Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What's the point of the Wizard if it doesn't work for video???

Reaction score
Granted I've only been a drone owner for 4 days now, and am probably missing something but

The wizard is nearly worthless if you can use it for video, the android phone app doesn't work with android phones, and you have to buy an Apple device to be able to video with the wizard ? ? ?

What's the point of the wizard ???

Kinda pissed off about this, it's the main reason I bought the H over a DJI. They CONVENIENTLY leave out that fact in all their promo videos!

What am I missing ?
Can I start/stop video with the 16? Going to add a ton of worthless video to edit out.

Suggestions ? ?

Granted I've only been a drone owner for 4 days now, and am probably missing something but

The wizard is nearly worthless if you can use it for video, the android phone app doesn't work with android phones, and you have to buy an Apple device to be able to video with the wizard ? ? ?

Kinda pissed off about this, it's the main reason I bought the H over a DJI. They CONVENIENTLY leave out that fact in all their promo videos!

What am I missing ?
Can I start/stop video with the 16? Going to add a ton of worthless video to edit out.

Suggestions ? ?
You mean because there isn't a small screen on it?
Here is a video with some tips on how it's used.

What am I missing ?

Suggestions ? ?
You can start and stop the video or take picks with the wizard and my android app links with the cgo3+ with no problems

What exactly are you trying to do that you cant?

The CGO app won't link with any of the 3 samsung galaxy phones we have - 6 active, 7 active, 8 active.

I did get it to link once, the Typhoon Camera app, video lag was about 5 seconds behind, and very poor quality. None of the video functions on the phone worked.
Phone was about 5' from H

Back to the CGO app
Deleted the app and tried again, still won't link.
Network error message. black screen on phone.

The app is likely the issue, not the Wizard itself... Do a google search for CGO3 app APK file ending in 0057. That is the version immediately previous to the current 0062 version. Installing that APK file may solve the issue of not connecting to your Galaxy.

Reactions: Gaunt1969
The app is likely the issue, not the Wizard itself... Do a google search for CGO3 app APK file ending in 0057. That is the version immediately previous to the current 0062 version. Installing that APK file may solve the issue of not connecting to your Galaxy.

Thanks, Yes I'd agree (from what I've read so far) the app is the problem.

Also the wizard is designed to be to primarily be used as (A) a source for the follow me mode, with the H following the wizard or (B) to be pilot control only in team mode... and in that pilot mode you are using the wizard as a controller only without the benefit of a video output... because as the pilot you are watching the H, not a video output on your phone.

If you want a reasonable view yourself, you need to have a second ST-16 to have both in team mode. Because of the significant lag, trying to use the app with your phone to track the H, (rather than looking directly at the aircraft), will inevitably lead to you crashing... and you'll hear it 3 seconds before you see it.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Also the wizard is designed to be to primarily be used as (A) a source for the follow me mode, with the H following the wizard or (B) to be pilot control only in team mode... and in that pilot mode you are using the wizard as a controller only without the benefit of a video output... because as the pilot you are watching the H, not a video output on your phone.

If you want a reasonable view yourself, you need to have a second ST-16 to have both in team mode. Because of the significant lag, trying to use the app with your phone to track the H, (rather than looking directly at the aircraft), will inevitably lead to you crashing... and you'll hear it 3 seconds before you see it.

LOL, so the time delay, with the first link I got to work, was normal.
Just have to do some testing to figure out why it won't connect again.

I'm just a one man band, trying to get some different video footage of my competition shooting.
Me

My son and another teammate, in a shootoff style format, shooting for 1st

Well, I figured out my connection problem.
I have to manually connect each time, phone is set to auto connect, - which it did the first time.
But for some reason now it won't, I still get a "failure to connect" error message when i connect, but it works. Not sure what that's about.
I also set the quality and fps to the slowest setting which cut the lag time down to near nothing. Have to try it with some actual air time now.

Well, I figured out my connection problem.
I have to manually connect each time, phone is set to auto connect, - which it did the first time.
But for some reason now it won't, I still get a "failure to connect" error message when i connect, but it works. Not sure what that's about.
I also set the quality and fps to the slowest setting which cut the lag time down to near nothing. Have to try it with some actual air time now.
Good deal, you may also have a lot of RF pollution in your area. I personally have the latest version of the CGO3 App on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and have never had any issues with it or significant lag. I know though when using the app, the display is more for framing your shot. Lag can come to play but for the video being recorded to the SD card in the camera, there is no lag.

I tried it out last night - just running around in the field, it sticks to you like glue. I think it's going to do just what I wanted.
I understand the phone app reasons but I wish I could eliminate that step. just one more thing to carry and fiddle with.
Hope to video my first match on Sat.

Hey, one other thing, assuming you want audio. Use a separate audio recorder and sync up the audio and video in post. The CGO3+ has a lot of fan noise which can be heard in the audio. It's been talked about before here. The camera isn't good for recording audio.

Some have said it isn't too bad but test it first.

Reactions: Wakeborder2
also there is an altitude hold feature which is a bit confusing...test it out before you use it. I'm not sure I completely understand it myself....I had the H hit the ground following me on my dirtbike...js...

also there is an altitude hold feature which is a bit confusing...test it out before you use it. I'm not sure I completely understand it myself....I had the H hit the ground following me on my dirtbike...js...

I noticed that it seemed to stay at the original height as I ran up a slight incline, where do I find how to set that?

NVM , I found it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wakeborder2
I have not used the wizard, so if there is little lag with using the CGO3 app, that will obviously simplify your shooting considerably. When using the CGO3 app with the Steady Grip or Action Grip (which also has your phone/tablet in that configuration, inches away from the camera) a good 2-4 second lag in what is happening in front of you live, as opposed to what appears onscreen.

Hate to bring it up, but are you going to ask all participants in the competition to sign a waiver? And perhaps the organizers as well... the potential liability could be significant.

I have not used the wizard, so if there is little lag with using the CGO3 app, that will obviously simplify your shooting considerably. When using the CGO3 app with the Steady Grip or Action Grip (which also has your phone/tablet in that configuration, inches away from the camera) a good 2-4 second lag in what is happening in front of you live, as opposed to what appears onscreen.

Hate to bring it up, but are you going to ask all participants in the competition to sign a waiver? And perhaps the organizers as well... the potential liability could be significant.

I am the organizer, well at the 14-20 events at my range, most other ranges are OK with drones.
Competitive shooters are not the lawsuit kinda people. We play with potentially deadly equipment for fun. Everybody does sign a waiver, usually 2, 1 when you register, 1 when you arrive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mining_drones