Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another thought.......

Great news!!!
The anomalies in the telemetry are currently of some concern. Solar or a glitch?

@Steve Carr so far your analysis jives with my recollection of the events. It started looking squirrely to me so as you can see I tried to bring it around and land near me on level ground as opposed to the slope it was over.

Thanks again. I don't think I was losing my mind anymore. ;)

Question Ron, what were the wind conditions when you made that flight?

If I recall correctly the wind was gusting to 15mph. Nothing I hadn’t flown in many times. Later that afternoon/early evening things changed and there were gusts up to 25 and overnight up to 35 as the weather front came through.

If I recall correctly the wind was gusting to 15mph. Nothing I hadn’t flown in many times. Later that afternoon/early evening things changed and there were gusts up to 25 and overnight up to 35 as the weather front came through.
Okay. That could explain the unusual pitch and roll movements in the log. I should have asked earlier.

I want to thank everyone for their good wishes in the recovery of my drone. It paid off.

I've got my TH 480 back!!!!

I met the gentleman that found it a little bit ago. He was near the tree Friday morning with his kids and said it was on a low branch and he reached up and got it. It was originally up about 50' in the pine tree. He got my phone number and name from stickers on the TH480 not all the signs I put up.

Amazingly the only physical damage I can see is one busted prop and some pine sap. Even got lucky as the pine sap was only a couple of globs on the camera shell and on the ND filter. I've lived long enough in the south to know how to deal with pine sap.

Next up is to go through all the normal tests and checks for flight worthiness.

Again....thanks to everyone for the good wishes
Great News Ron!!

Reactions: rdonson
@Steve Carr has done a great job tearing apart and showing the telemetry of my flyaway. Here's a 2:38 clip of video before the drone went AWOL into the tree. It shows what the camera was seeing during some of the period Steve documented. Apologies for the lack of audio but I couldn't find anything appropriate for this occasion. The video is basically straight out of the camera. No color corrections, sharpening, etc. just a clip.

Background: I come here often and practice flying. I have targets that I go for and moves that I'm trying to improve on, especially with the camera. Some do home roof inspections, here I inspect the silo without a roof. :D That's one of my practice routines. With only 150 flights I've got so much more to learn.

P.S. that's me in the orange shirt and hat at 1:37

@Steve Carr has done a great job tearing apart and showing the telemetry of my flyaway. Here's a 2:38 clip of video before the drone went AWOL into the tree. It shows what the camera was seeing during some of the period Steve documented. Apologies for the lack of audio but I couldn't find anything appropriate for this occasion. The video is basically straight out of the camera. No color corrections, sharpening, etc. just a clip.

Background: I come here often and practice flying. I have targets that I go for and moves that I'm trying to improve on, especially with the camera. Some do home roof inspections, here I inspect the silo without a roof. :D That's one of my practice routines. With only 150 flights I've got so much more to learn.

P.S. that's me in the orange shirt and hat at 1:37

This really should not be happening especially where your drone was new and had ther latest firmware. The H has been around now what 2 years and we still have fly Aways? Not acceptable Mr yuneec!

Wings, I don’t think Steve has finished looking at things so it’s hard to blame Yuneec at this point. They built the craft but not all the components. Also it might still turn out to be my fault. With all the components and software involved in keeping a drone flying it’s a wonder they’re as reliable as they are. These are computers with props. This technology is still pretty new and will look quite different in 5 years IMHO.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Wings,

With all due respect to DJI, they've been around longer as a consumer drone company than anyone and they still have fly away's too. At this level there are zero component, manufacturing, or performance certifications associated with our equipment. We get what we get, and hope for the best. These are not precision aircraft, just expensive toys.

Wings, I don’t think Steve has finished looking at things so it’s hard to blame Yuneec at this point. They built the craft but not all the components. Also it might still turn out to be my fault. With all the components and software involved in keeping a drone flying it’s a wonder they’re as reliable as they are. These are computers with props. This technology is still pretty new and will look quite different in 5 years IMHO.
I'd like to take a look at the Remote_00037.csv file. I promise this is the last one.

This really should not be happening especially where your drone was new and had ther latest firmware. The H has been around now what 2 years and we still have fly Aways? Not acceptable Mr yuneec!
Many types of aircrafts been around for decades and they also unfortunately crash.;)

Ron: We all love our H, I understand. However, if your bird had flown away into a person, car window, or home I suspect you might feel a little bit different especially when an Attorney calls. We all don't want to stop flying our birds but these Fly Aways are a risk that we should NOT be exposed to. with the H at this point in its life, IMO.. Each one of us has to manage our own risk and make our own judgement. The jury is still out for me. Flying the H will not be the same now for me.

Last edited:
Ron: We all love our H, I understand. However, if your bird had flown away into a person, car window, or home I suspect you might feel a little bit different especially when an Attorney calls. We all don't want to stop flying our birds but these Fly Aways are a risk that we should NOT be exposed to. with the H at this point in its life, IMO.. Each one of us has to manage our own risk and make our own judgement. The jury is still out for me. Flying the H will not be the same now for me.
Stepping out side is a risk let alone driving a car. :rolleyes: That's why we have insurance.

Make your own judgement. I am not advocating that you stop flying. Its your risk. Do what you may. I know that, for me, flying my H will not be the same now.

If the solar storm was the cause. There’s just as good a chance that the GPS unit in the TH 480 simply isn’t as good as others on the market.

The good news is that an original replacement can be had for $40

If the GPS was better, it would be more than $40... personally, I would have happily paid a couple of hundred dollars more for better core components like the GPS unit. Just from the posts on this board, the GPS unit is known to be a crap shoot as to whether or not you have a bad one. Kind of like owning a Honda Prelude... it was known that you'd go through calipers like nothing, resulting in several complete brake jobs during the car's lifetime.

For those pilots who haven't plastered their names, phone number, FAA UAS ID on their drones yet this near loss may jolt you into action.

If you want another idea to do it and complement the labels on your ST16 here's a good way to go http://www.uavstickers.com/products.php

Love my stickers from them!

Ralphy's mother was right... "It's all fun and games until you shoot someone's eye out..."

Christmas Story Ralphy... I don't know about our Ralphy... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralphy
Hello Ron,

How did the battery do? I sent mine into a tree this past summer and by the time my tree guy retrieved it, several hours later, the battery had swelled up enough that it was hard to remove. In my case, it was a bit warmer and it was sitting in, almost, direct sunlight until rescued.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis