Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Working on the arm clip problem...

Reaction score
Ok I have been working on this Broke Arm Clip issue. I designed an assembly that can hold up any amount of broken arms there are.
Already flight tested with no camera and was a success :). Will test later on with cam on. This is a work in progress, print more pieces as we speak, and will have a similar setup to do essentially the same for the legs. Let me know what you all think, once the design is all printed and test fitted it will be uploaded to Thingverse. For Free, I think you will like it.

Any Questions?

1.jpg20200402_210612.jpg20200402_235738.jpg20200402_202116.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mannythehunter
Certainly looks like it will be functional but that also looks like a lot of work to replace a small metal clip.

• Haha
Reactions: Mechanic
Certainly looks like it will be functional but that also looks like a lot of work to replace a small metal clip.

I agree, But I'm home and had the time. But there is two arms with broke clips on mine. I priced them here and there and thought WTF, So I just bought another H that was wrecked on ebay for my needed parts. but there possibly a week out. So here I am.. Bored AF.. But I do agree 100%. My main goal was to use short term, but more for the community.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Ok I have been working on this Broke Arm Clip issue. I designed an assembly that can hold up any amount of broken arms there are.
Already flight tested with no camera and was a success :). Will test later on with cam on. This is a work in progress, print more pieces as we speak, and will have a similar setup to do essentially the same for the legs. Let me know what you all think, once the design is all printed and test fitted it will be uploaded to Thingverse. For Free, I think you will like it.

Any Questions?

View attachment 21025View attachment 21026View attachment 21027View attachment 21028
What is the total weight in grams? Extra weight will reduce the flight time.

What is the total weight in grams? Extra weight will reduce the flight time.

Good question. But at least I can fly it now.
I'm Finishing a few parts but I planed on weighing it all put together when done.

The pictures are of design one of 3. So now that i know at its current weight it will fly, other designs are similar, but are a lot more refined and lighter. the tubes are hollow, and the rest is done in a minimal amount of infill. So they are dang near hollow as well. Will post weight for you later.

I agree, But I'm home and had the time. But there is two arms with broke clips on mine. I priced them here and there and thought WTF, So I just bought another H that was wrecked on ebay for my needed parts. but there possibly a week out. So here I am.. Bored AF.. But I do agree 100%. My main goal was to use short term, but more for the community.

Ohh and Steve, the work is already done. all you would need to do is print it, and assemble it with a few screws I know most of us have lying around, and then your back in the air.

Let's call it the HEXAPUS now!? Awesome concept!
Would a solid thin spar have the same rigidity as a tube? A spar with holes spaced evenly? Same look as the tube, except flat like a thin plank?

Let's call it the HEXAPUS now!? Awesome concept!
Would a solid thin spar have the same rigidity as a tube? A spar with holes spaced evenly? Same look as the tube, except flat like a thin plank?

LOL... My first design was an "I" beam style with the same holes. but keeping weight to a min, the beam did not have the torsional rigidity the tube had at the same volume of material needed to span the distance.

Put the GPS module in the middle top of you construction and you have an additional benefit.
And you can say that should be so.

I had originally intended that to be on the top as you suggest. maybe if there is more physical need for it, then I will add it to the design. main reason it's not is because I do not have an H disassembled for me to get the measurements needed to do so. or an unused gps module to measure and test fit.

LOL... My first design was an "I" beam style with the same holes. but keeping weight to a min, the beam did not have the torsional rigidity the tube had at the same volume of material needed to span the distance.
What would be the smallest diameter one could get away with? Say 10mm or less?, since you are right the tube would give the greatest rigidity in a situation like this. Hmmm, carbon fiber with a designed clip for the spider & the arms , super glued to the tube??

What would be the smallest diameter one could get away with? Say 10mm or less?, since you are right the tube would give the greatest rigidity in a situation like this. Hmmm, carbon fiber with a designed clip for the spider & the arms , super glued to the tube??
[/QUOTE

The original reason for the round tubes was to use some donor parts (OEM Carbon arms) that would (and they will) fit the clamps. just didn't have any spare arm tubes laying around. but the clamps are sized to fit the carbon arms. Tha'ts the beauty in having 3 3D printers. U can design and print anything you can dream up. But keep the ideas coming everyone!!

Ok, I have a finished design.. give me 24hrs and I will have it available on thingverse.
sorry I do not have a total weight as of yet, can't seem to find my scale

Attachments

• 20200403_222027.jpg
    20200403_222027.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200403_222649.jpg
    20200403_222649.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200403_222703.jpg
    20200403_222703.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: h-elsner
Seems replacing those arms with a single wire attached to a single hub mounted on the back of the bird would remove any/all weight and aerodynamic issues. The balance of tension, or the ability for the hub to handle the tension, would seem to be the trick. Opposite arms providing tension for each other, kind'a like a big tent? Or - the $.49 clips could be sold for $1.00 so you could keep a dozen or so on hand....

The spring clips for the arms (shrapnel) are used on all the H480 (Typhoon H/H Pro) and H520 (Typhoon H520/H Plus/H3) aircraft. It is a planned expendable part of the aircraft and as such should be in very plentiful supply from Yuneec.

The manufacture of this part is not difficult and can be achieved with a small high speed metal stamping press, tumble to remove burrs, wash and nickel plate to guard against corrosion. A 24 hour run would produce enough parts to last at least 5 years for all of these Yuneec models. The scarcity of this part is pretty much inexcusable.

The spring clips for the arms (shrapnel) are used on all the H480 (Typhoon H/H Pro) and H520 (Typhoon H520/H Plus/H3) aircraft. It is a planned expendable part of the aircraft and as such should be in very plentiful supply from Yuneec.

The manufacture of this part is not difficult and can be achieved with a small high speed metal stamping press, tumble to remove burrs, wash and nickel plate to guard against corrosion. A 24 hour run would produce enough parts to last at least 5 years for all of these Yuneec models. The scarcity of this part is pretty much inexcusable.

"The scarcity of this part is pretty much inexcusable"

I just like everyone else, there are times when accidents or #@it happens. To have clips lying around and ready to install another would be great, but I absolutely refuse to pay 2 3 4 5 times their worth just to have spares. i have bought another H that was damaged to get my needed parts. As always the parts are not next door or down the street and does take time to shipp out. With this you can damage all 6 arm clips and still go fly in less than 3 minutes.

"The scarcity of this part is pretty much inexcusable"

I just like everyone else, there are times when accidents or #@it happens. To have clips lying around and ready to install another would be great, but I absolutely refuse to pay 2 3 4 5 times their worth just to have spares. i have bought another H that was damaged to get my needed parts. As always the parts are not next door or down the street and does take time to shipp out. With this you can damage all 6 arm clips and still go fly in less than 3 minutes.
What you did to get parts totally brings my point to bear. A part that is designed to fail to prevent more excessive damage should be plentiful to get. Especially when the cost of manufacturing in quantity would be so minuscule.

Seems replacing those arms with a single wire attached to a single hub mounted on the back of the bird would remove any/all weight and aerodynamic issues. The balance of tension, or the ability for the hub to handle the tension, would seem to be the trick. Opposite arms providing tension for each other, kind'a like a big tent? Or - the $.49 clips could be sold for $1.00 so you could keep a dozen or so on hand....

When it becomes a problem to locate a part the manufacturer knows is a weak point. All to find they are hard to find! ..and or the A$$#@ listing the remaining few they have for 3 to 5 times the amount is someone I wont do business with regardless of how many or bad I need them.
What you did to get parts totally brings my point to bear. A part that is designed to fail to prevent more excessive damage should be plentiful to get. Especially when the cost of manufacturing in quantity would be so minuscule.

Yes Doom, that's the #1 reason I designed this setup. especially for those that don't have the money right away to buy another wrecked bird..... set this on the top of the bird and attach 6 small screws and your back in the air.

The problem is the $4 clips are on back order everywhere. Couple places are selling online for $16 others want $45.. even $100 each!! (Search for yourself) A few people on this forum have been awesome and sold some of their own spares, but until we start seeing a manufacture flow or some other alternative this will continue to be a problem.

The problem is the $4 clips are on back order everywhere. Couple places are selling online for $16 others want $45.. even $100 each!! (Search for yourself) A few people on this forum have been awesome and sold some of their own spares, but until we start seeing a manufacture flow or some other alternative this will continue to be a problem.

Not anymore Manny, few more hrs and I will have it on thingverse for all..... Here you go sir!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis