Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Altitude and distance glitch?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I bought My H for fathers day this yr and have about 68 flights and 2 crashes under my belt so I thought it was about time I posted something!
Before anyone says "upload the telemetry" I just have a quick couple of questions.
1) Both of my batteries are swollen, they came with the drone. 1 gives about 7-10 minutes the other10-15minutes. I trust neither and am in the market for quality replacements. My first question is have we found that "1" factory spec or better replacement yet? I really dont want to "cobble" batteries and makeshift harnesses together if there is an alternative.
2) Took her up the other day but before I did I took a minute or so to really look at my St 16 especially the altimeter and distance. Both fluctuated!!! let me take this time to say I neither moved the controller nor myself. When I say fluctuate I mean like 3-4ft in altitude and 10 or more in distance!!! I read somewhere else where a pilot said he would let his drone sit for a few minutes just so it could aclimate itself to its surroundings. Is this normal? Just for the record I fly this place often and I always do a compass calibration 1st, because my drone seems to require one. I admit I dont always do the altimeter. I cant wait to read the groups responses. Thanks Guys, and Gals!

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
The altimeter reading is primarily based on a barometric sensor. They are not precise instruments and only provide a rough altitude. They are affected by temperature. A variation of 3-4' is actually pretty good.

The distance is a calculation of the difference between the GPS on the H and the GPS on the Controller. Anything that affects the GPS reception will also affect the calculated distance. The GPS location of the controller will be a bit less accurate than the GPS of the H. The GPS antenna is just below the screen near the bottom of the ST16. So your body tends to block the view of the sky.

It is not necessary to do a compass cal before each flight. In fact, I recommend NOT doing so. It is simply recording the difference in magnetic declination at your location on Earth. That changes very little over hundreds of miles. The calibration is stored on the aircraft. If you have a good calibration, leave it alone. Each time you repeat it, you take a chance on getting a bad calibration.

You are wise to replace those batteries. The time will come when the H type batteries will not be produced by anyone and we will all be doing a mod on our aircraft to use off-the-shelf Lipo's. That will actually be a good thing.

Last edited:
Both of my batteries are swollen, they came with the drone. 1 gives about 7-10 minutes the other10-15minutes. I trust neither and am in the market for quality replacements. My first question is have we found that "1" factory spec or better replacement yet? I really dont want to "cobble" batteries and makeshift harnesses together if there is an alternative.

That sounds unusual. From my experience the Yuneec Batteries are quiet good. I have five right now and all of them perform at least ok even though I got them all used. Actually I got a lot more but several of them were already used up but it was a very good deal and I tested them all before I used them. No wonder since they have been thrown away by others. 68 flights on two batteries are not a lot. They should not cause any trouble by now. Are you sure you have handled them properly? LiPo batteries are very sensitive to being discharged beyond a certain threshold or being stored fully charged over long periods of time.

Took her up the other day but before I did I took a minute or so to really look at my St 16 especially the altimeter and distance. Both fluctuated!!! let me take this time to say I neither moved the controller nor myself. When I say fluctuate I mean like 3-4ft in altitude and 10 or more in distance!!! I read somewhere else where a pilot said he would let his drone sit for a few minutes just so it could aclimate itself to its surroundings. Is this normal? Just for the record I fly this place often and I always do a compass calibration 1st, because my drone seems to require one. I admit I dont always do the altimeter.

How many sattelites did your remote as well as the Typhoon H find? If the GPS lock is poor it might drift a little. Espacially when you are under trees or close to high buildings you might experience this. Has it been sitting a while before you used it? After sitting for more than about 6 months, the GPS will "forget" the sattelites and has to find them all again. Usually they are stored so the connection will be way faster. When they are not stored it might take up to 15 minutes to acquire GPS lock.

A slight drift of altitude is not unusual. The barometers are not 100% accurate. I would not worry about that. Although turbulences and other effects can confuse the sensors a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Irish
Hi everyone! I bought My H for fathers day this yr and have about 68 flights and 2 crashes under my belt so I thought it was about time I posted something!
Before anyone says "upload the telemetry" I just have a quick couple of questions.
1) Both of my batteries are swollen, they came with the drone. 1 gives about 7-10 minutes the other10-15minutes. I trust neither and am in the market for quality replacements. My first question is have we found that "1" factory spec or better replacement yet? I really dont want to "cobble" batteries and makeshift harnesses together if there is an alternative.
2) Took her up the other day but before I did I took a minute or so to really look at my St 16 especially the altimeter and distance. Both fluctuated!!! let me take this time to say I neither moved the controller nor myself. When I say fluctuate I mean like 3-4ft in altitude and 10 or more in distance!!! I read somewhere else where a pilot said he would let his drone sit for a few minutes just so it could aclimate itself to its surroundings. Is this normal? Just for the record I fly this place often and I always do a compass calibration 1st, because my drone seems to require one. I admit I dont always do the altimeter. I cant wait to read the groups responses. Thanks Guys, and Gals!
no need for new calibrations when you go out to the same place... should hold that in memory from previous... as for your batteries... yes
you should probably think about new ones soon... also, one thing I've done in regards to the gps... I've been flying my original Q500 for years now and I've also replaced the small battery that's on the gps module... yes, they are supposed to recharge when you power it on
but they to are batteries and can get weak or bad at age... one of the batteries that most don't think about... especially if you start to have
location problems...

2) Took her up the other day but before I did I took a minute or so to really look at my St 16 especially the altimeter and distance. Both fluctuated!!! let me take this time to say I neither moved the controller nor myself. When I say fluctuate I mean like 3-4ft in altitude and 10 or more in distance!!! I read somewhere else where a pilot said the
GiFi 8050 Battery
Keith Kuhn he would let his drone sit for a few minutes just so it could aclimate itself to its surroundings. Is this normal? Just for the record I fly this place often and I always do a compass calibration 1st, because my drone seems to require one. I admit I dont always do the altimeter. I cant wait to read the groups responses. Thanks Guys, and Gals!

I have been having luck with
GiFi 8050 Battery
Keith Kuhn

As far as the altimeter mine does the same thing.

I have actually thought about tying a hundred foot piece of string kite string to see how accurate the altimeter is once I Mark the string off 100 feet just out of curiosity.
If I do this I will let you know how accurate it comes out.
Keith Kuhn

Reactions: phoonflyer
I have been having luck with
GiFi 8050 Battery
Keith Kuhn
Ive seen them and was curious if anyone had any luck with them. thanks kevin!
The altimeter reading is primarily based on a barometric sensor. They are not precise instruments and only provide a rough altitude. They are affected by temperature. A variation of 3-4' is actually pretty good.

The distance is a calculation of the difference between the GPS on the H and the GPS on the Controller. Anything that affects the GPS reception will also affect the calculated distance. The GPS location of the controller will be a bit less accurate than the GPS of the H. The GPS antenna is just below the screen near the bottom of the ST16. So your body tends to block the view of the sky.

It is not necessary to do a compass cal before each flight. In fact, I recommend NOT doing so. It is simply recording the difference in magnetic declination at your location on Earth. That changes very little over hundreds of miles. The calibration is stored on the aircraft. If you have a good calibration, leave it alone. Each time you repeat it, you take a chance on getting a bad calibration.

You are wise to replace those batteries. The time will come when the H type batteries will not be produced by anyone and we will all be doing a mod on our aircraft to use off-the-shelf Lipo's. That will actually be a good thing.
I also noticed on lift off that my battery showed 16.2 volts how is that possible!?!

As far as the altimeter mine does the same thing.

I have actually thought about tying a hundred foot piece of string kite string to see how accurate the altimeter is once I Mark the string off 100 feet just out of curiosity.
If I do this I will let you know how accurate it comes out.
Keith Kuhn
Great idea! Glad im not the only one.

That sounds unusual. From my experience the Yuneec Batteries are quiet good. I have five right now and all of them perform at least ok even though I got them all used. Actually I got a lot more but several of them were already used up but it was a very good deal and I tested them all before I used them. No wonder since they have been thrown away by others. 68 flights on two batteries are not a lot. They should not cause any trouble by now. Are you sure you have handled them properly? LiPo batteries are very sensitive to being discharged beyond a certain threshold or being stored fully charged over long periods of time.

How many sattelites did your remote as well as the Typhoon H find? If the GPS lock is poor it might drift a little. Espacially when you are under trees or close to high buildings you might experience this. Has it been sitting a while before you used it? After sitting for more than about 6 months, the GPS will "forget" the sattelites and has to find them all again. Usually they are stored so the connection will be way faster. When they are not stored it might take up to 15 minutes to acquire GPS lock.

A slight drift of altitude is not unusual. The barometers are not 100% accurate. I would not worry about that. Although turbulences and other effects can confuse the sensors a little.
I bought the gps 3d printed tower mod so my antena has been relocated. I averaged 12-14 sats before. Now flying in the same places I always fly, I'm 15-17 at ground level and as many as 19-22 in flght!!! I still get compass errors the closer I get to the ground. im pretty sure its environmental more than mechanical. I travel alot so when I take the drone 2-300 miles I do a calibration. Primarily because my second flight ended in a toilet bowl crash into the ground that was due, imo to 2 things.
1) It was delivered from more than 900 miles from where I lived and I literally took it out of the box and threw it in the air!
2) Flying low over a metal dumpster and chain link fence! (magnetic interference was the cause of my second crash also)

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I bought the gps 3d printed tower mod so my antena has been relocated. I averaged 12-14 sats before. Now flying in the same places I always fly, I'm 15-17 at ground level and as many as 19-22 in flght!!! I still get compass errors the closer I get to the ground. im pretty sure its environmental more than mechanical. I travel alot so when I take the drone 2-300 miles I do a calibration. Primarily because my second flight ended in a toilet bowl crash into the ground that was due, imo to 2 things.
1) It was delivered from more than 900 miles from where I lived and I literally took it out of the box and threw it in the air!
2) Flying low over a metal dumpster and chain link fence! (magnetic interference was the cause of my second crash also)

sounds good like you did a very thorough thought process into why your drone does what it does I agree with many of your points there.

I also put the tower on my drone she'll not sure if it helped or not but the last crash I had I did not put it back on so we'll see how this session goes.

I just did not feel like drilling a hole in my new top shell but if I must I must and I will.
Keith Kuhn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval