Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another Use for the Red Button... Landing!

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This is a good demo of using the kill button if you are having trouble landing especially when wind is involved. Don't try this over 3' above the ground. Only bump the button to descend. After you are about a foot high, press and hold the red button until the H lands and the motors shut off.

Last edited:
This is a good demo of using the kill button if you are having trouble landing especially when wind is involved. Don't try this over 3' above the ground. Only bump the button to descend. After you are about a foot high then hold down the button to complete the landing and immediately shut off the motors.

I like short "How To" videos, but this must be the shortest yet. I like it. I never heard of that before.

Naturally I had to go try this. Went through one battery messing with it in a breeze of 6-8 mph. Took off and landed at least a dozen times.
Works great.

Works fine from 10' down (did not try higher), you just keep bumping the Red button and it drops a bit each time. You can still use the right stick to center the drone, but not when bumping the button. Touching the ground is OK, or 6 to 12 inches high, when you finally hold the Red button down and kill the motors. Notice on the video he did not try to center above the pad.

This is super! Maybe you should put it in the Help Sticky, Steve.:):):)

This is a good demo of using the kill button if you are having trouble landing especially when wind is involved. Don't try this over 3' above the ground. Only bump the button to descend. After you are about a foot high then hold down the button to complete the landing and immediately shut off the motors.

Is that a "side-effect" or is it intentionally programmed that way??

Reactions: Agent Smith
Are you going to post pics or video? I've been filming fireworks in Gorgeous and then pulling frames off for pics. Works fairly well.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Works fine from 10' down (did not try higher), you just keep bumping the Red button and it drops a bit each time. You can still use the right stick to center the drone, but not when bumping the button. Touching the ground is OK, or 6 to 12 inches high, when you finally hold the Red button down and kill the motors. Notice on the video he did not try to center above the pad.
This is super! Maybe you should put it in the Help Sticky, Steve.:):):)
The guy who made the video specifically mentioned.........never try this above 6'. Apparently there may be a height that could result in an unhappy ending. I think 3' is a safe and reasonable height.

Reactions: Rayray
Both, I'm putting up two airframes, one for close-up videos/stills (not a TH, because I don't want my TH hit by a firework. I think I can sacrifice a $300 3dr, plus the GoPro records both at the same time) and a TH for distance video. My city is having their expensive display less than mile from my house. Lucky me!

Reactions: Steve Carr

This is great had no idea this can be done, have used this method several times during landings. Thanks for this info.:cool:

Reactions: Steve Carr
Three of us tried this today. It worked perfectly. Get down to 1' and then press and hold. It lands and then shuts off the motors. Very smooth landing.

How does the bump appear in the logs? Does it appear there at all?
In the remote log it shows up as a zero in Ch 0 each time it is pressed and the number of rows where it's stays at zero indicates the duration.
In the H telemetry it is a bit less obvious. It appears the flight mode changes from 3 to 16 each time the button is pressed and back to 3 when it's released. If it's held in long enough the flight mode stays at 16 which means the motors have shut off.

Clever people, that's what I love about forum's, Wish we had forums when I built my first remote control car back in 1958.

I had never thought of this method for landing, thanks for posting. Here is a link to a similiar video which shows multiple landings in both the 'red button' mode and 'left stick' mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval