Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What's it called?

Reaction score
Under the top shell of the H 480 is that sticky thing that covers the GPS.
It looks like in the center of it under that black stuff and they have a layer of copper.
Does anyone know what its purpose is and why the copper?
Keith Kuhn

The copper shields the GPS and magnetometer from electromagnetic interference from the electronics below it. The GPS would work considerably better if Yuneec had mounted it on a tower like the H920.

Just ask @John Hennessy That is why he designed his tower.

The placement of the GPS and Compass on the most drones is not a good choice from a technical perspective. But since the most customers pay great attention on the optic they do not have a real choice. Therefore they need shielding like @DoomMeister explained. The best way to place the GPS is on a mast like DJI did it on the Matrice M600. But that is only possible on highend commercial drones. Consumer drones would not sell with a GPS mast.

The copper shields the GPS and magnetometer from electromagnetic interference from the electronics below it. The GPS would work considerably better if Yuneec had mounted it on a tower like the H920.

Thanks Doom
I must tell you. When I was taking my drone apart I removed that Shield or whatever you want to call it. Then put it away for a couple days but I believe I made a mistake by laying some
tin foil over it sticky part.
Needless to say some of the tinfoil I could not remove because it was so stuck on there.
So I took black duct tape and put it over the tinfoil.
Then I started thinking maybe that foil , Even though duct tape is over may affect Electronics somehow or another.

I wanted to use wax paper to protect the sticky part but I didn't have any that's why I put tin foil on there. What a dummy I am
LOL
What are your thoughts on the duct tape over the tin foil to try to mask the tinfoil.
Mad Kuhn

With the heat generated inside the aircraft, duct tape is going to be a sticky mess in a short time. I would check with @Yuneec Skins to see if he may have a source for the whole shield material. Beyond that is getting the upper shell with tthe GPS already mounted.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
With the heat generated inside the aircraft, duct tape is going to be a sticky mess in a short time. I would check with @Yuneec Skins to see if he may have a source for the whole shield material. Beyond that is getting the upper shell with tthe GPS already mounted.

I have a brand new Shield I'm going to install in it.
Thanks for the advice.
I was kind of wondering if you thought that aluminum will be affected in some way as far as the electronics go.
Thanks Keith Kuhn

The tape you are looking for is called "EMI shielding tape". I think aluminium tape is likely to work as well. Maybe it still helps although you already found it.

You can get a GPS tower relocation type for $7.00 that puts it on top of the shell/ cover from ebay... I put one on one of my pluses and seen an improvement all around over the other plus ? I'm still checking everything out is why I havn't done the other plus, or my H yet, best part is no mods to the back pack, or need to remove anything when transporting. At $7 I bought a few of 'em

Keith, lookup 3M Kapton tape, it's a high-temperature Polyimide and Aluminum Insulation Tape for Electronics. That's the translucent amber/yellow tape you see stuck over electronics.

You can get a GPS tower relocation type for $7.00 that puts it on top of the shell/ cover from ebay... I put one on one of my pluses and seen an improvement all around over the other plus ? I'm still checking everything out is why I havn't done the other plus, or my H yet, best part is no mods to the back pack, or need to remove anything when transporting. At $7 I bought a few of 'em
Yep, places the module on top of the shell, such a slight modification with drilling a teeny tiny hole in the top shell to get the wire back to the mobo. Brilliantly simple with a better GPS signal afterwards.

Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Tower Adapter Acquire Satellites Fast No More Compass Error

eBay item number:

$7.00 + $3.95 shipping

Reactions: johnnyb57
I have a brand new Shield I'm going to install in it.
Thanks for the advice.
I was kind of wondering if you thought that aluminum will be affected in some way as far as the electronics go.
Thanks Keith Kuhn
Aluminum is fine as long as it is insulated from the electronics.

Keith, lookup 3M Kapton tape, it's a high-temperature Polyimide and Aluminum Insulation Tape for Electronics. That's the translucent amber/yellow tape you see stuck over electronics.

Ok I will definitely check it out.
Keith

I was checking out the tape and I also looked it up on eBay and several different prices.

I did notice when I was taking off The Shield a little bit of a yellow Amber tape started to peel back but I caught it before it was too late.
It was a very small bit of the tape in the one corner.
Now I'm just a little bit worried but not that much.
Keith Kuhn

It also acts as a ground plane for the GPS system.

W

What is a ground plane ?
Do a Google search on antenna systems and the use of a ground plane in them. It helps with the radiation pattern when transmitting and boosts reception when in receiver mode (like our GPS units).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval