Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

After upgrading my ST16 do I need to do a firmware upgrade?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just a quuck question for anyone who upgraded their ST16 to have the 3rd Antenna and or upgraded their Typhoon H to have the 2 external telemetry antennas...

Did you reinstall or upgrade your firmware as well, or did everything work just fine once you had done the upgrade?
It seems Im having some issues with mine.

Moving the controller antenna is not related to firmware or calibrations.
I'm not sure what you meant by "upgraded their Typhoon H to have the 2 external telemetry antennas". Please help us understand what you did here.

Also, please describe the issues you are seeing.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Hey thanks for responding.
I did the mod that moves the 2 telemetry antennas on the H unit itself and makes then proper antennas on the outside of it.
I followed youtube vids to a T, So it should have been done right.
I ailso installed a 4hawks antenna to the ST16.

My issues have me worried a little.. after re binding with my ST16 (which seems to have worked because I can control the camera),
I cant start the H by using the red button.... And.. this freaked me out.... after turning off the ST16 my H started up by itself..as in the motors... Once inside.. then again outside. Outside it lifted about 4 foot off the ground. I grabbed it and removed the battery.
Outside I had done a GPS calibration just before it.

Attachments

• 20210214_015545.jpg
    20210214_015545.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
There is an Accelerometer calibration and a compass calibration, but no GPS calibration. So I am assuming you did the compass calibration where you rotate the aircraft on three different axes two times.

B1 not arming/disarming the motors is disturbing and the motors starting on there own is really disturbing.

At this point my suggestion is to upload your FlightLog files using the directions found in Attachment 59 of https://yuneecpilots.com/attachments/wtfdproject-rev74-pdf.24804/ so we can review it.

Hey thanks for responding.
I did the mod that moves the 2 telemetry antennas on the H unit itself and makes then proper antennas on the outside of it.
I followed youtube vids to a T, So it should have been done right.
This one is very strange. It matches no previous symptoms I am aware of. The key piece we need is the flight logs.
But I am still uncertain what you did with the antennas on the TH itself, other than the picture you posted above. Can you post the link to the YouTube video you followed?

Reactions: Seachange01
This one is very strange. It matches no previous symptoms I am aware of. The key piece we need is the flight logs.
But I am still uncertain what you did with the antennas on the TH itself, other than the picture you posted above. Can you post the link to the YouTube video you followed?
Absolutely, and flight logs are on the way too.. The H literally would start up as soon as I used the power off switch on my ST16.. which indoors I thought was weird.. but wasn't a hassle as I didn't have the props on... I had assumed maybe the issue was because I was indoors with no GPS signal, so maybe it would be better outdoors.

I went out, did the compass calibration.. had props on.. same thing.. couldn't start it.. even tried the task mode take off... nothing... but once I powered down the ST16... boom the props fired up and then it lifted about 4 foot high and hovered. REALLY freaky! I am just hoping I haven't put it back together wrong.

Some videos for the antenna's on the H itself are:-

or

Reactions: WTFDproject
Sorry for the delay, it seems my ST16 doesn't like me using the USB cable from my phone, or even the one that came with the Typhoon H. It only seems to want to see them as charging cables, not data.
So, I emailed this to myself to post here from the browser in the tablet.

Attachments

• Myflightlog.zip
    12.7 MB · Views: 7
The last time your ST16 had B1 working correctly was flight 00073 on Jan 22, 2021. The next time there was any telemetry was between then and today Feb 14, 2021, and the Remote_xxxxx.csv files show a value of 0.0 for CH0 (CH1 on the Final Output display - double tap the Volts icon on the upper left of the ST16). This indicates that B1 is stuck in the pressed position.

Please go power on the ST16 only and double tap Volts to bring up the display. CH1 should be reading 50% with the left stick centered and B1 not pressed. When B1 is pressed it should read -25%, with the Rate slider at full rabbit you should get !00% with J1 full up and 0% with J1 full down. Please report your results.
1706C825-313D-421B-B17D-CC18CFACD2A8.jpeg

While moving J1 make sure nothing else changes value. Also move the Rate slider, Tilt slider, Pan knob, and the other sticks and make sure they do not change the value on CH1.

Last edited:
I was just looking at your fsk_rssi readings and there is a weak signal to/from the aircraft. It is in the 50's when you are only 4 meters from the aircraft and using the 4Hawks. Even if you are pointed away from the aircraft you should have a better signal at that distance. It should be in the 20's or 30's at that range. There is also a lot of drop to the wifi redundancy, which usually only occurs with a weak RC connection.

Hmmm,
sounds like I may need to open up the ST16 and make sure its all tightly wired the way its meant to be and that nothing has come undone?
None of the other buttons made any difference to the value of the first one when moving them.
This pic is of my values all at rest.. as in when I am not touching/moving anything.

Attachments

• green sliders.jpg
    green sliders.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
CH1 is showing that B1 is pressed. It is possible the wired got pinched and shorted or that the switch is not plugged in. I am not certain if the switch is normally open or normally closed. If @Steve Carr or @WTFDproject were on right now they could probably tell us which it is. When you open the ST16 take photos of the B1 wire harness, and the layout of your antenna modification. Which wires are going to which position on the outside. I'll be up for a while and can assist.

CH1 is showing that B1 is pressed. It is possible the wired got pinched and shorted or that the switch is not plugged in. I am not certain if the switch is normally open or normally closed. If @Steve Carr or @WTFDproject were on right now they could probably tell us which it is. When you open the ST16 take photos of the B1 wire harness, and the layout of your antenna modification. Which wires are going to which position on the outside. I'll be up for a while and can assist.
Hey thanks soooo much, seriously, this is awesome of you to give so much assistance.
I won't be able to get it opened up today, but I absolutely will tomorrow and will post pics of what I find.
I'm just glad its not something as simple as not having bound it properly when re binding etc.
(I would have felt like a goose even more than I do now) ;)
Have a great day.
Alan

I had confirmation from @WTFDproject that B1 is a NO (normally open) switch, so if it was unplugged CH1 would only respond to J1. This means that the switch is jammed in the closed position or the wires are shorted together (pinched).

Reactions: Seachange01
You are up early according to the time of your Like on the previous post. What would be a good time to work on this with you? Do you have a multimeter to use?

Hey :)
Yeah I am up, just making a start on pulling the ST16 apart now. I don't have a multi meter.. mainly cause I dont know if I would know how to use it if I did ;) But, I am not against buying one at all and learning lol. If you think its something I should do, I will head out to a hardware store today and grab one.
I should have the ST16 opened up in an hour or so.
Thanks,
Alan

I'm back and ready when you are. A multimeter is a good tool to have and there are decent ones at most handyman stores, but it may not be necessary for this at this point.

I'm back and ready when you are. A multimeter is a good tool to have and there are decent ones at most handyman stores, but it may not be necessary for this at this point.
So I found my first problem... Which should hopefully explain the low antenna reception... The clip I installed had popped off, so I need to clip it back on and make sure I hear and feel that "click".
This is a pic of my ST16 opened up, I havent done anything except see the wire that had pooped off, and move the battery line out the way.
Let me know if you need closer up pics or anything.

Attachments

• 20210215_073951.jpg
    20210215_073951.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 25
Boooooom!
Problem found. I had pinched the line that goes to the red starter button. I can see where it had gotten right under where a screw holds the ST16 case together. Now I am just hoping if I move it that Its not too damaged. At least it won't be shorting against a screw anymore.
I will try to run some electrical tape around the red and black lines to keep them seperated.

Attachments

• 20210215_075051.jpg
    20210215_075051.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 15

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis