Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another Use for the Red Button... Landing!

So.... you didn't do short presses on the red button until you were close to the ground (under a foot or so) and then press and hold down the red button until the props stopped?

Just trying to understand what went wrong, not criticizing.

Reactions: NWSaint
So.... you didn't do short presses on the red button until you were close to the ground (under a foot or so) and then press and hold down the red button until the props stopped?

Just trying to understand what went wrong, not criticizing.
Yes, it was a couple of months ago. Didn't do short presses. Didn't see the video.

I use it when i land. If i go to land the drone and ill have it just barely above the ground probably a couple inches up, ill push the red button and itll slowly come down and ill get that nice easy landing every time. It entirely eliminates the risk of a flip.

I will be scared to try this. It is a kill switch after all.

The left stick descend is fine with me.

I will be scared to try this. It is a kill switch after all.

The left stick descend is fine with me.

You are correct, that the left stick descent is the primary and preferred way to land... the red button is a kill switch... but only when pressed and held for 3 seconds. Do this experiment, which will demonstrate this technique with little risk to your H... bring your H down with the left stick... hover 1 foot above the ground... do not press and hold the red button... just click it in and release. See what the H does.

The point is that clicking the red button, and holding the red button are 2 separate discernible actions recognized by the ST-16... no different than your computer recognizing the difference between clicking your left mouse button, and holding down your left mouse button... 2 separate actions, applied to the same hardware control.

I do not recommend any pilot use techniques they are uncomfortable with... but the more options available, when your descent seems less than ideal... the better. Take-off is optional... landing is not.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
This is a good demo of using the kill button if you are having trouble landing especially when wind is involved. Don't try this over 3' above the ground. Only bump the button to descend. After you are about a foot high, press and hold the red button until the H lands and the motors shut off.

I use the red button technique quite often, it allows a smooth Landing

Reactions: NWSaint and CSI
I have been landing by hovering down to a few inches, then using the red button.
The one landing issue I have had was trying to set down on a sloping surface.
The slope was about 10 degrees, which proved to be too much.
Since then, if the LZ is not flat, I hand catch.
(Holding the red button works well with a hand catch.)

Last edited:
I had to use this today to bring my dirt back down becuse it refused to respond to the left joystick down ..

I have been landing by hovering down to a few inches, then using the red button.
The one landing issue I have had was trying to set down on a sloping surface.
The slope was about 10 degrees, which proved to be too much.
Since then, if the LZ is not flat, I hand catch.

Yes always land on a flat level surface. Otherwise your drone make it up over and break some props.
Always hand catch if you have no level surface.

Found this method helpful when landing on a boat when for whatever reason I don't want to hand catch it. If you try to land with your left stick on a rocking boat it seems that sometimes H fails to recognize it's on the 'ground' trying to go up and down despite that landing gear is physically resting on the boat which may cause the drone to tip over on it's side.

If you position it where you want to land it, let go of the left stick as it's almost to touch the boat and hit the start/stop button then it gently descents and doesn't make any nervous maneuvers once it's already landed on it's landing gear.

Reactions: AussieCate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430