Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Typhoon H

Reaction score
So I was helping someone set up a Typhoon H and in the past, there haven't been anything too outstanding about them as I usually prefer to use DJI. It was fresh out of the box and as we tried to set it up, we noticed that the light on the camera wasn't lighting up at all. I know that it has to blink in order to transmit image to the controller but that wasn't happening in this case. We made sure to put in the SD card into the camera but we couldn't get past that step. I might not be the best at explaining but I will include everything that we know and did.

Now my question is, how do we make it connect? I did try looking at other forums but nothing is working. We did try binding it and we almost got somewhere but after a few minutes of waiting to see if it would set up or bind, the code for the camera said 'Not Connected'. We did have movement but after that occurred, we had no control what so ever and it's left me more baffled. I'm not sure if anyone has run into this issue before but we don't know what to do at this point.

We're also having internet problems as we want to see if maybe we need an update but even so, it did say first that the aircraft wasn't detected and then continued on to say that the camera was not compatible.

I hope someone knows something as this was also tried on another drone and it was experiencing the same issue. I'm no expert on Typhoons so I apologize for the bad explanation but hope someone can help!

@DianaP_1250
Hello D. I had this issue in the past, what I had to do is create a new name for my Typhoon.
If you go to the Search Forum and type in "binding camera" there is a list of issues and replies from the experts how to fix this.
Others I'm sure will respond here shortly.:)

Reactions: AJan
Both the camera and the H should arrive already bound to the ST-16, but you should update the firmware in both in the first instance. There are sometimes problems updating this over WiFi, so to be extra safe you might consider doing it via the SD card method instead...

Here's a video about that...

Last edited:
As AeroJ mentioned they should already be bound, however when I did an update I could not bind, so I was told to give my H a new name and wala it worked.

I oppose having new users or new aircraft updating before the first flight. All H firmware versions functioned well and would operate the aircraft just fine. Performing an update incorrectly is how many new users have royally screwed up their systems. Sure, determine which version is present, but learn the aircraft and its systems before updating. The only reason to update a new system is if finding the firmware is different/not compatible between Tx, Ac, and camera.

Reactions: BrokenSausage
I oppose having new users or new aircraft updating before the first flight. All H firmware versions functioned well and would operate the aircraft just fine. Performing an update incorrectly is how many new users have royally screwed up their systems. Sure, determine which version is present, but learn the aircraft and its systems before updating. The only reason to update a new system is if finding the firmware is different/not compatible between Tx, Ac, and camera.
It's been a good while now since there was a new firmware update. I would have thought that any new H bought now would have the latest firmware installed anyway unless the unit has been sitting on a shelf far longer than it should have.

Agree about not updating firmware on a new H even if one is available. The H will fly just fine no matter which firmware it is using. Get a few flights in before looking at the firmware version.

The only reason to update a new system is if finding the firmware is different/not compatible between Tx, Ac, and camera.

Hmm. No disrespect whatever to PatR or Flush, but I'm not so sure about that myself. In the case of the H plus, where new firmware is a largely unknown quantity I'd agree 100%, but with something as old and established as the original H, where we know the latest firmware to be fine, then you want to be updating that fairly quickly, as it gives you functionality like GPS on / off and D-pad control which won't necessarily be on the version you have... it also fixes some stability issues, and if forums are to be believed, reduces the chance of flyaways and other problems. I'd say you want most of those things from the get-go, but like Pat warns, you do need to be careful that you do this correctly - ideally following one of the various step by step videos there are for this. To be extra safe, I'd do it via SD card and not via Wifi.

For those that can follow directions I agree, but many don’t, won’t, or fail to comprehend them. Do a search and you find a large number of systems bricked because of an improperly performed firmware update. Once the update gets messed up they don’t stop there and start messing with other settings trying to fix it, making things worse. For someone with little experience, earning to operate and understand the basics is more important than new widgets. As we don’t know the competence or experience level of either the OP or owner, safe is better than sorry. If they can’t figure out how to bind a firmware update is out of the question. But that’s just my opinion.

I had a dji product before and it was constant updates , sometimes all you wanted to was fly but it wanted you to update the birds firmware and the batteries .

With the H just go fly , mine was shipped with the latest firmware and it seems stable.

My Dji drone always wanted to go look for and install the newest firmware ..ugh

Reactions: MarkC
Hmm. No disrespect whatever to PatR or Flush, but I'm not so sure about that myself. In the case of the H plus, where new firmware is a largely unknown quantity I'd agree 100%, but with something as old and established as the original H, where we know the latest firmware to be fine, then you want to be updating that fairly quickly, as it gives you functionality like GPS on / off and D-pad control which won't necessarily be on the version you have... it also fixes some stability issues, and if forums are to be believed, reduces the chance of flyaways and other problems. I'd say you want most of those things from the get-go, but like Pat warns, you do need to be careful that you do this correctly - ideally following one of the various step by step videos there are for this. To be extra safe, I'd do it via SD card and not via Wifi.
Oh, I fully agree that one should be flying on the latest firmware, and as I mentioned in my earlier post, i'd be surprised if a new TH bought now didn't have the latest firmware. All I'm saying is that looking to update the firmware (if it needs it) straight out of the box shouldn't be a new pilot's first priority. The first priority should be in getting a familiarity of the system along with at least a couple of flights under his belt before worrying about firmware versions.

I had a dji product before and it was constant updates , sometimes all you wanted to was fly but it wanted you to update the birds firmware and the batteries .

With the H just go fly , mine was shipped with the latest firmware and it seems stable.

My Dji drone always wanted to go look for and install the newest firmware ..ugh
In a way, it's fortunate that my DJI product that I'm still flying is so old that the last firmware update on it was summer 2015. Still flies a treat and even now still has it's uses commercially and never bothers me with wanting to be updated (last used commercially a few weeks ago to take photographs for a client in a land boundary dispute).

As AeroJ mentioned they should already be bound, however when I did an update I could not bind, so I was told to give my H a new name and wala it worked.
I'm not use to Yuneec so could you let me know how to do that? I don't have the drone with me nor is it my own but it would be greatly appreciated as I want to try it and help my friend get it set it up when I see him again.

No disrespect Diana, but since you do not have familiarity with Yuneec systems, your acting as a conduit of information, is only going to ultimately add an additional degree of interpretation and confusion.

Would it not be more direct to have the owner of the aircraft come on this board himself... and subsequently gain first hand information and guidance?

No disrespect Diana, but since you do not have familiarity with Yuneec systems, your acting as a conduit of information, is only going to ultimately add an additional degree of interpretation and confusion.

Would it not be more direct to have the owner of the aircraft come on this board himself... and subsequently gain first hand information and guidance?

No worries and I get where you're coming from. My friend is still learning drones from the first steps and is a bit "outdated" when using the internet and newer technology so I agreed to inform him and also this allows me to learn more about other drones. It would actually be a bit overwhelming for him and I decided to try and make things easier for him by looking up for some possible solutions and then showing him and explaining it to him and again, also helping me learn a bit more about other models and such. Even if I did try, I'm not sure if he would be getting more lost or it would help him in the end haha.

No worries and I get where you're coming from. My friend is still learning drones from the first steps and is a bit "outdated" when using the internet and newer technology so I agreed to inform him and also this allows me to learn more about other drones. It would actually be a bit overwhelming for him and I decided to try and make things easier for him by looking up for some possible solutions and then showing him and explaining it to him and again, also helping me learn a bit more about other models and such. Even if I did try, I'm not sure if he would be getting more lost or it would help him in the end haha.
Hmmm. From how you describe your friend it occurs to me that he may be better off turning his interests to a different hobby...no disrespect.

Oh, I fully agree that one should be flying on the latest firmware, and as I mentioned in my earlier post, i'd be surprised if a new TH bought now didn't have the latest firmware. All I'm saying is that looking to update the firmware (if it needs it) straight out of the box shouldn't be a new pilot's first priority. The first priority should be in getting a familiarity of the system along with at least a couple of flights under his belt before worrying about firmware versions.
Did anyone ask what version of software the ST16 has or the Bird? Might be the first step in process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers