Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec warrranty repair issues (so far, terrible)

Reaction score
long story but here we go

long time ago, after the latest firmware came out, I upgraded my H-Pro and the camera stopped tilting or panning...no other issues besides that, and I dont care about the pan but absolutely needed the tilt.

so Yuneec has me ship it back for warranty repair but not to them, to the (now I know), outsourced to Ken-A-Vision

after 40+ days, I finally get my H back and they emailed me to say that they had to replace: Main Board, ESC and Slip ring

I shipped it in the backpack as the requested with just the drone/camera and controller. once it arrived through UPS, no damage to the box but the camera lock was partially off and one of the gimbal mounts pulled out. easy fix so I wasnt too worried about that.

I started an overall inspection and so far I am not happy. first I notice after the camera mount issue, there is a fingerprint not only on the inside of the lens cover, but also directly on the lens itslef, easy fix but shouldnt have left like that...then I start looking over the camera and in a few spots the plastic is slightly messed up on the seems like they pried the camera open with a small flatblade screwdriver instead of a proper plastic pry tool...

next, they replaced my plastic gimbal safety things with extra long ones so now they hang down below the base mount...

one of the wires that runs down the leg area, it was un-taped and partially pull out of the tube it runs through

I was without my H for so long I dont recall how the wires were routed but the vents on top of the H itself, I can see the wires inside pressed right up against the the plastic and I dont recall it being like that...anyone can chime in who has an unopened one

so all of that so far, although not happy, I can deal with if it gets me back flying again

power on and calibrate the compass and accellerometer. didnt think to gimbal calibrate as it should have been done in warranty.

run up to test and first thing I notice is the camera is tilted bad, second is I have the NFZ software to go past 400ft, that was not reinstalled on my H when i was sent back

bring it down and calibrate the camera, took 3 times before it would calibrate as the camera would just turn up and stop. retest and the camera is level

bring it inside and go to install the NFZ and it will not do it.keeps blocking the install and then blocking the port. I powered down and walked away to cool down. came back and was able to get it installed. without it, it would go to around 395ft, now it only goes to 400ft, i have had it much higher for building inspections.

now, after every battery change, the camera slightly tilts, the landing gear only one leg slightly moves and the camera starts tilting down on its own, with the switch all the way up the camera doesnt level out

my last two issues. when I got the H, when you powered on, the camera would right itself,and spin the gimble and center the camera forward, now it only rights itself, you now have to hit a switch to spin it forward, the camera is also making a buzzing sound when on that if you touch the camera, it goes away and then starts again when you let it go.

I am posting this because after a super long wait, it came back semi-fixed but now with so many more problems and the guy at yuneec who would respond to emails that day or next now will not respond, i called yuneec but I cant hang on the phone waiting for 45minutes to an hour, and when it says it will hold your spot and call you back, it never does.

A few comments on your problems.

The camera is not a "snap together" shell. The front and back are held together with 4 small screws so there would be no reason to pry the camera apart. The housing around the lens area is a snap in compression fit and is removed by squeezing the sides together and lifting out.

The gimbal should be calibrated whenever the rest of the system is calibrated. The shipping process is more than enough to disturb a factory performed gimbal calibration.

Question: do the longer anti vibration mounts function well? If so a slightly longer length is a non issue.

I have two H's. During power up neither has ever "spun" the gimbal, they have simply centered the gimbal from whatever position it had been in.

NFZ software has to be re-installed by the user after any and every firmware upgrade. This is made very clear in the PDF that Yuneec provides when they issue waiver software to users. I would not expect Yuneec to install NFZ software for the user since the user has total responsibility for removing NFZ's from the system. Performed incorrectly, the system will reject any firm or software update. User errors during the installation of firmware upgrades is the #1 reason for firmware system issues.

Reactions: JRremotePilot
A few comments on your problems.

The camera is not a "snap together" shell. The front and back are held together with 4 small screws so there would be no reason to pry the camera apart. The housing around the lens area is a snap in compression fit and is removed by squeezing the sides together and lifting out.

The gimbal should be calibrated whenever the rest of the system is calibrated. The shipping process is more than enough to disturb a factory performed gimbal calibration.

Question: do the longer anti vibration mounts function well? If so a slightly longer length is a non issue.

I have two H's. During power up neither has ever "spun" the gimbal, they have simply centered the gimbal from whatever position it had been in.

NFZ software has to be re-installed by the user after any and every firmware upgrade. This is made very clear in the PDF that Yuneec provides when they issue waiver software to users. I would not expect Yuneec to install NFZ software for the user since the user has total responsibility for removing NFZ's from the system. Performed incorrectly, the system will reject any firm or software update. User errors during the installation of firmware upgrades is the #1 reason for firmware system issues.

i know how the camera goes together, just stating how mine came back, it is very minor and wouldnt be an issue if it performed the way it should.

its not the mounts that are longer, its the plastic pins that stick out the bottom, when you had the product and they werent hanging out and now they are, its just an annoyance, the originals wee perfectly fine, but as for does it perform better. unsure, the camera tilts to the side on its own during flight and I just tested it a few minutes ago and the tilt down wouldnt work above 100ft.

for the short time ive had mine, it would automatically center the camera forward, thats why i thought it was weird when it came back that I had to push a button, maybe something new in the upgraded software

I got the NFZ software fixed finally, had to reinstall the GUI and it went through

I still have the issues of the camera making a buzzing sound, and other camera issues ive stated above

The buzzing sound would have to be a gimbal drive motor encountering resistance, I wouldn't be concerned about the pins as they are only a safety device. Unless experiencing an impact they do nothing.

The buzzing sound would have to be a gimbal drive motor encountering resistance, I wouldn't be concerned about the pins as they are only a safety device. Unless experiencing an impact they do nothing.

the pins are just cosmetic i guess you would call it. if they work fine, im ok with that but nothing was wrong with the other ones....as for the buzz noise. it went in for camera issues and cam back semi fixed with more camera issues

heres a few pics, i smoothed out most of the plastic that looked pryed on but you can still see a lil bit

the lens cover, just one of a few issues

now this part im unsure of, looks like the microphone to the left of the lens, not sure if that mounts somewhere or just hangs there. it is just hanging there, moves freely

after calibration and flying for a few minutes, the camera automatically tilts itself like shown

fingerprint from whoever worked on it, on the lens and inside lens cover

how one of the antennas came back

as of now, it keeps buzzing, tilting the camera sideward and down in flight and as of today the tilt down stopped working for a short time...if it was a$100 unit, id expect this but this cost a lil bit more and it has been in the repair shop longer ive had it at home, and need more work

I had a similar issue but different result. After updating my gimbal hung low to the side; I tried several gimbal and accelerometer calibrations to no avail.

Yuneec received it on March 17th and it was returned April 20th, a bit long I thought.

My H was returned in good shape with no issues, flies better than ever. The tech said the gimbal required a "full calibration", I don't know what that means vs the ST16 calibration.

I do know they had the gimbal apart because the dust cover that seals the gap where the dampening balls are was removed. The shield was in the box but not installed. I don't know if this was an oversight or intentional but I have been flying without it.

The tech noted horizontal scratches on the bottom of the camera:) I have dragged the camera along the ground and bushes so many times I can't remember. But it was repaired under warranty. I added external antennas to my H and long range antennas to my ST16 but no questions were asked.

Good to hear from you again Robbi,

Some of the places you fly, and the Follow/Lead methods you use, pretty much assures you'll scrub the camera in the brush;) BTW, those long range antennas have been working out quite well. I haven't had a C2 glitch since I started flying the second H where I had them installed before it was shipped. Thanks for the idea!

Nola,

It appears you might have experienced a new tech for the repair work. It's certainly not indicative of how someone with a little experience would do things.

For the antenna just slide it into the tube like the one on the left side of your image. Those tubes are to maintain separation of the antenna wires from the landing gear assembly. Don't do like some others have and confuse the hollow tube and wire arrangement as a long range antenna system. It's certainly not, but quite effective just the same.

For the camera lens, you were going to have to clean the lens eventually and now looks like a great time;) I would not bother installing the outer lens cover again. It actually does more harm than good by reducing the amount of light entering the lens. You won't be scratching the lens if you keep your fingers off of it.

There are two microphones in the camera. I don't know why you removed the cover, which is unimportant for this conversation, but the microphones normally rest inside a tiny well on each side of the front half of the camera shell. They fall out of the wells just about every time you separate the camera body halves. They are not difficult to put back in place when the camera is apart but they are a bit reluctant about staying in place while reassembling the camera body and will fall out again easier than they came out the first time if the wires are pulled but a very little bit. I don't know if you like to hear the sound of the motors in your videos. I don't so I have the mics turned off. If I want sound I'll dub it during post. If you feel the same just leave the mic where it is and turn the sound off. It will cause no harm and saves separating the camera body and risking damage to the camera board and flex ribbon.

The buzzing would have me back on the phone with Yuneec. I'd try calibrating the gimbal again to see what happens but the buzzing is not a good thing.

Nola,

It appears you might have experienced a new tech for the repair work. It's certainly not indicative of how someone with a little experience would do things.

For the antenna just slide it into the tube like the one on the left side of your image. Those tubes are to maintain separation of the antenna wires from the landing gear assembly. Don't do like some others have and confuse the hollow tube and wire arrangement as a long range antenna system. It's certainly not, but quite effective just the same.

For the camera lens, you were going to have to clean the lens eventually and now looks like a great time;) I would not bother installing the outer lens cover again. It actually does more harm than good by reducing the amount of light entering the lens. You won't be scratching the lens if you keep your fingers off of it.

There are two microphones in the camera. I don't know why you removed the cover, which is unimportant for this conversation, but the microphones normally rest inside a tiny well on each side of the front half of the camera shell. They fall out of the wells just about every time you separate the camera body halves. They are not difficult to put back in place when the camera is apart but they are a bit reluctant about staying in place while reassembling the camera body and will fall out again easier than they came out the first time if the wires are pulled but a very little bit. I don't know if you like to hear the sound of the motors in your videos. I don't so I have the mics turned off. If I want sound I'll dub it during post. If you feel the same just leave the mic where it is and turn the sound off. It will cause no harm and saves separating the camera body and risking damage to the camera board and flex ribbon.

The buzzing would have me back on the phone with Yuneec. I'd try calibrating the gimbal again to see what happens but the buzzing is not a good thing.

the antenna and the lens was a quick fix as soon as I seen it, the issue is it should have never left like that from a reputable shop , as for my main job, I take things apart and fix them for a living. If I sent a car out after repair and left things loose, hanging or not fixed properly, the boss is gonna have me doing it till its right. Im proud of the work I do and I do it well.

I just pulled the cover to see if anything was maybe binding or could be causing the buzz noise. I dont use the microphone as I did once and could only hear the props sounding like angry bees but again, like my work, I put stuff back where it belongs. im not worried with it though, mainly I just want the camera to function properly

I have called yuneec several times but I do automotive collision and I cant have the phone glued to my head for 45minutes to hour waiting for someone to answer. I have tried using their system where it will hold your place and call you back but after 6 different attempts, no one ever calls back. not giving up but they need to fix their system or reply to an email

I took it out again today. done a full calibration, seemed good besides the buzzing noise. after about 15 minutes there was a slight tilt to the camera. finally flew till it was time to land, swapped batteries and flew a few more minutes and the camera tilted more. after about 10 minutes I landed and called it a day

NOLAslimm,

very sad story really. As you have mentioned, and PatR, the minor issues are an annoyance and not indicative of a professional repair.

The buzzing and the tilt on the camera really do need sorting by Yuneec. Overall Yuneec seem to have very good service, especially compared to DJI for example. From your description it appears Yuneec have let themselves down. All I can suggest is you persist and wait on the line until you speak to someone.

Keep us posted.

OK, getting somewhere now.

after the 2nd call today, they actually called me back, finally.

told the guy how long Ken-A-Vision had the drone and what a poor quality job they done...he asked what was happening and said to box up just the camera and send it back but to yuneec directly and that he is putting it in as an already repaired comeback

just dropped it off at ups a few minutes ago so we shall see how this goes

Reactions: Steve Carr
I had a similar issue but different result. After updating my gimbal hung low to the side; I tried several gimbal and accelerometer calibrations to no avail.
Yuneec received it on March 17th and it was returned April 20th, a bit long I thought.
My H was returned in good shape with no issues, flies better than ever. The tech said the gimbal required a "full calibration", I don't know what that means vs the ST16 calibration.
I do know they had the gimbal apart because the dust cover that seals the gap where the dampening balls are was removed. The shield was in the box but not installed. I don't know if this was an oversight or intentional but I have been flying without it.
The tech noted horizontal scratches on the bottom of the camera:) I have dragged the camera along the ground and bushes so many times I can't remember. But it was repaired under warranty. I added external antennas to my H and long range antennas to my ST16 but no questions were asked.
Have you tried to calibrate the gimbal using the ST16 menu?

Yes I tried several times, even with tech support on the line. The repair technician said my gimbal required a "Full" calibration whatever that means.
I presume that means it must be sent back to Yuneec. It sounds like the IMU on the gimbal isn't functioning properly.

long story but here we go

long time ago, after the latest firmware came out, I upgraded my H-Pro and the camera stopped tilting or panning...no other issues besides that, and I dont care about the pan but absolutely needed the tilt.

so Yuneec has me ship it back for warranty repair but not to them, to the (now I know), outsourced to Ken-A-Vision

after 40+ days, I finally get my H back and they emailed me to say that they had to replace: Main Board, ESC and Slip ring

I shipped it in the backpack as the requested with just the drone/camera and controller. once it arrived through UPS, no damage to the box but the camera lock was partially off and one of the gimbal mounts pulled out. easy fix so I wasnt too worried about that.

I started an overall inspection and so far I am not happy. first I notice after the camera mount issue, there is a fingerprint not only on the inside of the lens cover, but also directly on the lens itslef, easy fix but shouldnt have left like that...then I start looking over the camera and in a few spots the plastic is slightly messed up on the seems like they pried the camera open with a small flatblade screwdriver instead of a proper plastic pry tool...

next, they replaced my plastic gimbal safety things with extra long ones so now they hang down below the base mount...

one of the wires that runs down the leg area, it was un-taped and partially pull out of the tube it runs through

I was without my H for so long I dont recall how the wires were routed but the vents on top of the H itself, I can see the wires inside pressed right up against the the plastic and I dont recall it being like that...anyone can chime in who has an unopened one

so all of that so far, although not happy, I can deal with if it gets me back flying again

power on and calibrate the compass and accellerometer. didnt think to gimbal calibrate as it should have been done in warranty.

run up to test and first thing I notice is the camera is tilted bad, second is I have the NFZ software to go past 400ft, that was not reinstalled on my H when i was sent back

bring it down and calibrate the camera, took 3 times before it would calibrate as the camera would just turn up and stop. retest and the camera is level

bring it inside and go to install the NFZ and it will not do it.keeps blocking the install and then blocking the port. I powered down and walked away to cool down. came back and was able to get it installed. without it, it would go to around 395ft, now it only goes to 400ft, i have had it much higher for building inspections.

now, after every battery change, the camera slightly tilts, the landing gear only one leg slightly moves and the camera starts tilting down on its own, with the switch all the way up the camera doesnt level out

my last two issues. when I got the H, when you powered on, the camera would right itself,and spin the gimble and center the camera forward, now it only rights itself, you now have to hit a switch to spin it forward, the camera is also making a buzzing sound when on that if you touch the camera, it goes away and then starts again when you let it go.

I am posting this because after a super long wait, it came back semi-fixed but now with so many more problems and the guy at yuneec who would respond to emails that day or next now will not respond, i called yuneec but I cant hang on the phone waiting for 45minutes to an hour, and when it says it will hold your spot and call you back, it never does.
Your so right, 45 min wait, leave message no return call im still waiting 2 months now for my call back. They were never like this 4 months ago. We need to send them a progress report as they have fell off tbe cliff, they need to kno

Your so right, 45 min wait, leave message no return call im still waiting 2 months now for my call back. They were never like this 4 months ago. We need to send them a progress report as they have fell off tbe cliff, they need to kno

i told the guy I talked to that its about time they finally returned my call after so many tries. he just stayed calm and basically ignored it but processed my stuff through...camera arrived to them friday so hopefully they get it fixed and back soon.

Understanding that we all become irritated, at times angry, and often frustrated, it's always better to use a teaspoon of honey instead of a ladle full of vinegar. The person on the other end like as not had nothing to do with earlier communication attempts. Remember, they get paid by the hour and it's nothing to someone hearing someone else complain to put it on speaker for everyone to hear, and mute his side so you can't hear what they are all saying about you as you go on.

You should note; Yuneec uses a program that brings up the customer's name and other info when your caller ID number pops up. Call a few times and they answer the phone and greet you by name. Whatever info they have in that pop up file is dependent on what was input during your previous call. You might be noted as "nice person" or as someone like a part of the lower digestive tract. That reference will make a lot of difference when they pick up the phone. Sounds like the person you got through to was a professional.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital