Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A solution for some GPS acquisition troubles

I’m experiencing the same thing as other in this thread. Haven’t flown in about a year. Took the H out in April in the yard to let it update the GPS data. Noticed then that “aquiring” was shown on the ST16. Didnt think anything of it. Yesterday charged up a battery and put it outside again to update the GPS so I could fly. Stuck on “aquiring” for several hours. Took the cover off and checked the small battery on the GPS module and it showed 2.3 V. Let the battery charge with the H in standby for a couple of hrs and checked the battery again. Now 2.6v. Did the refrigerator trick. Still the same. I notice when I turn off GPS on the ST16, the position shows up on the lower left side which is correct. Other thing is the motors won’t start with the GPS off. Just get 3 quick beeps. They won’t start with GPS on either but I figured they wouldn’t without “Ready” showing. So I ordered a new battery from Mouser $2 and will change it on the GPS module first and see what happens. If that doesn’t work maybe I can find a GPS module and possibly a FC board. Interesting we all have this same issue.
Jon

If it the H stays on "acquiring" it is most likely a bad FC. Let us know how this works out after changing the battery.

If it the H stays on "acquiring" it is most likely a bad FC. Let us know how this works out after changing the battery.
Thanks Steve. I’ve read that could be a possibility. Figured I’d try the relatively easy fix first. The H has been stored inside the house. Wonder what could cause the FC to just fail. Last time I flew (last year) everything seemed fine.

jon

Reactions: Steve Carr
It is baffling for sure. I might be worth the effort to remove and reinstall the FC since you have the cover removed.

Thanks, I’ll try that. If the flight controller is bad, any recommendations on where to get a new one? I see some on eBay. Price vary’s wildly..

I have the Flight Controllers In Stock for the Typhoon H/H-Pro, and if you find it was not your Problem, send it Back to Me and I will Refund the Purchase Price, or Exchange it for the ESC if that turns out to be your Issue.....;)

Reactions: Jom and Mike Irish
I have the Flight Controllers In Stock for the Typhoon H/H-Pro, and if you find it was not your Problem, send it Back to Me and I will Refund the Purchase Price, or Exchange it for the ESC if that turns out to be your Issue.....;)
Thanks. Will know more tomorrow.

Jon

Well, still no positive results. Yesterday I removed the flight controller and re seated it again as Steve suggested, then I plugged the H into the computer and GUI. All the sensor information was checked green. I could even run the motor test without issue. When I picked up the H, and tilted and turned it, the sensor info would change just as I would expect. The GPS module was also showing checked green. Today I changed the battery on the GPS board. I let the H sit outside for about 30min to download all the GPS info. Turned it off and back on. GPS is still stuck on acquiring. So even though through the GUI it seems the FC is fine and all the sensor info is also good, maybe the next thing to try is to change out the FC. Oh I should also mention that when powered on the FC board has red and blue blinking lights.

I also noticed that when I removed the GPS module that the arrow on the board was facing towards the rear of the top cap which make sense as the wires come out of the foil shielding in the rear. I thought I had read that the arrow should be pointing towards the front of top cap. Anyone know which way its supposed to be pointed?

So I ordered a FC and GPS module from yuneecskins. I'll try changing both to see if it clears up the issue with the GPS "acquire"

Lastly I was reading a PDF file about the H GPS unit on the Yuneecskins site. Apparently there are 3 firmware versions of the GPS module. The older GPS modules may not really be compatible with the last/latest firmware that is available for the H. I probably have an older version the GPS since I bought my H in early 2016. I also have added the real sense module and have the last/latest firmware update. Maybe that explains something too about my GPS issue. I would occasionally get GPS fail while flying and have seen the erratic behavior while landing mentioned in the PDF.

Jon

Last edited:
The arrow on the GPS board should point to the rear of the aircraft.

When you let the TH sit out to charge the GPS battery and acquire satellites, do you also let the ST16 do the same? It also has to acquire GPS position to get the GPS Ready signal. How many satellites do you get on the ST16 and on the TH?

Reactions: Jom and Steve Carr
The arrow on the GPS board should point to the rear of the aircraft.

When you let the TH sit out to charge the GPS battery and acquire satellites, do you also let the ST16 do the same? It also has to acquire GPS position to get the GPS Ready signal. How many satellites do you get on the ST16 and on the TH?
Yep the ST 16 was also outside. 15 satellites on the H and 12-14 on the ST16. I did this after I had changed the battery on the gps module. The new gps module battery was reading 2.9v after I installed it.
Jon

Thanks for the info about the arrow on the gps board. It’s pointing to the rear.

Jon

Definitely pointing toward the FC as the culprit.
I should mention, I have a couple of very early H models from Jun, 2016. They have current firmware and have no problem with GPS or any other glitches.

Reactions: Jom and DoomMeister
Definitely pointing toward the FC as the culprit.
I should mention, I have a couple of very early H models from Jun, 2016. They have current firmware and have no problem with GPS or any other glitches.
I think so too. Will report back after I install the new FC.

Jon

Got the Replacement FC and GPS module today from YuneecSkins. All is now working and “ready” shows on the GPS. Once I did the compass calibration all was good. Firmware was up to date and the H didn’t need to be binded again. Happy Camper..

Jon

Having the same "Acquiring" issue... Have bought (on eBay) and replaced the FC - without any result... (If anyone is interested - have TH FC for sale )))

Did anyone have found the causing reason for this glitch? Freezing doesn't work, replacing the GPS battery doesn't work.... Yuneec is silent about the issue.....

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
Have bought (on eBay) and replaced the FC - without any result
If you bought the FC and it didn't fix the problem then maybe the FC you bought had the same problem. I have seen used (but defective) parts sold on eBay many times. Many times the seller doesn't realize the part is faulty.

In any case you should explain exactly what you are seeing on the controller.

In any case you should explain exactly what you are seeing on the controller.

The symptoms are the same as described previously - Acquiring forever, and when I disable the GPS from the controller - correct coordinates are being shown on the screen, but as soon as I turn GPS back on - "Acquiring" status is coming back too... Left the TH on to charge the GPS battery, it was on 1.5 volts. Today going to try again, when it will get charged.

UPD: The item description on Ebay was saying: " Condition is Tested - Open Box (Removed from a working factory return unit). :

Last edited:
UPD: The item description on Ebay was saying: " Condition is Tested - Open Box (Removed from a working factory return unit). :
The only way to test a Flight Controller is to install it and do a flight of at least 14 min. I suspect whoever did the testing simply installed it in an H and verified it booted up. Doing so would not reveal the problem. It may have been the reason the kit was returned.

While it is possible there is another cause for the "Acquiring" problem, I have only seen it fixed by installing a known good FC.

Yesterday's test was a success. Charging the battery by leaving TH on for a couple of hours did the trick, GPS status has changed from Acquiring to Ready. Beginning to suspect that changing the FC wasn't necessary... Anyways. Happy Camper, as they say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval