to try first. Since I've heard updating with this firmware may have been a big mistake, I'm leary about flying the H until the issued have been resolved. Thanks in advance for any and all help and suggestions.

PS, We also have a Quad 500 4K too, which may be our go to until fly-a-ways and wonky flights are history, because like most of you, we can't afford another crash

I was always taught that in case of flyaways the first thing to do is disable the GPS, you are then left in attitude mode and should be able to fly it back.
That is how I saved mine. The landing sucked but only broke a couple of props. Could have been much worse it was headed for Galveston Bay :)

UPDATE: I still have not received a response from Yuneec regarding my Flight Logs I submitted for their review concerning my fly away issue (subject of this thread). I've poke'd them once but nothing. Still waiting.... tick, tock, tick, tick, tock.

I finally had a chance to take the Typhoon out this evening for a flight. Did a quick compass calibration and flew two batteries before it became too dark. It was freak'n cold out... 2 Celsius (35 Fahrenheit). All worked fine, no issues to report. The fly-away is still a mystery.

20161026_172717.jpg

I think I may have figured out your flyaway. I assume you weren't using the amazing "sonar" OA but is it possible that the sonar remains on even when not in use much like gps? I can see the wheels turning in your mind right now, you're thinking why yes that's possible but how does this relate to my flyaway? The answer is simple, you had a nuclear submarine in the water near you and the H was merely trying to avoid the subs powerful sonar! I didn't see any bats, toothed whales or dolphin in you video so it must be a submerged Sub. No need for all this magnetic flight-log mumbo jumbo just inform yuneek a sub caused your flyaway.

I think I may have figured out your flyaway. I assume you weren't using the amazing "sonar" OA but is it possible that the sonar remains on even when not in use much like gps? I can see the wheels turning in your mind right now, you're thinking why yes that's possible but how does this relate to my flyaway? The answer is simple, you had a nuclear submarine in the water near you and the H was merely trying to avoid the subs powerful sonar! I didn't see any bats, toothed whales or dolphin in you video so it must be a submerged Sub. No need for all this magnetic flight-log mumbo jumbo just inform yuneek a sub caused your flyaway.

Slowly step away from your Grandfathers pain medication and don't make any sudden moves until help arrives. :)

Well you're Nuke Sub theory and the previous Alien abduction theory may become plausible since I still can't 100% figure out what went wrong and Yuneec is not saying much.

Reactions: Markinter
Hey I am a grandfather and my only sudden moves are toward the bathroom:)

Seriously though my h did a sudden veer to the right and wouldn't respond and I hit the landing gear down toggle instead of rth and that strangely enough stopped my fly away. makes no sense. She's flown great ever since but it's always in the back of your mind that it can happen again.
Slowly step away from your Grandfathers pain medication and don't make any sudden moves until help arrives. :)

Well you're Nuke Sub theory and the previous Alien abduction theory may become plausible since I still can't 100% figure out what went wrong and Yuneec is not saying much.

I always go to the hardware tab on my ST16 and check all stick and slider movements are correct. If not perform the 'hidden' calibration setup on the ST16 and check again.
Control function checks are the MOST BASIC pre flight safety check there is people....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss