Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3D Models and 2D Stitching

Reaction score
Hi Brains Trust.
I have been offed a job to take inspection photos of a sky needle . A fried is the project manager and he wants close up detailed images of various components.
He has also requested maybe a video of the structure so that they can watch back and pickup other things that maybe were missed.

so my question is

E90 or E50?

Do I take a video flying around the structure then fly around again taking photos?
Which setting would be best to use? 60FPS
Do you use photo capture in Video mode or use it in the dedicated photo mode?

To stitch a series of photos to make one large mosaic in 2D (is there an iPad app or Mac app or only Window.... and what are they)

To convert to a 3D model for use in Revit etc is there any free software?
It is a one off job so I could use DroneDeploy maybe in trial version to stitch it?

Sorry about all the questions but I am hoping to use it as a sample to help sell the H520 to people in the industry.

Thanks
Haydn

Hi Brains Trust.
I have been offed a job to take inspection photos of a sky needle . A fried is the project manager and he wants close up detailed images of various components.
He has also requested maybe a video of the structure so that they can watch back and pickup other things that maybe were missed.

so my question is

E90 or E50?

Do I take a video flying around the structure then fly around again taking photos?
Which setting would be best to use? 60FPS
Do you use photo capture in Video mode or use it in the dedicated photo mode?

To stitch a series of photos to make one large mosaic in 2D (is there an iPad app or Mac app or only Window.... and what are they)

To convert to a 3D model for use in Revit etc is there any free software?
It is a one off job so I could use DroneDeploy maybe in trial version to stitch it?

Sorry about all the questions but I am hoping to use it as a sample to help sell the H520 to people in the industry.

Thanks
Haydn

Everything indicates that for inspection the best option is the E50.

If you want 60fps has to be the E90, the E50 only supports 30fps.

According to this for video the E90 and for detailed pictures the E50? It would be a good solution.

For photogrammetry it is possible to use as source both images and video (the programs that support it). I choose Pix4D because it is the one that I have and know and if it supports video. Other posts have commented on other software, it's like any question of preferences but if you go to the best, in my opinion, Pix4D and Agisoft PhotoScan. For a specific job you can use the trial version which is 15 days and then decide.

If you are looking for free software here you have a list of many photogrammetry programs, you should look for more information.

Comparison of photogrammetry software - Wikipedia

It's a complex issue... I hope I gave you at least some hint :)

Hi Mate.
Have been concentrating on tall structures.
With the info you gave me today on GCOET if the needle has metal strut structure, ICE BLACK will look great.
Fly as close as can to top of needle, then back slow descent tilting camera as you go, creating effect of the prominence top of structure to base.
Early morning, late Afternoon as suns rays, bounce of Metal reflected light and shadow within structure gives great contrast.
You like me are not scared to ask questions.
Hearing good reports about H520.
Stable, Bigger engines, and iron out firmware, ideal commercial application.
I believe you have in stock and here in Australia we need the good Service you give.
Thank You
Lloyd.

Attachments

• Yu Yangs Promotion A to Z Aerial.jpg
    Yu Yangs Promotion A to Z Aerial.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Haydn
Only other thing I would offer:
Plan on making 1-2 flights just to check camera angles. Check how wind turbulence around the structure is going to affect you.
Not sure how tall the structure is, do you have enough battery time to fly to the top and film your way down, or vise versa.
Have an observer with binoculars. I almost got hung up on a 100' tower, hard to judge just how close you are to small antennas that high up.
Would love to see some of the shots you get when your done.

A thought about video speeds. The lower the frame rate the more data is captured in each frame. Personally, I would use a frame rate of 30 or less and keep pan/yaw moves as slow as practicable to minimize rolling shutter effects. For video the E-90 wins, for photos the E-50 has it even at only 12mpxl. The images will be much larger for the distance separation. If you can get within 20’ or so of the subject with the E-50 there will be no need for batch cropping. Using the E-90 the camera would need to be almost on the subject. At 20’ plus you would have to do a lot of cropping to bring the subject to a usable viewing size.

If you crop a 20 mpxl image 50% to double the subject size you’ll find the image resolution decreases considerably. Any time you can capture an image that is effective without cropping you’re way ahead.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surmount13