Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Who uses a drone simulator?

Reaction score
Anyone out there got any thoughts on using the " yunsim" simulator on computers?
I use a Mac, but would be able to get hold of PC if it's worthwhile.
I assume the new ST16 would be compatible with any software. Was there also some talk of a new sim specifically for the "H".

I know it is confirmed by Yuneec that the ST16 works with yunsim but as a Mac user myself I have no simulators of any kind as that appears to be too difficult for the developers. Strange as you would think in a limited market like our hobby you would want to expand the people you can reach and let's face it. Windows is not the almighty platform it used to be. Ducking now as I am sure to upset a few :)

I found the UAV-Pilot Flight Simulator with the ST10+ a brilliant way to "acclimatize" to the Q500 4K.

Much too chicken to get out there with such an expensive bird without the groundwork it provided.

I found the UAV-Pilot Flight Simulator with the ST10+ a brilliant way to "acclimatize" to the Q500 4K.

Much too chicken to get out there with such an expensive bird without the groundwork it provided.

Never flown a drone, a toy or otherwise,but don't want to fly a
Q when I bought an H!

I should qualify my post by saying it is not specific to the H but all Yuneec controllers. I am in the UK and bought it here for £20
Yuneec UK YUNSIM - Yuneec UAV Pilot Flight Sim
Yes, thank you but I can buy that here. I guess the software will determine the TX and drone you are actually flying, simulating with the ST10, 12, 16, or 24. I am relatively new to the whole drone scene just a mere videographer interested in the video aspect. Just received my H this last Monday and need to learn to fly it with a simulator first.

John that would be a good idea. Get those thumbs educated. Fly safe

Actually what I bought the H for is to be one of many cameras
video recording my oldest daughters wedding, October 1st
out side on a farm. Since I am the father of the bride, I have
the obligation to walk her down the isle. So I will have an
experienced drone operator, operate and video with the H. He is
not familiar with Yuneec camera drones, so the simulator is
for him also.

Last edited:
After a bit of difficulty I got the sim working, quite useful for geting a feel of it if you are new to drones. A shame the camera does not give a simulated fpv view on the ST16 but you can't have everything i guess. Anyway, I found this useful to help bind the ST16 to the dongle

Reactions: GunnyE9
Never flown a drone, a toy or otherwise,but don't want to fly a
Q when I bought an H!
I too was a bit disappointed it wasn't the H on screen, but I think you're missing the point here John, it doesn't matter what the image is, it's the time spent practising manoeuvring the craft around. The handling characteristics are basically the same. You forget after a while what it looks like... Could just as easily be a cube with an arrow on it!
By the way, I still use my satnav even though the image of the vehicle on screen isn't the same as my car!

You apparently fly the Typhoon Q. You do not mention what you fly. My understanding the software
shows the St10 only flying the Q even if you have the ST12, ST16. or the ST24 Tramsmitter. If that is true, I would not be satisfied seeing the Q being flown by the ST16 or ST24 Transmitter. Am I right or wrong?
I fly (or at least will fly as I have only just recieved it) the Typhoon H I thought that was apparent as I did mention the ST16 which afaik only comes with the H?
To see the H on the screen would be nice but does it really matter it is only a sprite on the screen after all, they will probably get round to an update eventually.

I too was a bit disappointed it wasn't the H on screen, but I think you're missing the point here John, it doesn't matter what the image is, it's the time spent practising manoeuvring the craft around. The handling characteristics are basically the same. You forget after a while what it looks like... Could just as easily be a cube with an arrow on it!
By the way, I still use my satnav even though the image of the vehicle on screen isn't the same as my car!
So you are saying it simulates the basics of all the Typhoon Drones, not able to practice in all modes available in the later models? I guess you can't expect much from a small price. When I think of a simulator it should cover all functions available in actual flying. Still getting one, just disappointed!

So you are saying it simulates the basics of all the Typhoon Drones, not able to practice in all modes available in the later models? I guess you can't expect much from a small price. When I think of a simulator it should cover all functions available in actual flying. Still getting one, just disappointed..
It is quite limited on functions, yes a little dissapointing. You can fly by sight only and in angle mode or safe mode. RHM works. You cannot use CCC or POI or Orbit or Follw/Watch or anything like that. It has its uses for me as I have never flown a drone, if you have experience I would not bother to be honest.

It is quite limited on functions, yes a little dissapointing. You can fly by sight only and in angle mode or safe mode. RHM works. You cannot use CCC or POI or Orbit or Follw/Watch or anything like that. It has its uses for me as I have never flown a drone, if you have experience I would not bother to be honest.
Well I too have no experience flying drones, toy or otherwise. I was told that I should fly the lesser toy drones to get the experience needed, but I didn't, I bought the H instead. So I too need the simulator
to learn to fly . I bought my H at Best Buy. I really don't know when I will actually fly my drone for the first time? Hopefully soon!

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Well I too have no experience flying drones, toy or otherwise. I was told that I should fly the lesser toy drones to get the experience needed, but I didn't, I bought the H instead. So I too need the simulator
to learn to fly . I bought my H at Best Buy. I really don't know when I will actually fly my drone for the first time? Hopefully soon!
Well I was fairly bored of the sim after about 10 mins but I suppose it did give me a basic feel.
I flew it this afternoon and no problems at all with flying it. I had a piece of plywood about 4' square which I used to take off from. I got through three fully charged batteries and landed many times back on the ply without issue. I have no previous drone or r/c experience.
I used angle mode for take off and flying around occasionally using smart mode. I used RHM to bring her back and then switched to angle to land. I tried CCC which worked fine once I had figured out how to pan ./ tilt the camera. I tried one distance flight out to 1700 feet.
I found the H easy to fly though it takes a little while to get used to orientation when flying in to land in angle mode but in turtle mode. It was not hard to land on the ply each time as long as you take it easy and before touching down.
My one regret was I wish I realised about new battery care before running each one down to the warning. Hopefully though one time wont affect it too much.

Well I was fairly bored of the sim after about 10 mins but I suppose it did give me a basic feel.
I flew it this afternoon and no problems at all with flying it. I had a piece of plywood about 4' square which I used to take off from. I got through three fully charged batteries and landed many times back on the ply without issue. I have no previous drone or r/c experience.
I used angle mode for take off and flying around occasionally using smart mode. I used RHM to bring her back and then switched to angle to land. I tried CCC which worked fine once I had figured out how to pan ./ tilt the camera. I tried one distance flight out to 1700 feet.
I found the H easy to fly though it takes a little while to get used to orientation when flying in to land in angle mode but in turtle mode. It was not hard to land on the ply each time as long as you take it easy and before touching down.
My one regret was I wish I realised about new battery care before running each one down to the warning. Hopefully though one time wont affect it too much.
It sounds like you had a successful, uneventful first, second, third, flight with you H. Congradulations!

Last edited:
I used the simulator before venturing out with the real thing.

Mind you I had already tried a cheap one, which didn't take long to discover that a local tree had a magnetic attraction to it sigh.

The challenges in the sim where ummm interesting.

A new simulator called Zephyr came out recently. It seems awesome so far, they have a bunch of training challenges and a screen pops up after each challenge that shows you where you can improve. It looks like it was primarily made to teach new pilots how to fly, but it could also be a good tool for experienced pilots to stay fresh on the sticks. They have a lot more info on their website: Zephyr Drone Simulator

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval