Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another Use for the Red Button... Landing!

Up until the latest firmware for the ST16 I was able to use the red kill button to put the ST16 to sleep when in 'pad' mode. This was a great way to conserve the batteries in the ST16 while I was NOT actively flying my H such as when reviewing FlightLogParser (the app on the ST16 that crashes all the time), vids, pix, telemetry data etc.. I miss it.

I've used the red button method a few times. Usually around 3-4' up and it's worked great for me. A very smooth landing for me on all 3 times. Smoother than I usually get.

Reactions: Steve Carr
So heads up. Apparently something is up with the red button thing. I tried it and my H dropped like a rock. Broke landing gear, 2 clips and the camera housing. Be careful

So heads up. Apparently something is up with the red button thing. I tried it and my H dropped like a rock. Broke landing gear, 2 clips and the camera housing. Be careful

So sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you're able to repair and back in the air soon.

Can you provide more details about the crash?

How high were you? Were you just tapping the red button? How close to a dead battery? etc.

So sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you're able to repair and back in the air soon.

Can you provide more details about the crash?

How high were you? Were you just tapping the red button? How close to a dead battery? etc.

About 14.8 on the pack, 5 feet, tapped it. Rip haha. I'll call Yuneec on tuesday to order the parts

Holy Moly! I'm also sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure that back when I first tested that, I did one about that high. Notice that Steve says not over 3' high.

Since that first time though, I use it a lot but always only from a couple feet or less. A few inches is good.

Suppose your button is getting a bit sticky inside? Slow to release contact?

Holy Moly! I'm also sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure that back when I first tested that, I did one about that high.
Since then though, I use it a lot but always only from a couple feet or less.

Suppose your button is getting a bit sticky inside? Slow to release contact?

I think I might have held it by accident. Not bad for damages. It will be flying again in a week or two.

Had fun chasing a DJI Spark. But the kicker was when it dropped and became a pancake. It continued to do its happy little chimes which made it all the funnier!

Since getting my H back, I have finally been able to experiment with this technique,
and I am very happy with the results. Consistent drop of about 8" - 1' with each click.

I like that holding the button when within a couple of inches from the ground removes the
conditions of the dreaded tip over, from the motors occasionally not idling down quickly.

Also, with that type of a graduated landing, with first click to last hold being in several
distinct steps, it is important to face into the wind to minimize drifting between clicks,
but still gives you the opportunity to correct drifting as necessary, in between those clicks.

Nice to have another method to safely get back to solid ground, beyond hand catching.
The more options we have as pilots, the better. :)

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you have got your H up and running again being as I am totally new to flying the H I find information like using the red button to land very useful thanks to everyone for the bits of information.

S
I like that holding the button when within a couple of inches from the ground removes the
conditions of the dreaded tip over, from the motors occasionally not idling down quickly.

Yes, when the H is drifting just above my landing pad (< 1 foot) and I can't get it to settle down as much as I'd like the RED BUTTON helps tremendously to land it gently and kill the motors thus avoiding the ignominious tip over.

New to this (the Typhoon H) as I am and having watched some video on the tube by various experts I thought that red button 'jog' landing was the norm.

Having flown other lesser craft where I find difficulty with a soft landing in some circumstances, I find the jog landing great since at 3 feet using it helps with prop wash and on landing the motor kill just makes sense to me.

I had never thought of this method for landing, thanks for posting. Here is a link to a similiar video which shows multiple landings in both the 'red button' mode and 'left stick' mode.

Both above videos are great, have to try those out, specially the Red Button one,
bye
davawt

st16 + typhoon h480.

Is there a system to activate the shutdown of engines in flight in the event of safety?

Hold the red start/stop button down a few seconds and I'm sure the motors will stop spinning

Expect a sudden drop from the sky unfortunately. First time I tried my new RS TH it would not stop
climbing and I had no down stick at all. I was trying IPS and headed for a ceiling. I cold shut down and dropped ten feet. That broke a landing gear motor and a motor arm latch. Post repair, the IPS has been flawless. The repair damage was less from the drop then it would have been from a ceiling strike.

Had my H up yesterday taking some pictures. Was about 12' off the ground, and hit the wrong button. As most know the ST16 Red Kill is almost in the same spot as the ST10 Still Capture. Dropped about 6 feet before I realized my mistake. Whew, that was close!

Had my H up yesterday taking some pictures. Was about 12' off the ground, and hit the wrong button. As most know the ST16 Red Kill is almost in the same spot as the ST10 Still Capture. Dropped about 6 feet before I realized my mistake. Whew, that was close!
Yes indeed. Every time I pick up an ST10 I take a picture. :)

FYI, I tried doing this from 6 foot height. It slowly dropped to about 4 feet, then the motors all stopped.
Landed on grass
Broke four of the metal clips that hold the arms up, and broke off the rails that hold the camera in place.
About 18$ of parts to fix.
Live and Learn!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech