Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Antenna Mod Help Please

Reaction score
Hi everyone I know that I've asked a part of this before but first has anyone done 5.8Ghz Antenna Mod on the H? That Antenna is unfortunately directly inside of the camera housing & the housing self-balances with that in account, & our CGO3+ gimbals have the 360 forever spin so can't mount any external unless you want to give that up. But I have 2 Ideas that may work if no one is able to provide me with info on a mod or a link to see or read about it, which are 1st possibly trying to mount the antenna directly on the gimbal as it comes down with the single vertical column then splits off to wrap "arms around the camera body, maybe drilling a small hole & routing a cable out of the bottom toward the filter of the camera so that if you point that cam all the looking down towards the ground the cable wouldn't bind or pinch. 2nd idea is because I've already seen that the stock antenna is only a 3 leaf clover so there is definitely room to improve there.

Now onto my other part of my question here, I'am inventorying my parts to be able to do both the st16 3rd antenna & the H's external antennas mods as well as Ill be replacing all the stock antenna cabling with better quality. Im just wanting/needing to know what antenna cables I need IE 2x@ 6" long with SMA- Female on one end & MMCX on the other plus what is the best quality I'd be able to put in while still maintaining a small amount of give & bend as to be able to route through the required routing channels fairly easy (side note is there anything else we may be able to do to possibly shield the cabling a bit better or improve the signal such as applying aluminum foil patches over any certain areas that may have that chance of producing RF noise.
I already know the length and ends I need for the external antennas on the H but what is the best quality antenna type I can get that still will route through all the necessary areas it needs to.

Has any of you heard or seen any use mod that has an antenna signal booster that is soldered into place INSIDE of the ST16? I found a 2W booster on Aliexpress that mount & stays inside of the st16 its just a flat black circuit board, then I've even seen people put a booster on to the same line that is already being boosted Just make me curious of whether or not having two boosters on the same line can improve over what a single booster can do with out producing a ton of RF noise in the process.

Haven't gotten much response to this in the past so hopefully this time is the charm, come on people tell me or point me somewhere I can get these answers.

Thanks Tom C

Reactions: JB1
I did both the st16 and the H I ordered multiple antennas and wires they were cheap some were more found no diff. Also it didn't extend the range all that much..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not even so much I have a inspire 1 and it breaks up after 1200ft. Depends on where you fly to i guess. My H before the antenna mod got about 500ft before it got choppy. Now with the mods I can get like 2500 before it gets choppy. Still nowhere near what they claim. I only fly out far in empty places by the shore or open fields. So no signals to mess anytging up so idk.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not sure of the fascination for long distance flight. I fly VLOS within the UK rules 500m and that is quite enough. I can understand FPV on a foam light aircraft but not a quad or hexacopter.

Reactions: abinder
Not sure of the fascination for long distance flight. I fly VLOS within the UK rules 500m and that is quite enough. I can understand FPV on a foam light aircraft but not a quad or hexacopter.

There might be certain applications in the commercial world where this could be useful, but I think primarily it's more for bragging rights than anything else.

More importantly would be signal quality in the range that you do fly. And I think. long range antenna modifications do help in that area to some extent.

The problem is that you can boost the output with amplifiers from the ST16 and even improve the reception with high-gain antennas. But there is currently no way to increase the signal strength from the H itself. If someone figures out how to do that without killing the already short battery life, that would be a game changer!

I would not recommend installing internal boosters inside the ST16. That would add heat and decrease the battery life. You could use an external booster with it's own battery and attach with velcro to the back side of the controller which would not affect the warranty.
If you change the antennas be certain you are getting the proper ones. I think Yuneec uses LHCP (left hand circular polarization).

Reactions: WesBur13
I think people also forget about the FCC.
The ST-16, CGO3+, and the H all contain a transmitter that was type accepted by the FCC. Soon as you add an amplifier you have violated the FCC type acceptance.
I typically keep my H no further out than I can see and know which way it is oriented.
3500 feet is furthest I have ever been out and then it was a very very small dot. If I want to photograph something that far away, I just move and take off closer to the subject.
Fly safe.

Reactions: Harveymoon
Why do all other drone manufacturers from 3DR to Yuneec concede the flight distance crown to DJI. This has been going on for the past three to four years. I guest DJI is the king and all the others bow down.

Your choice. Get what you want. We have a Phantom Forum here, they will be happy to welcome you.
DJI Phantom Drone Forum

I think people also forget about the FCC.
The ST-16, CGO3+, and the H all contain a transmitter that was type accepted by the FCC. Soon as you add an amplifier you have violated the FCC type acceptance.
I typically keep my H no further out than I can see and know which way it is oriented.
3500 feet is furthest I have ever been out and then it was a very very small dot. If I want to photograph something that far away, I just move and take off closer to the subject.
Fly safe.

Actually…. The FCC granted authorization on the Typhoon H and ST16 with fixed/non removable antennas on the ST16 (as Yuneec stated in their test results). There is a reason why all the other manufacturers have fixed antennas --- To pass FCC type acceptance. Yes, it seems all of our mods, amp or not, voids the FCC acceptance.

My "excuse" for any antenna mods is to assure control in high RF areas or areas with heavy foliage that could effect signal. I vote for a solid video signal before I worry about going past LOS. As a videographer, I want to see what I am shooting with the least lag --- Even consider using the video feed from the H for live work. Boosting signal with amps can get dicey as many add noise to the signal and could create data communications issues….

Reactions: BlackHawk
Why do all other drone manufacturers from 3DR to Yuneec concede the flight distance crown to DJI. This has been going on for the past three to four years. I guest DJI is the king and all the others bow down.

Going further than the others is frowned upon and generally illegal. If you loose video what do you do when it's 2 miles out? You have no idea what it could do if you flip RTH. Most pilots I've talked to who do the long range flights deal with video loss and loss of aircraft it more often than you think.

My H Pro has broken 1 mile with ease, do I want to go that far again? **** no! I had no visual of the drone other than the viewfinder, if I lost that I could try RTH but who know if it would work correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BlackHawk
I like VLOS but its not always possible in professional flights. i want reliable connection. Recently i have had an issue where VLOS was lost by the observer and I lost video downlink. Will post the scariest part of the video. I went up to 141 ft and guess what the video thought me? Altitude Altitude Altitude!

Ok well I guess I'll be the first one to be HONEST whenever I post. I bought The Brand NEW Itelite DBS05.6B the triple Antenna version. I now plan to Open my ST16 (Yes I know it WILL void the warranty) & replace all of the antenna cables with much higher quality ones (& if you do this whole procedure correctly, It Will Improve your signal by minimizing the noise loss which in turn will also give you a bit better video feed) I do plan to install 1 or possibly 2 Internal 2w Boosters (if I'm concerned with battery power on my TX after I look at the boosters to see what they draw then I'll just mount a nice & clean plug to be able to connect an external Lipo to power just those. Also I don't plan on spending all this money & time to just waste it away to added noise from the boosters so it will indeed include RF filters. The nice part about the internal boosters are that instead of connecting wires to them it is getting directly soldered into position (Please I can not take anymore, "Talking Down" "Belittlying" or "You think no one else is as smart as you" kind of talk so if your post includes telling me to make sure & be careful when soldering inside the ST16 cuz it could do this or that & Void the Warranty) There are to many members on this forum that try & play Mommy to everyone with just about every post they write, I've had matches & I didn't burn anything down unless it was intentional, I own lighters that produce flames that Yes believe it or not are HOT!! Yet I've managed not to burn myself, shoot guns yet I haven't shot myself. I'am just not sure how all of you Mothering figure grew up or what you lacked during childhood but seriously enough is enough & DO NOT try & play any of this off as your "watching out for the sport/hobby because If there are any mistakes it will impact all of us card". Because I know that the FAA would love to find violations so they can put laws against many things but it doesn't mean I'm going to be the one making those mistakes. After awhile of hearing this crap, the desire to want to go fly your H is very minimal at most because you feel like you being watched more than convicted felons. Case in point, while in Phoenix, Arizona over Thanksgiving I went to a flight park (which is were the FAA would like to restrict you to only going to them, while I was there, there were only 6 others that were all out flying Planes. I didn't go over & bother them or critique everything that they were doing, Instead after noticing they were all flying planes I didn't want to get in their way so I went far off away from them & set up my landing pad & started flying my H. After about 10 mins into flying I hear a guy approaching me & I didn't think much of it & thought he may just be curious & want to watch, NO I was wrong it was as if the guy were one of the members on here that try to police everyone in what they are doing except know I was looking straight at Barny Fife, he watched for about 2 minutes then start to talk to me saying things like make sure your lower than those planes (refering to commercial airlines not the RC planes) & I think you need to bring that closer cuz I don't think you can see it that far away, I proceeded to tell him no I'm well below the planes & no I can see it just fine (it was a entirely wide open flat area). He piped up again, which now pissed me off & he said I think your to far out there cuz your not supposed to fly over any houses (there were houses on the other side of this 60' dirt embankment & yes I could see the homes but that was because of my altitude to see over the dirt wall, so I finally turned around & asked point blank - are you in anyway affiliated with the FAA or part of any law enforcement group. he said NO, I then said "Ok great so why don't you either stand back & enjoy watching or go over & bother other people cuz just because your old *** eyes can't see anything doesn't mean I'm incapable as well!! He then gave me a weird look & walked away!!

Those kind of people in person or on this forum are Truly the ones that are Ruining this Hobby 10x Faster than any restrictions or laws will be in place. Look at my thread Now, I posted this Thread for the sole purpose of asking for a bit of info on antenna's needed to do a mod & whether I was going to use them to cut grass or mod my H it wouldn't matter cuz it is my business NOT yours all you should worry about is yourself & what you are doing & if you have something of value to add to this post that relates to the topic then you can post it on this thread IE if you know any of the lengths of antennas i need or can provide a link to show me where to get that info. If you do not use curse words in yor lifestyle & do not appreciate them used by others when around them, do you set yourself ot on a mission to abolish all curse words so that no one ever can say them again??? No your right instead you distance your self from those that don';t have your same values in life, IE go back to your group of people & allow them to go to there grouping of people. I think I or someone else needs to start up a different forum for the Typhoon H & if its upto me I'll remove all access to those that keep trying to police everybody because the first time or even the second time they do it you can play it off to trying to keep from the FAA pouncing down on us with rules & regulations but when it is constant like this then you know that they must have been Bullied when younger or were always the outcast because they can all be Super Ninja Keyboard Warriors but seriously if this where an in person setting & there was this much of that crap going on there would be mass beatings. after of course you read the rules to us all & remove your glasses & pocket protectors & set it next to your lunch money. Look if you havent yet noticed I no longer care for the answer to my question which was the topic of this thread that I started & from now one every time I see you trolls trolling on others telling them what they can & cannot do I'm reporting it because if that is NOT OFF-TOPIC I dont know what is..

Thank you to all that did provide me with info of value to my question. & to all the rest QUIT hacking all my threads with your mothering crap & leave others anyone as well & then Maybe someone around here will be able to get the right anwer to there questions. Before their threads get past page 4.
Thanks Tom C

Ok well I guess I'll be the first one to be HONEST whenever I post....

We'll that'll really help....start off your post by calling everyone here a liar. You're new to this social thing, aren't you?
You're in a forum. You're going to get many different opinions from many different people. Some may contain truths, regardless of how much they differ. You talk about not wanting to hear belittling for posting an opinion yet you are guilty of exactly that, in the same post you admonish people for it. Smdh

If you have a problem with your replies, don't blow a circuit and write a TLDR post...just find somewhere else to pose your query.

We'll that'll really help....start off your post by calling everyone here a liar. You're new to this social thing, aren't you?
You're in a forum. You're going to get many different opinions from many different people. Some may contain truths, regardless of how much they differ. You talk about not wanting to hear belittling for posting an opinion yet you are guilty of exactly that, in the same post you admonish people for it. Smdh

If you have a problem with your replies, don't blow a circuit and write a TLDR post...just find somewhere else to pose your query.

"HedoBum" Yes you are absolutely correct that I am guilty of exactly the same thing that I'm calling other out on. Unfortunately I did not intend to do that nor did I intend to call "Everyone" liars, actually wasn't meaning on calling Anyone liars but instead what I was trying to say when I started off my post with "I guess I'll be the first to be Honest" is to tell others to instead of writing basically the same thing in most every post they encounter that relates to antenna mods or long range signal mods by saying that they "ONLY" fly VLOS or LOS & don't break any rules, regulations etc. to just be honest with themselves & all of us others. Whether you do or do not fly VLOS or LOS no one wants to continually hear about it, because we come on here to these forums to share results, recording, ask questions etc. No one on here is part of the FCC or FAA or for that matter is going to try & report people to any authorities for simply wanting info on how to do long range mods or the like & even if they did I'm sure that the FAA or FCC has much better things to do than to try & chase down a single individual that is simply flying further than LOS, now obviously if your writing things that state the reason your wanting to mod your TX or RX is so you can fly in restricted airspace or worse than you may draw some attention from authorities.

When I said that I do not want to hear people's belittling comments, if you go back & re-read the context that I put that in you will see that what I was meaning was those that continually tell other "in a sense what to do or how to do it, but in the way it comes off as if they are talking to their children that have NEVER done anything like whatever it is they are commenting on", I do appreciate the fact that others are trying to look out for everyone as a whole as to possibly prevent someone from "frying" their ST16 or their H by improperly trying to MOD something without enough background knowledge but at the same time I do not find it necessary for others to reiterate the same thing over & over on the same thread or to the same person across multiple threads. Basically in a nutshell all that I'm wanting is to find members on this forum that rather than trying to "mother" others each time they see a thread, to instead either provide valued information related to the specific thread or if they don't have any info on it then just do not post on that thread to just fill it up with post after post worth of information going down the page that is so far off topic it's ridiculous.

I think that it may be advisable to the forum moderators to possible make a CLOSED/LOCKED thread that stays permanently at the top of the forum that has all the information that many other on here feel that they need to continually reiterate on every new thread to people. For example in that CLOSED thread include what all of us should have common knowledge of like the FAA rules & regulation (& NO they are not called Laws), Max altitude, along with the other FAA rules. I state that such thread should it be considered be LOCKED/CLOSED so that no one other than the forum moderators can edit or add additional information that could possibly incorrect, missinterpretted, or just so that the thread does not end up being filled with post after post worth of members stating the exact same thing over & over, because you can agree with someone's post without having to add an additional post to the thread in the way of simply pressing the "LIKE" button that appears at the bottom of each post that way again the thread does not get overloaded with posts that do not related to the original topic or that simply only contain 5 words stating how someone agrees etc.

Anyway now that all of this has been OVERLY discussed & is extremely off topic & yet still no one has provided any topic related valued information other than the first post & partially the second post on this thread. I'm now having to start a NEW thread ASKING the same original question that I'm trying to find the answer to. Thank you all for looking out for me & others but please allow questions to be answered etc that relate directly to the thread topic rather than starying off topic or reiterating well known knowledge about FAA rules etc. Tom C

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop