Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Airline travel....checking vs carry on

Reaction score
I would love to be confident that whatever travel case I find for my H will fit in an overhead bin regardless of airline or plane...however...as an alternative....would it be safe if I put it in a pelican case as a checked bag? Or regardless of how well its packed, could something end up damaged?

If you have seen the way UPS treats packages you would not be worried if you have a decent hard shell case. Make sure to put the gimbal holder in place though...

I am traveling out of country next week and was stressing over this issue. There is no way in **** I am checking in my baby, I might never see her again. I purchased this carry on bag from amazon and it fits perfectly!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
Reactions: Richy
I am traveling out of country next week and was stressing over this issue. There is no way in **** I am checking in my baby, I might never see her again. I purchased this carry on bag from amazon and it fits perfectly!!!
What's the name of the bag

same question name of the bag if you dont mind... im flying out in 3 weeks and im defintley not checking my typhoon in

There are suggestions for carry on in this thread.
I dont know if the item described above is one of them but these seem to work as was pointed out in the video.

You'll need some foam in that puppy.

I really don't see how you can carry it on unless you put the H into some type of soft sided bag and stow it under the seat in front of you where your feet would go. You would need to take any spare batteries with you on board but you could pack the ST-16, charger, and any other items in your other luggage. I purchased a Pelican 1610 which is made very well and can be locked with TSA approved locks. It can hold the H, ST 16, and all of the accessories and I will check it as luggage. Will still need to carry batteries on board.

CarolinaDronz went to Iceland with this bag
Video
I'll be interested to see their follow up video about the pros and cons of this bag....especially how well it protected the drone and how well it fit.

for me:
1. I do not want to disassemble my H in order to pack it
2. I will not take my H in a soft-sided bag and risk it getting crushed by someone else who is trying to fit their oversized bag next to mine
3. every dimension of the H exceeds the height limit (9") of a carry on....maybe with some wiggling it will go in, but with my luck it won't and it'll get thrown below

What is the height of the bag? What is the height of your airlines carry-on rule?

I was able to sneak the Yuneec TH backpack onto two American Airlines Airbus A319 planes. It was a very tight fit in the overhead bin (height), but my seat mate still had room for his roll-aboard bag.

They didn't seem to pay much attention to it because it was a backpack, but if asked to put it in the sizer you'd certainly have to check it.

BTW the Typhoon looks insane on the x-ray machine - they bag inspected it both ways.

I also received the Samsonite bag which is shown in the Carolina Dronz video which PRnNJs Finest also seems to be planning to use. I think it will work fine.

Couple of thoughts.
1. This Samsonite bag is named as an "Underseater" bag and is typically used by travelers as their "personal bag", not their carry-on bag. Several people have cited the carry-on bag size limits (though they vary somewhat between airlines), but that is not typically applied to a personal bag. Before ordering it I read numerous reviews and responses to questions (posted links to those before) and numerous people said they never had a problem taking it on board with them and not one person said they did have a problem.
2. I'll probably add some foam to mine before flying but it's not all that critical when I'm carrying it carefully and keeping it within reach at all times.
3. Larger cases such as the Pelican 1610 are nice cases and, yes, they can be locked with TSA approved locks. However, numerous airport employees have keys for such locks and, IMO, any bag with a lock on it is like a bold sign telling any dishonest airport employee that this case has items worth stealing.
4. I am not a gun "nut" but, if I were to use something like a Pelican 1610 and was traveling within the USA to a state where I could legally possess a handgun, I would pack one of my handguns in my case and lock it with a lock that only I have a key to or a combination lock that only I know the combination to. Such a lock is a specific FAA requirement for transporting firearms on airlines (have also posted a link to this before).
5. Ideally, I'd like to find an aluminum case that is 22" x 14" x 9" and create a foam insert for it that would allow me to pack my TH with landing gear up, front and rear prop arms partially down, and camera removed. I've looked and not found such a case. I don't want a case with a pull-out handle as this takes up valuable space from the inside dimensions of the case.

Just my 2 cents.

Harvey beat me to the punch and he is correct. I went on Amazon and typed Samsonite Under Seat bag Large and it comes up. Everything fits well and snugged in it given the Typhoon no wiggle room and security. As Harvey stated, I plan to have eyes on it at all times and will cover the ST-16 and Typhoon with a shirt. I am flying on United and their carry on rules are no more than 45 linear inches.

Harvey beat me to the punch and he is correct. I went on Amazon and typed Samsonite Under Seat bag Large and it comes up. Everything fits well and snugged in it given the Typhoon no wiggle room and security. As Harvey stated, I plan to have eyes on it at all times and will cover the ST-16 and Typhoon with a shirt. I am flying on United and their carry on rules are no more than 45 linear inches.
I also received the Samsonite bag which is shown in the Carolina Dronz video which PRnNJs Finest also seems to be planning to use. I think it will work fine.

Couple of thoughts.
1. This Samsonite bag is named as an "Underseater" bag and is typically used by travelers as their "personal bag", not their carry-on bag. Several people have cited the carry-on bag size limits (though they vary somewhat between airlines), but that is not typically applied to a personal bag.

Just my 2 cents.

United's personal is even more restrictive than carry-on!

Personal item
photo_backpack_size.jpg

The maximum dimensions for your personal item, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item, are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm).

Those limits are not typically applied to a personal bag. I didn't say they didn't have stated limits. I've flown United many times with a backpack larger than those stated limits, never with a problem. If I'm willing to take up foot space with a bag and it's able to fit under the seat, it's not a problem. Greg - you are very argumentative on this despite people reporting great success with the use of such bags. What's your motive in being so negative?

Not trying to be negative, just want others that may not fly often to understand the issue and risk. It is a calculated risk and may work most of the time. I would hate to see someones pride and joy get thrown below when it is not packed for that abuse.

It could be a major problem for the unprepared to get to the door or on the plane and then have a crew member tell them that that their bag is too big or that it can't go under the seat and that they have to gate check it.

I have seen it happen especially on full flights to late boarders when the ovehead is full. The smaller regionals don't have much room under seat. Fly first class and probably never have a problem!

Cheers

To Greg's point, my wife and I fly often (business) and especially when on smaller regional planes, roller type bags (or a luggage type bag of larger proportions) will almost always be requested to be checked as the overhead storage is not large bag accommodating and the foot space is very small. Even in first class.
Late comers will almost always be asked to check their bags if it is not a duffle type bag.
That being said, my wife being the more experience flier will always opt to stand by the gangway entrance well before boarding time just so she can be first on the plane to get that precious overhead storage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval