Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Advice On Follow Me or Watch Me 4K

Reaction score
I've been creating automotive/motorcycle videos for a couple of years as a hobby. (Definitely not a pro) I use Sony Mirrorless cams and other pro gear for my features. I have been using a crane jib for aerial shots but, now I have a Q500 4K!

I got a drone to add some aerial shots in my next features. It will be mostly 10 % B roll shots. Does anyone know how this system tracks the receiver? Is it GPS, Radio etc? My flying skills are not high enough yet and not feeling confident following an expensive buddy's car with the drone. I was thinking of riding in the car as a passenger. Will the drone be able to detect me in there? Of course I would have all windows and/or sunroof open.

I understand we would need to keep our speed below 15 MPH with no obstacles! I wanted to try this yesterday with my own car but didn't feel it was safe by myself. Thanks!

Here is a sample of my vids.

Reactions: Yuneecdion
I understand it uses GPS on transmitter and q500 to stay at preset distance or controlled distances and angles if you are working the sticks....
If you have the new software 1.07 it will do 22 mph in watch me follow me smart mode.
I tested mine while my wife drove the car.
Put the q500 up high and test it out....just keep the antennas pointed toward the q500 and don't try and fly it directly overhead on the smart mode....it will stay about 26 feet away from transmitter (even if its 30 to 400 feet high!) to avoid any close flying and may fly irratically when flying close, to maintain the 26 foot safe zone radius.
Also dont drive uphill unless you're ready to increase the altitude as needed.

As a test try putting it in smart mode, go up to 200 feet altitude, and start walking/running for five minutes.....it gets some impressive shots that you can determine which heights/angles will work good for the car shots

I understand it uses GPS on transmitter and q500 to stay at preset distance or controlled distances and angles if you are working the sticks....
If you have the new software 1.07 it will do 22 mph in watch me follow me smart mode.
I tested mine while my wife drove the car.
Put the q500 up high and test it out....just keep the antennas pointed toward the q500 and don't try and fly it directly overhead on the smart mode....it will stay about 26 feet away from transmitter (even if its 30 to 400 feet high!) to avoid any close flying and may fly irratically when flying close, to maintain the 26 foot safe zone radius.
Also dont drive uphill unless you're ready to increase the altitude as needed.

As a test try putting it in smart mode, go up to 200 feet altitude, and start walking/running for five minutes.....it gets some impressive shots that you can determine which heights/angles will work good for the car shots

Thank you! I was just watching one of the promo Hollywood style videos on the Q500 4K and the VP of Yuneec states it will change altitude with you as you go up or down but manual says no. In another video by a dealer, the drone seems to be only 2 feet away from a guy riding a scooter! Probably an crop trick in post? Thanks for this very useful info though. Going to take out my buddy's vintage Porsche tomorrow. I better upgrade my insurance policy! :p

You can fake out the viewer by flying around to establish that a drone is shooting, then let the scooter go out of frame, then stop the scooter turn off the q500, pick up the q500, then start recording again (no need to turn on the motors) holding it two feet out like a drone is flying next to you and do a handheld drone selfie shot! Then go back to a flying drone circling shot, or something to seamlessly tie the shots together....this may be a little tricky on a scooter, but you can use a similar technique to make it look like you flew right into your house or building (but safely of course because you are holding the drone....or use the steadygrip mounted onto a monopod. ....only needs to be eight feet high for some good running shots that looks like it was done on a drone! I did this at a recent mud run to simulate the drone right in and above the crowds of running athletes )

Reactions: Copper Angel
You can fake out the viewer by flying around to establish that a drone is shooting, then let the scooter go out of frame, then stop the scooter turn off the q500, pick up the q500, then start recording again (no need to turn on the motors) holding it two feet out like a drone is flying next to you and do a handheld drone selfie shot! Then go back to a flying drone circling shot, or something to seamlessly tie the shots together....this may be a little tricky on a scooter, but you can use a similar technique to make it look like you flew right into your house or building (but safely of course because you are holding the drone....or use the steadygrip mounted onto a monopod. ....only needs to be eight feet high for some good running shots that looks like it was done on a drone! I did this at a recent mud run to simulate the drone right in and above the crowds of running athletes )

LOL, I see! So those close ups on the guy on a scooter were probably not the drone, rather the hand held device inside a car.. Thanks for all your very useful info. I posted a quick teaser vid in the video section. Thanks again!

Thank you! I was just watching one of the promo Hollywood style videos on the Q500 4K and the VP of Yuneec states it will change altitude with you as you go up or down but manual says no. In another video by a dealer, the drone seems to be only 2 feet away from a guy riding a scooter! Probably an crop trick in post? Thanks for this very useful info though. Going to take out my buddy's vintage Porsche tomorrow. I better upgrade my insurance policy! :p

Yeah, the altitude in follow me won't change while using the ST10+, but it is supposed to when using the Wizard in follow me mode. I haven't tried follow me yet with the wizard, just the TX while I was on my ATV on a flat dry lake bed. So cool!!

Yeah, the altitude in follow me won't change while using the ST10+, but it is supposed to when using the Wizard in follow me mode. I haven't tried follow me yet with the wizard, just the TX while I was on my ATV on a flat dry lake bed. So cool!!

Very cool! I think I'll have to spring for a Wizard instead of a 3rd battery!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval