Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why don't my Typhoon motors arm?

Reaction score
I have No-Fly Zone enabled (allowing me to fly in the No-Fly Zones). I tested it and it flew just fine. Then I moved it about 1,000 ft or so and tried to fly it again, yet the motors would not arm even though I had 8 or more satellites. Any ideas or suggestions?

The new location was in a gorge but very open to the sky, and I did have enough satellites.

Did u test the motors without props..?!? Anyway 8 satellites are not enough ...!min 12/13 for the machine and8/9 for GCS

Unless your Typhoon H is connected to your computer via the GUI, do NOT startup the motors without props... bad idea.

I have No-Fly Zone enabled (allowing me to fly in the No-Fly Zones). I tested it and it flew just fine. Then I moved it about 1,000 ft or so and tried to fly it again, yet the motors would not arm even though I had 8 or more satellites. Any ideas or suggestions?

The new location was in a gorge but very open to the sky, and I did have enough satellites.
8 satellites ain't enough, and the gorge would have created a GPS mask even if it was open to the sky (which is the reason you weren't seeing enough satellites).

Taking off near to any hills or structures (or in a gorge) will always give a GPS mask. The amount of mask largely depending on how high those hills or structures are, or how close they are. The satellites that your aircraft is searching for can be, and often are, close to the horizon...or at any rate not that high in the sky.

Example: A few weeks ago I was doing a commercial job taking some images to do with a boundary dispute which involved me needing to take off quite close to a structure (I had permission). I knew that it was highly likely that the GPS mask would have been too great for the H so I took my back-up P2V+ to do the job knowing that the P2V+ relies on considerably less satellites seen (a P2V+ will operate under GPS assistance on just six satellites seen, and will fly ATTI when there are less than six satellites).

@FlushVision I'm just wondering if you could have used the IPS to do your shoot, since you don't need GPS to fly?

@FlushVision I'm just wondering if you could have used the IPS to do your shoot, since you don't need GPS to fly?
I don't have IPS on my H. My H is the original standard version and since I can only identify very few instances that I would need IPS it was/is not cost effective to install a module.

Reactions: Texas_Willie
8 satellites ain't enough, and the gorge would have created a GPS mask even if it was open to the sky (which is the reason you weren't seeing enough satellites).

Taking off near to any hills or structures (or in a gorge) will always give a GPS mask. The amount of mask largely depending on how high those hills or structures are, or how close they are. The satellites that your aircraft is searching for can be, and often are, close to the horizon...or at any rate not that high in the sky.

Example: A few weeks ago I was doing a commercial job taking some images to do with a boundary dispute which involved me needing to take off quite close to a structure (I had permission). I knew that it was highly likely that the GPS mask would have been too great for the H so I took my back-up P2V+ to do the job knowing that the P2V+ relies on considerably less satellites seen (a P2V+ will operate under GPS assistance on just six satellites seen, and will fly ATTI when there are less than six satellites).

Thank you for the great reply. It makes a lot of sense. I WAS under the impression that the H would fly with just 6 satellites.

This IS a real bummer as I wanted to get some great aerial video of a waterfall in that gorge. Was tempted to fly FPV from outside the gorge, where I first tested the flight and felt confidence that it would fly. But did not want to lose line of sight.

Anyway, it seems the mystery is solved. Thanks again.

Did u test the motors without props..?!? Anyway 8 satellites are not enough ...!min 12/13 for the machine and8/9 for GCS

The test was the flight outside the gorge that I mentioned. That's why I thought I was good to go, being only about 1000 ft away, but as FlushVision pointed out, the proximity of the gorge walls was the problem.

The test was the flight outside the gorge that I mentioned. That's why I thought I was good to go, being only about 1000 ft away, but as FlushVision pointed out, the proximity of the gorge walls was the problem.
You could always switch GPS off and fly manually if you have enough skill and confidence. GPS is there as an assistant to steady flight so that you can better take images in hover without having to also concentrate on flying the beast. But the H does not need GPS to fly and will fly just fine with GPS off...it takes just a bit more pilot skill (skill that all pilots should strive to attain), that's all.

My P2V+ is my go-to aircraft in situations where I'm not likely to have GPS assistance, and I've flown it many a hour without GPS since it automatically entres ATTI mode when it can't see enough satellites.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Can you please tell me more about IPS? Don't know if I have it on mine.
Indoor Positioning System. If your aircraft is a 'Realsence' version it will have it. If it isn't then there is still a possibility it may have it but you will have had to install the module yourself as an add-on. Only you will know this.

Indeed, I'm not sure if you can even get the module as an add-on these days. I know that they were once available but whether they are still available now I have no idea and I'm too lazy to find outo_O

Indoor Positioning System. If your aircraft is a 'Realsence' version it will have it. If it isn't then there is still a possibility it may have it but you will have had to install the module yourself as an add-on. Only you will know this.

Indeed, I'm not sure if you can even get the module as an add-on these days. I know that they were once available but whether they are still available now I have no idea and I'm too lazy to find outo_O
They are available, the one I have on my H was purchased and I installed it about a month or two ago...I am just now getting to know how well it works. Search on Ebay...they run about $400 to $600

You could always switch GPS off and fly manually if you have enough skill and confidence. GPS is there as an assistant to steady flight so that you can better take images in hover without having to also concentrate on flying the beast. But the H does not need GPS to fly and will fly just fine with GPS off...it takes just a bit more pilot skill (skill that all pilots should strive to attain), that's all.

My P2V+ is my go-to aircraft in situations where I'm not likely to have GPS assistance, and I've flown it many a hour without GPS since it automatically entres ATTI mode when it can't see enough satellites.

Thanks for the reply. Bummer, I didn't think to try that. Mostly because I remember turning off the GPS didn't let me arm the motors previously. But, that was in a no-fly zone before I had the upgrade allowing me to override that. Although I wonder how it knew it was in a no-fly zone without the GPS active/on?

Regarding No-GPS flying, how steady is the H, assuming no wind? Does it hold reasonably or will it drift, perhaps due to ESC imbalance? The gorge in question is probably 75 - 100 feet across once I get 10 feet off the ground. But if the H bounces into the sheer walls, I'd most likely lose at least two props.

I am reasonably confident flying in Angle Mode, but that still uses GPS to hold it steady with hands off the sticks, I suppose.

Thanks for the reply. Bummer, I didn't think to try that. Mostly because I remember turning off the GPS didn't let me arm the motors previously. But, that was in a no-fly zone before I had the upgrade allowing me to override that. Although I wonder how it knew it was in a no-fly zone without the GPS active/on?

Regarding No-GPS flying, how steady is the H, assuming no wind? Does it hold reasonably or will it drift, perhaps due to ESC imbalance? The gorge in question is probably 75 - 100 feet across once I get 10 feet off the ground. But if the H bounces into the sheer walls, I'd most likely lose at least two props.

I am reasonably confident flying in Angle Mode, but that still uses GPS to hold it steady with hands off the sticks, I suppose.

Tammo,

If I recall correctly, disabling GPS does not turn off GPS. Think of it as removing the positioning assistance. You’re on your own as far as holding position, but the H still knows where it [the H] is.

GPS will still be able to ascertain the position of the aircraft and thus the No Fly Zone restrictions will still be something to contend with.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Last edited:
Tanning,

If I recall correctly, disabling GPS does not turn off GPS. Think of it as removing the positioning assistance. You’re on your own as far as holding position, but the H still knows where it [the H] is.

GPS will still be able to ascertain the position of the aircraft and thus the No Fly Zone restrictions will still be something to contend with.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Indeed. Switching off the GPS on a H isn't actually switching it off. You are merely telling the aircraft not to use the GPS data to assist in flight...it still actually remains on.

This facility is used when doing the U.K. demonstration flight to get a Remote Pilot's Certificate (needed for a PfCO) when using a H for that test. As part of the test you are expected to turn off GPS to show an ability to control the aircraft without the aid of GPS. But while GPS is off you are then asked to demonstrate a fail-safe RTH by switching the controller off simulating a loss of control signal!!! When you do this the H obliges and returns to hover above the last know position of the controller which proves that the GPS is still working.

IMprtant note: For failsafe RTH to work when GPS is off it is important that the GPS was on at least at the beginning of the flight so that the position of the controller is registered.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Tanning,

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. That certainly would explain the behavior. And, yes, this helps :)

Thank you for the great reply. It makes a lot of sense. I WAS under the impression that the H would fly with just 6 satellites.

This IS a real bummer as I wanted to get some great aerial video of a waterfall in that gorge. Was tempted to fly FPV from outside the gorge, where I first tested the flight and felt confidence that it would fly. But did not want to lose line of sight.

Anyway, it seems the mystery is solved. Thanks again.

The H WILL fly with 6 or less satellites, just not in Smart mode. You can also turn GPS off and handle the flight manually. Just remember that with GPS off it will drift with the wind in hover and it won’t stop as quickly as it does with GPS on. Practice that a little and you may find you like it enough to use it that way often.

I flew a lot around the Columbia River Gorge with lots of fairly narrow ravines and “bowls” caused by surrounding hills. Satellite count was frequently unreliable.

Last edited:
The H WILL fly with 6 or less satellites, just not in Smart mode. You can also turn GPS off and handle the flight manually. Just remember that with GPS off it will drift with the wind in hover and it won’t stop as quickly as it does with GPS on. Practice that a little and you may find you like it enough to use it that way often.

I flew a lot around the Columbia River Gorge with lots of fairly narrow ravines and “bowls” caused by surrounding hills. Satellite count was frequently unreliable.

Where specifically do you fly in the Gorge? I am assuming you fly from the Oregon side of the Columbia River? I live on the Washington side and have been wanting to travel up Hwy 14 and do some flying and filming up there...It is a magnificently beautiful area!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterfantastic