Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Typhoon H Drone Can Avoid Obstacles in Real Time

me too and i will be getting ready for my life in the shed when she finds out !!
My wife gave me the "green light" to buy one...I'm just waiting to hear the price in Canadian dollars and exactly what is in the box.
As for the Intel RealSense...I have no intentions of having my $2000 rig trying to dodge trees on its own. I don't know what the sensor resolution will be, but I don't think it will see the thousands of wee tiny twigs sticking out everywhere from nearby trees. I'm sure there is a reason why the promo video shows the H avoiding a big sequoia cactus in a wide open desert. There is no itty-bitty twiggy bits from a nearby tree ready to catch a prop.
So when people get all worked up about needing to spend an extra $200 to get the Realsense...ask yourself if you reall even need it.
I would rather have the Wizard as an inclusion than have the Realsense system.

My wife gave me the "green light" to buy one...I'm just waiting to hear the price in Canadian dollars and exactly what is in the box.
As for the Intel RealSense...I have no intentions of having my $2000 rig trying to dodge trees on its own. I don't know what the sensor resolution will be, but I don't think it will see the thousands of wee tiny twigs sticking out everywhere from nearby trees. I'm sure there is a reason why the promo video shows the H avoiding a big sequoia cactus in a wide open desert. There is no itty-bitty twiggy bits from a nearby tree ready to catch a prop.
So when people get all worked up about needing to spend an extra $200 to get the Realsense...ask yourself if you reall even need it.

yes its not 360 degree anyway due to the gimbal and camera hence forward pointing sensors, but for me the real benefit of that would be if (and its a big if) they put a FLIR IR camera on it which has radiometric capability, then when doing close inspection work I know a little stupid accidental input of the stick will not result in me accidentally hitting the object i am inspecting, so to me that would be useful, and it only works in turtle mode anyway due to the speed required to stop within its stated distance which I think is 3-5m (or is it feet ?)

Reactions: DiscoStew
yes its not 360 degree anyway due to the gimbal and camera hence forward pointing sensors, but for me the real benefit of that would be if (and its a big if) they put a FLIR IR camera on it which has radiometric capability, then when doing close inspection work I know a little stupid accidental input of the stick will not result in me accidentally hitting the object i am inspecting, so to me that would be useful, and it only works in turtle mode anyway due to the speed required to stop within its stated distance which I think is 3-5m (or is it feet ?)
Air Pauly...you are brilliant :) I never even thought about it's application for use in a poor visibility (fog/smoke) with the FLIR camera. But, as it is right now, it's only for forward flight and I can see 360 detection coming within the year...if yuneec and Intel provides SDK or API for their software (and whatever hardware from Intel that was running the Realsense system). I really wonder how much it would take to just strap on 3 more sensors and tie the algorithms together...but I bet once an SDK is made available some company full of brilliant programmers will make it happen ;)

For people who really want to risk 2 grand on an autonomous avoidance system...read the fine print (when it comes out) about what is covered under the warranty. "Dodging sequoia in open desert is "OK" but small twigs from pine trees in forests are "void of coverage"." Can you even begin to imagine the number of people wanting warranty coverage because they tried to auto-fly their rig down a 4 foot wide mountain biking path lined with trees? And they thought it would just avoid everything. As i previously mentioned, resolution of the sensors is the golden key...and the operator having more sense than an egg-plant:p

Once the sensor resolution and read distance improve, plus 360 coverage, then the rate of speed of flight will improve for collision avoidance, and then we won't need to worry about a lateral movement or reversing movement to put the H in trouble.

they have a FLIR option coming out soon. DJI had a good run at being king, but there is a newneec challenger for the crown :)

They already have the ability to do 360 degree object avoidance but it conflicts with the gimbal and camera as they are in its field of view, so the most they would be able to do is limited avoidance around certain areas of the aircraft, so I dont see it advancing far from the detection field it now has or they would have offered it given that it works pretty well already on the prototypes. Im sure this type of capability will improve no end this next couple of years as have drones already. Just look at where we were just a few of years ago when DJI released the phantom 2 vision with a shaky 2 axis camera.....now look at what is available.....amazing really

How many people will be brave enough to fly it at a building to see if it truly does avoid obsticals? I've watched videos from yuneec doing such things. Going to be scary stuff

I have watched a video from yuneec where they are in a netted cage and the h won't fly into it due to the real sense. If it can detect a net then maybe it can detect little twigs from a tree. Only guessing at this point tho.

Can't wait to find out in due course

How many people will be brave enough to fly it at a building to see if it truly does avoid obsticals? I've watched videos from yuneec doing such things. Going to be scary stuff
They won't have to.
There will be plenty of us who routinely run into buildings and other objects while we were not even trying.. I am sure there will be plenty of reports from the field of such encounters. We'll tell you if it worked or not.LOL

Reactions: clive long
Just heard from our YUNEEC guy and he said there may be a stripped down version with just one battery and no case for $1,499. Considering an Inspire with one battery and no case is more than twice that, people will take notice for sure.

Think I will just bite the bullet and get the case and extra battery. Will end up buying both at some point anyway. Its nearly march and I'm getting very excited. Bet it will end up being closer to April tho

Yeah, My finger is about a inch away from "enter" just hearing to many stories of when it will come out, middle of March, then 1st half of 16, then somewhere in Q2 , I think if they want by 2k they can at least give a confirmed date imo

I've now pre ordered mine, spoke to yunnec uk and they told me it will be first week in April for the uk. Really hope they are not telling porkies as the company I bought it from have already taken my money lol.

Great!, hope you get it then, I'll have to see if it's the same for us over yonder in the U.S. Let me know what you think when you get it and get it up in the air! I bet it will be awesome!

Yuneec are making changes to the landing gear to make it more robust and they are also changing the retracts and making software changes to make flight smoother, hence delays

I'm itching to get it out. I'll certainly let you know how great it is ☺
Push that enter button!!

Do the yuneec range have the function of find my drone? Just like dji "find my phantom". Or can anyone recommend a great little gps tracker I can stick to it? Cheers

i understand they are also improving the retracts, so with the improved algorithms, improved landing gear, improved retracts, camera enhancements....there will be testing required thus delays pre production

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval