Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

When is it to cold to fly

Mirrors my experience... coldest I've flown in was in the 20s in January... Shorter flight time, with that immediate voltage drop, but then normal flight duration from that lower voltage level. Between temperature and still being about 5500 feet ASL at the time gave me about 6-7 minutes...

As far as snow... if a very light snow in January, with that dry fluff, I might risk maybe 30 seconds... but if you're talking the heavy wet snow of March... the aircraft is not water resistant at all.

When you step outside and say to yourself I’d rather go back inside and watch a movie, or anything less than 40 deg F.

I used to love winter - ice fishing, skiing, skating, hockey, etc. Then I got put on a job wiring a turnstile entrance to a manufacturing facility that used employee badges for entrance and exit. It had been ready for that since Fall when temps were in the 40 and 50 deg F range. So in early January when the temps were in the -10 to +10 deg F range the job had to be completed. It couldn’t wait 3 more months for warmer temps again. That ended my love of Winter and temps below 40 deg F.

Most importantly, the H series (and most UAVs, I presume) are NOT water resistant, unless specifically built as such (or modified.)

As for flying in snow, yes... I have done so without issue. Visibility was fine at take-off. Light snow started during flight. Landed soon after as visibility lessened.

No issues with the aircraft were observed. That was for me. Your mileage may vary.

The issue I did have was keeping the snow off the ST16.

Jeff
Real nice, I’m waiting for the snow so I can get some videos while it’s snowing.

When is to cold to fly? Here in Central Florida it's to cold when I have to put my windbreaker on.

I use to live in Grove City Pa. Burrrrrrr, Now I'm happily spoiled by the cold weather of only 30 and 40's from time to time.
It might happen in the next few days.:eek:

Reactions: Jhen19
I’ve flown the H in falling snow a few times. Not heavy falls, and always in lower temps, 12F to 25F, that assured a dry fall instead of a wet one like we see at 28F and above. Flight times were always shorter, the gimbal would become a little “notchy” in pan, while fingers and feet took a beating. Did similar with a Chroma. They always worked but you have to be aware of how the battery works and accept their limitations. Avoid water even if you’ve used water repellant coatings. Those are good for saving the day during unexpected water encounters, but not for assuring electrical safety in any level of prolonged wet operations. We don’t fly submarines.

Last edited:
I’ve flown the H in falling snow a few times. Not heavy falls, and always in lower temps, 12F -25F, that assured a dry fall instead of a wet one like we see at 28F and above. Flight times were always shorter, the gimbal would become a little “notchy” in pan, while fingers and feet took a beating. Did similar with a Chroma. They always worked but you have to be aware of how the battery works and accept their limitations. Avoid water even if you’ve used water repellant coatings. Those are good for saving the day during unexpected water encounters, but not for assuring electrical safety in any level of prolonged wet operations. We don’t fly submarines.
lol good one. Here in Utah we get wet snow so I will be waiting for the fluffy stuff.

The outside temperature varies, therefore a providing a specific number might not be accurate. For the passengers that are interested, many inflight entertainment systems provide the outside temperature. Some pilots will announce the temperature at the cruise altitude. Bluestacks TextNow VPN

Last edited:
Hey all,,Its getting a bit cool in S.E MICH,,,
I don't mind the colder temps but not sure if my TYPHOON H+ will like it..
I worry about the st-16 and the camera in the colder air,,,is the upper 30s a problem,,? do you fly in the winter months?

it is too cold to fly when you can't feel the sticks any longer LOL. I have flown at 7 degrees F BUT only until my feet froze.

it is too cold to fly when you can't feel the sticks any longer LOL. I have flown at 7 degrees F BUT only until my feet froze.

I was just out. Cloudy and gray, but not snowing or raining. Planned on two batteries with my H480 and maybe one for my H520.

Underestimated the wind chill as my throttle hand was starting to burn as I landed the first flight. Enough for today.

Now come the next few days, it may be colder but less wind. Those are the nice days!

Jeff

P.S. did I mention those snowmobile jackets are more than for riding?

[emoji23]

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
Hey all,,Its getting a bit cool in S.E MICH,,,
I don't mind the colder temps but not sure if my TYPHOON H+ will like it..
I worry about the st-16 and the camera in the colder air,,,is the upper 30s a problem,,? do you fly in the winter months?
Flew my Q500 4K today at 5 degrees Farenheit with 10mph winds. Had no problems except little shorter flight time

If the airplane can be kept in a hangar prior to flight, it can operate in very, very cold conditions. Airplanes fly in minus 56 celsius (-69 degrees Fahrenheit) or colder conditions at altitude, therefore if the fluids can be kept warm, the airplane can usually operate. shareit vidmate app

Last edited:
If the airplane can be kept in a hangar prior to flight, it can operate in very, very cold conditions. Airplanes fly in minus 56 celsius (-69 degrees Fahrenheit) or colder conditions at altitude, therefore if the fluids can be kept warm, the airplane can usually operate.
The problem here is not with frozen liquids, but with reduced battery longevity in extreme cold and the controller functions using a tablet with an LED touchscreen that will cease to function in those types of temps.

I live in Minnesota, and that depends on the Drone. I was out on the lake ice in Jan., it was about 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
I have 5 diff. Drones and the one I use everytime on those conditions is my Parrot Bebop 2 and a cheat. I wrap a hand warmer along the Battery which keeps it at 80 degrees.
I tried with the H, but almost immediately I was getting IMU errors, because it was too cold and it was 38 degrees that day. I believe DJI has a heater for Batteries. In the inspire0

The lowest temperature I have flown my H was -1c again you don't get long from the battery if you don't keep your batteries warm before flying I use a wee cool bag with a hot water bottle in it to keep the batteries warm

Reactions: Pier2162

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz