Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Q500 4K 5Min. Videos?

Reaction score
I Love my Yuneec Q500 4K with it's amazing 25 min. flight time, But why does it record for only 5Min. not matter what size micro sd card I have installed??? anyway to get around that?? When I press *Record* it should record until I press **STOP** Or the free space on my micro sd card is filled...

It does keep recording, but in 5 minute segments. They can be seamlessly joined in video editing software. All of Yuneec’s aircraft do this. It is a built in protection in case of file corruption and it keeps file sizes reasonable for file transfer processes.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
I think this is a file system limitation....Fat32 is 4Gb.....if you could use exFAT it’d be much, much larger.

As Doom says, count it as a benefit.

Some recordings can not be recovered if the idiot pilot forgets to stop a recording before powering down the aircraft. In such a scenario, only the last footage is lost, not the whole session (if longer than 5 minutes).

Jeff

[Edit] - H480/CGO3+ owners may be able to recover from the above scenario, IF they remember to power up their aircraft, wait for initialization, and then record another video. The previously unceremoniously aborted video "may" close properly, allowing for proper viewing. However, in my experience, this technique DOES NOT work for the H520/E50 combo.

One might want to test their own equipment, on the bench, rather than finding out some prized footage cannot be recovered.

Last edited:
Coming to the H480 after exclusively flying a Phantom I was rather taken aback at first when I found the 5 minute segment thingy. After being used to seeing all the video in one 20 minute long file from my P2V I, at first, didn't like my video being chopped up to 5 minute files. However, it didn't take me long to appreciate the benefits of my video being chopped up...

For example, I used to use an elderly lap-top to edit and produce finished videos. If I were to load up a 15 minute video in to the editor it would slow it down considerably...loading 2 or 3 similar video files from the day's flights, then, would have been very detrimental to the computer's abilities. Not good if you are only using a minute or so of footage from each of those files. With just the 5 minute segments, then, my laptop coped far better since I didn't need to load all the files produced on the day...only those that I needed footage from.

New computer now that can easily handle 4K video but the 5 minute segments is still good. Only need to load up the bits I need to the editor. No worries that I would lose a flight's total video if a file gets corrupted. Also a benefit is that if I want to 'split screen' two (or more) videos I'm not messing with 15 minute files.

By the way, as pointed out above, those five minute files are seamless when brought together in an editor.

Reactions: WTFDproject
As Doom says, count it as a benefit.

Some recordings can not be recovered if the idiot pilot forgets to stop a recording before powering down the aircraft. In such a scenario, only the last footage is lost, not the whole session (if longer than 5 minutes).

Jeff
if you forgot to stop the recording when you powered down, all you have to do is power back up record a few seconds of video and wallah, you retrieved the last video file.

if you forgot to stop the recording when you powered down, all you have to do is power back up record a few seconds of video and wallah, you retrieved the last video file.

@AH-1G,

If using an H480 and CGO3+, the technique you mention works... most of the time.

However, if said idiot pilot is using an H520 with an E50 camera, this recovery feature does not work. Do not recall if I have read about success or failure from anyone with an E90 or H-Plus/C23.

Did I mention who the idiot pilot is who unintentionally tested the above?

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval