Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another thought.......

Yes, I’ll look for the telemetry file and the 720p video on the ST-16, hopefully later today.

First order of business today is meeting with the tree service to get my bird out of the tree. They said no problem and I’ll likely meet them at 1-2pm on location.
Good Luck Ron. Bring her home!

Thanks, wings.

I used to be an avid road cyclist. We had a saying, "there are two types of roadies - those who have crashed and those who are about to". I think it applies to flying drones/RC aircraft as well. :)

Reactions: Ty Pilot
North Carolina :D . NC is the official US Postal abbreviation . ;)

Just north of Charlotte, North Carolina

One possibility that might be responsible for recent strange occurrences would be the solar storm that arrived at our fair planet on Thursday the 15th. It definitely affected some of our computers and electronics that we use at the plant as well as jacking up my satellite TV signal. That might well be the culprit with rdonson's flyaway, judging just by the timing.

I "love" the US guys, you take for granted that everyone in the world ofcourse know all the your abbreviations you use... Guess that NC stands for "No Comment" or is it North Carolina... :)

;) and where in the world are you???? :D

One possibility that might be responsible for recent strange occurrences would be the solar storm that arrived at our fair planet on Thursday the 15th. It definitely affected some of our computers and electronics that we use at the plant as well as jacking up my satellite TV signal. That might well be the culprit with rdonson's flyaway, judging just by the timing.

That's a possibility.

BTW, I've just retrieved the telemetry file and 720p video from the controller. Its not fun to watch the flyaway into the pine tree. On a positive note the video of the branches and needles are tack sharp where it came to roost. That means the camera isn't damaged (I hope).

FWIW I was flying visually at the time with the camera pointed at the ground. I did look down and see the GPS error message and then back to visual.

Last edited:
Dang sorry to hear this Ron. Hope you get the bird back and in the air soon

Wow, that is really upsetting. Ron, still being knew to the H I thought that if you lost GPS the drone would still fly ok but you would just have to be involved more in keeping the bird steady. Can a simple loss of GPS lead to the fly away?

If the Typhoon H is in GPS mode, it is relying on it to navigate. When the message "loss of GPS signal" appears, it does not mean it was turned off; but more like, the data to fly by GPS is incomplete or incorrect - and consequently the Typhoon H is now using this incomplete or incorrect data to fly - away possibly. The only solution is to now pull up the little fly out menu and turn it off which; when you're watching your aircraft head away and possibly into a structure or tree or worse, is near impossible the first time it is encountered.

I would think that it would be a fairly simple software fix to have this signal trigger the ST16 to turn off the GPS. It would be so much easier to feel that awful transmitter shaker and see the warning but the aircraft just staying put in the sky rather than flying away at speed with little or no control.

Thanks, Pat.

Yes, that would be a preferred solution and as you say likely a simple software fix. Especially as that's the behavior for my friend's DJI Mavic.

I'm glad to hear your flight was successful. I flew around 1pm ET. I had 5 batts charged up and ready to hone some video skills but then things went south about 8 min into the first flight.

Fortunately, solar storms are not real common. There are usually several a year and they frequently miss us altogether. This one scored a little more solid hit than usual. There was one recorded in the late nineteenth century that was so severe it caused fires in telegraph offices. I'm sure your experience with the flyaway was pretty awful, but I am certainly glad to hear that you got your aircraft back. Here's hoping for minimal (or hopefully no) damage.

Jim

NB: I'm a novice at reading the telemetry data files

Looking at the file from this flyaway I can see where the first instance of concern is
"gps_used" goes from "true" to "false" and
"gps_status" went from "1" to "0".
At that same time it shows "salellites_num" at "18".
"error_flags1" changes from "0" to "32" about 1/4 sec before "gps_used" goes to "false"
strangely "error_flags1" changes back to "0" in less than a second

At this point it definitely looks like the GPS had an error even though it saw 18 satellites. "gps_used" toggles between "true" and "false" from the first point of "false" until the end of the flight.

Anything else I should be looking for?

I'm glad to hear your flight was successful. I flew around 1pm ET. I had 5 batts charged up and ready to hone some video skills but then things went south about 8 min into the first flight.
You would think it would have affected everyone who flew in that time zone that day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop