Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Would you say I have a focus issue?

Reaction score
chrome-hill-001.jpg chrome-hill-001.jpg I have posted another thread where I got an image through strict Quality control for an agency.

However a few shots have had me wondering about the focus on the CGO3+. The camera seems to be biased to a front focus which I have read others complaining about but only really noticing this now.

This image has been downsized slightly but you can still see what I mean. Focus seems to be about 1 third of the way in, but look at the hill or beyond at 100% and it looks pretty bad. The image was at 100ISO and was at a fast shutter speed, not sure exactly because no Exif but was at least 250th if not faster.

chrome-hill-001.jpg

I think you may be expecting too much from these small cameras and the lens being used.
Well I agree, it is only a toy camera compared to a modern DSLR, but other threads have discussed this at length and I am not sure if it is too much to ask for a fixed focus lens to be in focus at infinity?

I watched Bo and Jorge's video on changing the lens, but there is no reason we can't follow the same procedure, just keeping the existing lens and focusing it the way we like. It's on my list of things to do.

I watched Bo and Jorge's video on changing the lens, but there is no reason we can't follow the same procedure, just keeping the existing lens and focusing it the way we like. It's on my list of things to do.
Let me know how it works out for you Allan, Thanks!

View attachment 1406 View attachment 1406 I have posted another thread where I got an image through strict Quality control for an agency.

However a few shots have had me wondering about the focus on the CGO3+. The camera seems to be biased to a front focus which I have read others complaining about but only really noticing this now.

This image has been downsized slightly but you can still see what I mean. Focus seems to be about 1 third of the way in, but look at the hill or beyond at 100% and it looks pretty bad. The image was at 100ISO and was at a fast shutter speed, not sure exactly because no Exif but was at least 250th if not faster.

View attachment 1406
Your upper left side, like mine, has more blur than the rest of the shot. Mine looks worse than yours. Your lower frame is more sharp. However, you're picture is not bad for the main reason that it still remains pleasing to the eye (brain is not trying to compensate for noticeable blur).

Mine seem to have the same far away blurr as yours also, see attached:
Yours seems to be typical of how the Typhoon H takes pictures. It's as if it scans one set of lines across the picture, then scans the next set and puts them together. Sort of like 1080i works, but in this case it is doing it at max resolution. When this happens it gives the effect of moving items (trees, leaves, water, etc) to have double edges. When you zoom into such photos, they look just like yours. My trees/leaves look the same.

Here is mine. This is just a capture from a video clip. Acceptable focus on the right hand side with focus going to slight blur on left hand side and increasing to more blur as your eyes move to the top left. LEFT BLUR.jpg

I wonder is the lens was glued in out of focus, or is your internal lens is dirty, I have heard a few who have opened theirs up, that they found smudges on the internal lens? But "All" of us? Hmmm?

Mine seem to have the same far away blurr as yours also, see attached:
To my eyes, your image does not seem to have a point in focus at all, exept possibly the grass front right. I have noticed with mine that on filming having landed the grass seems particularly sharp on the display.
If this was not a drone pic but taken with a hand held DSLR I would have guessed that this was camera movement with a slow shutter speed rather than a focus issue. I am sure you know how to use a camera DC, but what was your shutter speed on this image?
I am sure there are, or will be people who complain of soft images that simply don't understand how to avoid camera movement issues by using correct exposure values. This is not aimed at anyone on here particularly but it is a common problem with new photographers. I was guilty of it myself.

I wonder is the lens was glued in out of focus, or is your internal lens is dirty, I have heard a few who have opened theirs up, that they found smudges on the internal lens? But "All" of us? Hmmm?
The outside of the lens is as clean as it was when it left the factory. The glass cover is also super clean (Being a photographer, I have a great cleaning kit). It's either a misalignment when it was screwed in (sitting, or being pushed slightly to one side), or there is a super tiny smudge on the underside of the lens which faces the sensor.

Yuneec sent me an RA# and the camera has gone back to them.

Reactions: jwjohnson
The outside of the lens is as clean as it was when it left the factory. The glass cover is also super clean (Being a photographer, I have a great cleaning kit). It's either a misalignment when it was screwed in (sitting, or being pushed slightly to one side), or there is a super tiny smudge on the underside of the lens which faces the sensor.

Yuneec sent me an RA# and the camera has gone back to them.
Did they look at sample images or was it just a conversation?

Did they look at sample images or was it just a conversation?
I just sent them an email witht 4 sample images taken in different locations. I also sent them a photo of the camera from the outside, and the bottom of the drone showing the serial number. The following day I received a phone call from customer service, then that evening I received the RA and he next day I received the shipping label.

To my eyes, your image does not seem to have a point in focus at all, exept possibly the grass front right. I have noticed with mine that on filming having landed the grass seems particularly sharp on the display.
If this was not a drone pic but taken with a hand held DSLR I would have guessed that this was camera movement with a slow shutter speed rather than a focus issue. I am sure you know how to use a camera DC, but what was your shutter speed on this image?
I am sure there are, or will be people who complain of soft images that simply don't understand how to avoid camera movement issues by using correct exposure values. This is not aimed at anyone on here particularly but it is a common problem with new photographers. I was guilty of it myself.
50/100, I just adjusted to get the best overall light and color, I was focal pointing at the three step water falls

Last edited:
50/100, I just adjusted to get the best overall light and color, I was focal pointing at the three step water falls
What do you mean 50/100? Also what do you mean by focal pointing? The camera is fixed focus, it should be factory adjusted to give the best depth of focus from infinity to a predermined distance.
All lenses are only 'in focus' at a precise distance from the camera. Everything else is out of focus, depending on the lens and aperture used some of this will appear to be in focus, near enough not to matter otherwise. With this lens you cannot choose your focus point unless you have worked out what distance from the lens that is. Sorry DC I am not trying to preach I was just wondering if in your image it was a focus or vibration issue caused by slow shutter speed because the whole pic looks out to me

I just sent them an email witht 4 sample images taken in different locations. I also sent them a photo of the camera from the outside, and the bottom of the drone showing the serial number. The following day I received a phone call from customer service, then that evening I received the RA and he next day I received the shipping label.
Cheers, may give them a call tomorrow

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval