Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another thought.......

Has anybody considered the fact that some flyaways might be caused by dirt?

If the realsense or the sonar has any kind of dirt or even a small obstruction, it could be thought of as an obstacle and constantly tries to "get away" from it.
Sorry if I don't belive "dirt" as a reason for fly aways...no way. I am quite sure it's lack of "GPS almanack" update!

Sorry if I don't belive "dirt" as a reason for fly aways...no way. I am quite sure it's lack of "GPS almanack" update!

Do you think the GPS Almanac would degrade in a week?

My flyaway today (GPS error) was exactly 1 week after I flew 5 times without a problem at the same location.

Thanks, wings!

I doubt there's much to figure out. Unless... someone comes up with a suggestion for a GPS module that's compatible with the TH480 and works better.

I've called a tree service and maybe, just maybe, I can get them to retrieve my TH480 tomorrow.

Then it's back home to see what broke and replace parts. I'm pretty sure at least one prop and maybe an arm bit the dust as I got the 5 rotor warning when it went in. The video was still showing me live video of the tree branches so hopefully that's unharmed.

Wow, that is really upsetting. Ron, still being knew to the H I thought that if you lost GPS the drone would still fly ok but you would just have to be involved more in keeping the bird steady. Can a simple loss of GPS lead to the fly away?

If you look back to the beginnings of this thread you'll see that GPS failure/dropping is the most common reason for flyaways with the TH480. With DJI drones if they lose GPS they automatically go into ATTI mode which is manual control with the sticks. AFAIK that isn't the way the TH works. You have to turn off the GPS in the controller to get manual control. Today I didn't have the time to do that.

That's interesting. Someone mentioned that there is a button, top right corner of the ST16 that does nothing right now. They mentioned that it would be great if Yuneec could make that button a GPS on or off control. The more important question for me is what makes the bird take off just because of the loss of GPS? Is there a flaw in the Firmware? If
I manually turn off GPS you say that one could regain control?

This is upsetting because many of us bought the H around the Xmas holiday and I guess we are all at risk for this.

AFAIK the button you mention is not programmable although many have talked about that.

More experienced pilots on the TH might be able to answer "why" the bird takes off with a GPS error or failure. I doubt that it's a firmware flaw.

Yes, that's why the most experienced pilots in this forum preach learning how to fly without GPS as that is really at sign of pilot skills and can save your bacons in recovering from GPS going south. In my case there simply was not time to turn off GPS and get control.

When you get into flying drones or RC aircraft there is no guarantee that things will never glitch. Crashes are just part of the hobby. A risk that you're willing to take. It hurts the first time but then you learn how to fix them or who to send them to a repair shop. Somehow it's easier to swallow if you know the crash was your fault (pilot error).

Most likely some of them were flying around in Smart mode a long ways out and suddenly lost GPS and did the one thing you never, ever should do when you lose GPS, flip into RTH mode. Their H would have been a long ways away when it suddenly discovered it was lost and the path it took to get home could no longer be found. Where does it go? It can go anywhere.

Pat, what occurs when switched into RTH mode. I thought I read other threads indicating to switch to RTH if you loose site, then switch out of RTH when it gets back into vision?

Pat is speaking of loosing GPS and then switching RTH.
RTH works by GPS.
If GPS is lost switching to RTH is a roulette.

Loosing sight physically is something quite different. Then you can fly home according to the green arrow on the screen of your ST or switch RTH until you can see it again.

Do you think the GPS Almanac would degrade in a week?

My flyaway today (GPS error) was exactly 1 week after I flew 5 times without a problem at the same location.
Yes rdonson! If you haven't been in the air for a week or moved away more than 100km, (East/West) the almanac HAS degraded and you should ALSO do a GPS calibr.
Read this: GPS Time to First Fix (TTFF) Defined
For safety reasons stay on the ground with power on, but not running the props, for 12,5min if you are uncertain.

Pat is speaking of loosing GPS and then switching RTH.
RTH works by GPS.
If GPS is lost switching to RTH is a roulette.

Loosing sight physically is something quite different. Then you can fly home according to the green arrow on the screen of your ST or switch RTH until you can see it again.
Clear now... I was thinking differently... lost signal due to distance that indicated lost GPS... but due to signal loss. Normally the lost GPS is indicated in sync with distance. For the short range gps loss, I was considsring them as more accurate GPS loss issues.

Yes rdonson! If you haven't been in the air for a week or moved away more than 100km, (East/West) the almanac HAS degraded and you should ALSO do a GPS calibr.
Read this: GPS Time to First Fix (TTFF) Defined
For safety reasons stay on the ground with power on, but not running the props, for 12,5min if you are uncertain.

This is news to me. It’s been a month or so since I let the GPS have it’s 12.5 minutes to gather itself. This location was about 3 miles (LOS) from where it was performed.

What is a GPS calibration? I have calibrated the compass but I’m unaware of any GPS calibration on the ST-16.

FWIW I don’t start the props and lift off for the first 3-4 min after the ST-16 and TH480 have connected. I always wait until I see the ST-16 report more than a sufficient number of satellites.

It’s weird that none of my friends with DJI drones report needing to perform these GPS functions on their drones.

Thanks for the reply Ron. Any chance telemetry might provide a clue?

Yes, I’ll look for the telemetry file and the 720p video on the ST-16, hopefully later today.

First order of business today is meeting with the tree service to get my bird out of the tree. They said no problem and I’ll likely meet them at 1-2pm on location.

This is news to me. It’s been a month or so since I let the GPS have it’s 12.5 minutes to gather itself. This location was about 3 miles (LOS) from where it was performed.

What is a GPS calibration? I have calibrated the compass but I’m unaware of any GPS calibration on the ST-16.

FWIW I don’t start the props and lift off for the first 3-4 min after the ST-16 and TH480 have connected. I always wait until I see the ST-16 report more than a sufficient number of satellites.

It’s weird that none of my friends with DJI drones report needing to perform these GPS functions on their drones.
Sorry, excuse me rdonson.. I ment, of course COMPASS calibration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital