Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Tornado H920- Return of the Hex. (It never went away.)

Reaction score
Is the Tornado H920 Plus the next step up from Typhoon H? Hard to say but Yuneec has certainly taken the Typyhoon H and added some cool technology behind it. What I like best about the Tornado H920 is if you have had experience with the Typhoon H, you should be able to pick up from this point and work on the next technologies. I don't believe the Tornado H920 Plus was not previewed at CES 2017 in Las Vegas. Correct me if I am wrong on that point.

download.jpeg

Currently the H920 is a step up from the H as far as camera quality and flight time. Later this summer the H 520 will go into production and will be an intermediate step between the H and the H920.

If absolute camera quality is your goal, the reports are that this will blow you away. It's based on the GH4 camera, so you get award winning video quality, interchangeable lenses and high resolution stills. I'm looking forward to having a play with it!

Can someone tell me what are the differences between "old" Tornado H920 and the "new" Tornado H920 Plus aside from the fact that the latter has the ST16 instead of ST24?

So from what I've read and compared between overviews of both drones, the main differences are:

-quick release props
-ST16 instead of ST24
-CCC, Journey modes

and... that's it I guess.

It looks more like firmware update and swapped radio, not like a new drone.

So from what I've read and compared between overviews of both drones, the main differences are:

-quick release props
-ST16 instead of ST24
-CCC, Journey modes

and... that's it I guess.

It looks more like firmware update and swapped radio, not like a new drone.
Yes it looks like the only change on the 920 is the props. The other changes are with the controller. They have also added the waypoint planning software.

I must say I am a little bit let down. I was hoping for something more. Especially seeing that the competition gives some interesting releases. But I hope yuneec just refreshes their old pro flying platform to sell it quickly before a new one hits the market.

Yes it looks like the only change on the 920 is the props. The other changes are with the controller. They have also added the waypoint planning software.
all of the flight controler and esc have been updated to a much more powerful(in computing terms) system

I must say I am a little bit let down. I was hoping for something more. Especially seeing that the competition gives some interesting releases. But I hope yuneec just refreshes their old pro flying platform to sell it quickly before a new one hits the market.

Remember the H920 is a modular system. This hardware upgrade changes the core of the machine to support far more sophisticated flight behaviour (things like waypoint missions are run on the drone itself, not on the controller, so it's not just a question of adding a new app). As a flying platform it already outperformed many competitors with things like long flight times and stability.

There's a lot to be said for Yuneec's long term commitment to the platform. Mentioning no names, but some manufacturers are quite happy to force existing owners to start again from scratch with each new model. Instead we're seeing the H920 maturing into a robust professional platform. It perhaps doesn't meet the hype that some products are receiving, but from what I've seen it's more than capable of delivering reliable, high quality aerial imagery.

What is the possibility that the new Tornado as some redundancies like we are seeing on other platforms?

I am still in the market for a M4/3 camera hex but it needs prop/motor/esc, battery, imu, compass and GPS redundancy. The M600 is good but too large physically for me. If they could get this into the Tornado I would buy one.

Hello. Chris from Terrestrial Imaging here. The H920+ will have the same feature set as the Typhoon H. It will work off of the same ST16 controller and be able to support the CGO3+ camera, CGOET camera, CGOCI camera and the M4/3 CGO4. Basically, the new H920+ will be a giant Typhoon H. We look forward to being able to utilize the same controller and cameras with the H, H520 and H920. Cheers, Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital