Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Typhoon Controller

And in the hopes of clearing up the confusion that continues around the names given to the various bundles of the Typhoon H.;)

The "Pro" is identical, in every way, to the standard typhoon H except - it has RealSense. And here is the US; the package or 'bundle' it was sold in included two flight batteries, a Wizard Wand and a Back Pack. In Early 2017 Yuneec then bundled the Standard H in the same way. SO - the Pro has RealSense and other than that is identical to the standard H.

The transmitters for all Typhoons have three antennas - the early ones just had the third placed inside the controller - when the "pro" was brought out it was the first to have the third external antenna as well as the black tubes on the bottom of the Typhoon body, inside of each gear leg. Later the 3 antenna controller became universal across all variants as did the aircraft's' antenna tubes.
When I bought my H (Yuneec refurbed) it came with the original 2 external antenna version controller, and no tubes on the bottom of the drone, I have two short wires extending out with stripped bare ends by either leg. The radio was flaky so they exchanged it and gave me the updated 3 antenna version. Are the tubes just to cover the bare antennas, did they just right mone for some reason or what are your thoughts?

Yes, the black tubes are simply there to hold the thin antenna wires. This may help the signal slightly, but the little antennas on both types are the same.

I wondered, I've seen the H's with the tubes, assumed I had an orignal version of some sorts, I always check them for signs of damage before flying, so far I don;t see anything that concerns me, reception is definitely good, I've only had it to 400' once just to test and do a 360 pan, typically I'm at no more than 200' usually 100" or so, but I've thrown all over the local county park from one end to the other out to 1600' and other than video freeze and telemetry way out there, I had full control. I do wish the telemetry gave the heading though, not sure why it doesn't, the arrow is OK, but I grew up in a house with a CFI who favorite phrase was stick and rudder, I want my dang heading.

Reactions: Steve Carr
For most people getting a multirotor “to” somewhere isn’t a problem. Getting one back can be. The arrow works perfectly for getting one back. Being a retired CFI I can understand the desire for seeing a heading in an airplane but for the H that feature is superfluous.

Nothing superflous about it, heading is relevant flight data, an arrow is for people who don't know what a compass is.

Reactions: WernerJB
Just for discussion purposes, in general photography and videography, when does one use a compass? How often do photographers even consider the compass heading they are facing?

Drone operators normally see something they want to shoot and fly in that direction using either the camera or mark 1 eyeball to maintain alignment with the desired subject.

With SAR and mapping I can understand a need for a “relative north” graphic that would display on screen. Having one would permit easier graphics alignment for post flight review. For most flying general photo missions, especially those operating legally, their multirotor will remain within sight at all times so a compass would serve little purpose. Having a compass would be more of a want than a need.

As the telemetry records quite accurate Lat/Long data post flight flight track overlays are pretty easy to create so a compass serves no purpose there. As long as telemetry is being received at the ST-16 the Lat/Long position is displayed on the ST-16 screen, making it easy to find a downed bird if the ST-16 was not turned off prior to noting the coordinates. Turned off before noting makes things a little more difficult as the file telemetry will have to be viewed for position reference. Pop the coordinates into Google Earth and the map display will have north at the top of the displayed view.

Although I’m a retired CFI I’m still a certified ground instructor and I just can’t establish a need for a compass with a line of sight multirotor. Perhaps you can convince me to the contrary.

Just for discussion purposes, in general photography and videography, when does one use a compass? How often do photographers even consider the compass heading they are facing?.......

Street Photography, Portraiture, Family Portraiture, Fine Art, Photojournalism, Wedding Photography - Never.

Real Estate Photography, Process Photography, Landscape Photography - Frequently, but in Cardinal terms: “looking north”; “southern end of.....”; “facing west”; “western exposure”; “north side of....”.

In Photography, lighting is everything. If you’re a Natural Light Photographer, as I am, then the direction and quality of the existing light is primary. When evaluating/scouting a location, I will consider the Sun’s position at a given time of day, the angle of light and shadows, and the directions i’ll want to face to take advantage of the existing light. 95% of the time I’m shooting Golden Hour, the hour(s) surrounding sunset and sunrise.

All this is Cardinal though.....never have I used headings. (Face camera at xxx degrees)

I used Google Earth to choose a spot to fly. There were structures that I was curious about and were located at a heading of about 20 degrees from my start point. I took off and climbed to about 200 feet and panned around. I thought I identified the direction I wanted to fly and checked out what I thought were my objects of interest. When I referred to the telemetry it turned out I had flown about 115 degrees and saw something I didn't intend to. Of little importance but if I was able to see the bearing I was flying I wouldn't have made that mistake.

Actually in landscape shots, sun and moon rise -set especially I keep a trail compass in my bag specifically so I can get a good idea of where things will rise and fall, that way I can judge the suitability of location ahead of the event. Moonrises especially I find a compass to be an essential tool. First shot I ever had published nationally I got because I knew where to be to get the moon in a specific location over a narrow section of bridge.

I don't need to convince anyone of anything, I'm stating what I prefer, not what others need to use.

Understand the preference side of things but manufacturers tend to go with what they feel is necessary or cost effective. If they feel the majority would not make use, or much use of a tool they would leave it out for simplicity and cost reduction.

Actually in landscape shots, sun and moon rise -set especially I keep a trail compass in my bag specifically so I can get a good idea of where things will rise and fall, that way I can judge the suitability of location ahead of the event. Moonrises especially I find a compass to be an essential tool. First shot I ever had published nationally I got because I knew where to be to get the moon in a specific location over a narrow section of bridge.

I don't need to convince anyone of anything, I'm stating what I prefer, not what others need to use.

Try this: (if you haven’t already)

The Photographers Ephemeris

Web App is free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval